Pro-668: Headphone Jack Malfunctioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

My Pro-668/WS1088 developed an issue. When I plug in my headphones or a 3.5mm cord to plug into the aux on my car's head unit the squelch opens and the speaker goes to full volume and then some. The display starts to flash and the battery icon shows the battery is drained. When I unplug the headphones the radio quiets down and operates normally. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and any possible solutions, other than the obvious of not plugging in the headphones.

n0nhp

To extend battery life and create more audio, the audio from the hand-held devices is what is called "Balanced Transformerless audio". This basically means that the "ground" side of the audio out is not ground. I am assuming you are using a power cord to save/charge your batteries. By plugging in the external audio on your stereo system you are pulling the audio chip in the scanner to an unbalanced condition.
You need an audio isolation transformer to mate the scanner to the radio so the ground is broken but the audio passes.
A quick search on ebay or amazon will provide multiple choices. Most of the manufactured solutions will be stereo using RCA plugs. ex: PYRAMID NS20 15 AMP CAR AUDIO RCA NOISE FILTER SUPPRESSOR ISOLATION TRANSFORMER | eBay

You can use adapters or if you are handy, buy just the transformer and solder the plugs and cables yourself.

Bruce

GrumpyGuard

Thank you, everyone.
I shelved this issue until after the holidays and contacted Whistler over the weekend. One of there techs John answered my email and wanted to know if the IF Output was off. He gave me instructions on how to check and sure enough, it was on. I turned IF Output off and now the headphone jack works as it should.

I thought I should update all who gave suggestions as to how to fix the problem.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, everyone.
I shelved this issue until after the holidays and contacted Whistler over the weekend. One of there techs John answered my email and wanted to know if the IF Output was off. He gave me instructions on how to check and sure enough, it was on. I turned IF Output off and now the headphone jack works as it should.

I thought I should update all who gave suggestions as to how to fix the problem.
Operator error...number one cause of problems! Glad you got it working again!

GrumpyGuard

Operator error...number one cause of problems! Glad you got it working again
To be honest I thought it was an issue with the 3.5 mm plug. Because I bought the legacy upgrade I thought I should contact Whistler to see if they might be able to help or if I needed to send it in for repair. I must admit that I was happy when it turned out to be operator error.

Status
Not open for further replies.