Headphone Noise w/ "Nearly New" Eton Elite 750

Aremel

I purchased a "nearly new" Eton Elite 750 on eBay and received it today. The RF knob is really stiff but it's not a deal breaker. However, when listening to it with two different sets of headphones, I noticed a high pitched staccato noise, almost like morse code coming through. I could not hear that same sound as clearly through the system's speaker. Two thoughts - 1st, is there an issue with this radio or a common thing with Eton Elite radios or this model? 2nd, perhaps it's internal interference within the house and/or I need an external antenna? I have an internal 23' wire external antenna I can connect up tomorrow.

I didn't notice this with the Tecsun PL-990x I tried out, and perhaps I should have kept it but I don't know. I'm looking for some suggestions, ideas and perhaps comments which could lead this to a return, or me keeping it.

Thanks bunches!

Boombox

Was it on all frequencies, or just some? MW as well as SW? That info would help some folks here throw out some ideas as to what could be causing the noises.

Aremel

UPDATE:

I decided to return the radio. The RF Gain knob is exceptionally tight and I fear it breaking before too long. I also found that the noise I was hearing through the headphones could be increased by either wiggling or turning the plug in the headphone jack. That is, the same noise I was hearing all the time, was exacerbated even more by wiggling or turning the plug. This clearly shows a defect of some kind in the jack.

However, the seller has refused to accept the return saying that the stiffness with the RF Gain knob is completely normal, and that what I am hearing is completely normal interference noises from the airwaves. He even sent a copy of a page of the manual to me, I guess with the belief that I'm either completely dumb, or ignorant. I can say that neither issue was present with the Tecsun PL-990x, a radio I regret now sending back.

Someone once told me the opposite of good is better, and I guess he was right. Lesson learned and I will follow up with eBay in the required 3 business days for a refund. Please wish me a little luck.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

I decided to return the radio. The RF Gain knob is exceptionally tight and I fear it breaking before too long. I also found that the noise I was hearing through the headphones could be increased by either wiggling or turning the plug in the headphone jack. That is, the same noise I was hearing all the time, was exacerbated even more by wiggling or turning the plug. This clearly shows a defect of some kind in the jack.

However, the seller has refused to accept the return saying that the stiffness with the RF Gain knob is completely normal, and that what I am hearing is completely normal interference noises from the airwaves. He even sent a copy of a page of the manual to me, I guess with the belief that I'm either completely dumb, or ignorant. I can say that neither issue was present with the Tecsun PL-990x, a radio I regret now sending back.

Someone once told me the opposite of good is better, and I guess he was right. Lesson learned and I will follow up with eBay in the required 3 business days for a refund. Please wish me a little luck.
I think I have heard this same noise on another radio a long time ago. I cannot remember the exact brand and model. It probably is the radio's, for lack of a better term, main control circuit not filtered properly. Does the stocatto morse code like noise change when the keypad and tuning dial is used? If it does then you know it is from the main control circuit. We never should have to hear it. Our brain cannot process it. Tell that to E-Bay when you apply for a deserved refund. That seller needs to understand this as well.

Aremel

I think I have heard this same noise on another radio a long time ago. I cannot remember the exact brand and model. It probably is the radio's, for lack of a better term, main control circuit not filtered properly. Does the stocatto morse code like noise change when the keypad and tuning dial is used? If it does then you know it is from the main control circuit. We never should have to hear it. Our brain cannot process it. Tell that to E-Bay when you apply for a deserved refund. That seller needs to understand this as well.

Thank you. It's actually the seller that's causing the issue, not eBay, but I will let them know.

Aremel

UPDATE:

The seller "iRitzy" is making returning the radio as difficult as possible. Beware of sellers who say they won't accept returns. eBay says that they can accept returns and issue a refund, but the process is difficult. I won't buy from iRitzy again.

Aremel

UPDATE:

Online chat with customer service tonight. No resolution other than he/she would notify iRitzy that I wish to retrun the radio for a refund. I will even accept a new one that works properly if that works. I have a feeling that I'm stuck and if so, I won't deal with iRitzy again, and probably shy away from eBay. We'll see. I am waiting for a vintage Realistic DX-320 to arrive that is suppose to be working fine and looks great from the photos. Hoping I won't get stung twice. 🐝

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Here is the annoying sound, not heard on a Tecsun PL-880 or PL-990x. The radio volume is completely turned down, however this sound comes through clearly. Turn up your volume a bit as I had to record through the mic on the iPhone. Eton Elite 750 Abnormal Radio Sound with Volume All the Way Down
Okay I can confirm that noise is definitely from the radio's main control circuit that deals with keyboard, memory, clock, LCD display, etc.
I wouldn't give up on the refund. That radio is too expensive.

Boombox

Thanks for posting the link to that video. It gave a better picture of what you're dealing with.

Aremel

At this point I think I am stuck for now, unless I can find an electronics tech that can fix it. The seller who goes by "iRitzy", is completely unresponsive and apparently uncaring about selling a defective radio, an I've even provided a link to the audio to him and eBay. eBay isn't stepping in as they promise they will with disputes so there's that too.I am not knowledgeable on how to repair it. I will contact him or her or the company again tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

Grunddiigg

Thank you. So far, I am being completely ignored by the seller. Very frustrating.
You can file a claim with eBay themselves and get a refund. Make sure to say the radio is not as described. You will get your money back.

If you like that radio style go and purchase new from anon-co (Tecsun S2000 literally the same thing) in Hong Kong. Very good customer service and you will love your radio they are a Tecsun distributor.

I'm a intermittent seller on there and I don't accept returns but if I sent something that is unacceptable I would surely take care of it and issue a refund if needed.

Aremel

You can file a claim with eBay themselves and get a refund. Make sure to say the radio is not as described. You will get your money back.

If you like that radio style go and purchase new from anon-co (Tecsun S2000 literally the same thing) in Hong Kong. Very good customer service and you will love your radio they are a Tecsun distributor.

I'm a intermittent seller on there and I don't accept returns but if I sent something that is unacceptable I would surely take care of it and issue a refund if needed.

The problem is that I erroneously chose "I Changed My Mind", instead of the choice that there is something wrong with the item. I was in too much of a hurry I guess and wasn't careful. EBay says that by choosing the "I Changed My Mind" option, the seller doesn't have to refund the money or accept the return and the case is closed. I have explained over and over that I selected "I Changed My Mind" because I didn't want it because it is defective. The seller has refused to acknowledge me despite numerous attempts to contact "him" and eBay has refused to assist me twice now. I guess I'm stuck.

I've also explained that I would love to have the radio if it was working as promised but the seller said I just wanted to buy another radio. NOT true. I wanted an Eton Elite 750. Thanks for the reply. I won't do business with iRitzy ever again, and probably not with eBay if they are that strict with so-called rules.

By the way, since this fiasco, I have dealt with anon-co.com in the purchase of three radios, two of which I returned no questions asked. If I could afford it, I would use this Eton as a boat-anchor, or a door stop maybe, and purchase the Tecsun S-2000 from Anna.

Last edited:

Grunddiigg

Yeah, always discuss over the eBay email system with the seller and then file a claim if needed and always use not a described.

Sorry that it worked out that way for you. If you paid with a credit card you can call them and have them dispute and get your money back that way?

Aremel

Yeah, always discuss over the eBay email system with the seller and then file a claim if needed and always use not a described.

Sorry that it worked out that way for you. If you paid with a credit card you can call them and have them dispute and get your money back that way?

That may be a good option. It just shouldn't be this difficult. I guess there's always someone out there looking to take advantage of a situation. ☹️