Headphones?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Looking to replace my garage sale find Polaroid PHP8555 headphones. I liked these because they sounded good, were light, yet had earmuffs that were medium sized, well padded and sealed, and the cord with 1/8 inch jack was cloth covered. It was a cheap pair, yet did not feel cheap. However the plastic got sticky, parts started falling off. In short it is now a glob of superglue and spray paint.

I would like to get something similar but higher quality. It is for music primarily and communications secondary. I want wired, not wireless. Does not need to be foldable, in fact I prefer not to have too many moving parts.

1660760396894.jpeg

Attachments

• 1660760470796.jpeg
    1660760470796.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Now probably isn't a great time to look, I checked 5 stores and still came up empty looking for a set for my son (school requirement).

I use Cowin E7 (bluetooth) in my office and they are comfortable and have held up for a few years. I know you said not wireless, but I'd buy from them again.

I like the Anker Soundcore earbuds and bluetooth speaker I have, but have no experience with an over the ear versions.

Finding wired is becoming harder, and I refuse to spend over $100 on headphones.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Now probably isn't a great time to look, I checked 5 stores and still came up empty looking for a set for my son (school requirement).

I use Cowin E7 (bluetooth) in my office and they are comfortable and have held up for a few years. I know you said not wireless, but I'd buy from them again.

I like the Anker Soundcore earbuds and bluetooth speaker I have, but have no experience with an over the ear versions.

Finding wired is becoming harder, and I refuse to spend over $100 on headphones.

I had no idea they were requiring these at school. Why is that? Certainly not for listening to 80's punk rock mix tapes!

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Every kid (starting in Kindergarten) gets a chromebook for some of the school work, and teachers don't want to hear 25 laptops blaring at once.

Apparently I'm still looking.........

RFI-EMI-GUY

I could buy the headset I pictured above as long as it is purple. Go figure, they must have made a ton and they did not sell.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sennheiser has always been my favorite. I had a pair in college that I really liked.
A few years ago I found a really nice wired pair in the e-waste bin at work. The plug was damaged. Soldered on a new one and they've been solid ever since.
Not cheap, but they do have some that are not what I'd call expensive.

bharvey2

I too have been a Sennheiser fan for decades. I've noticed though that some of my last few acquisitions form them have been a bit bass heavy rather than having a flat response. On a whim, I tried a pair of Audio Technicas based on positive reviews. I've tried a few different models so far. All have been wired, over-the-ear, closed back models. I'm liking them so far. As an older dude, my hearing isn't nearly as good as it used to be so keep that in mind.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I too have been a Sennheiser fan for decades. I've noticed though that some of my last few acquisitions form them have been a bit bass heavy rather than having a flat response. On a whim, I tried a pair of Audio Technicas based on positive reviews. I've tried a few different models so far. All have been wired, over-the-ear, closed back models. I'm liking them so far. As an older dude, my hearing isn't nearly as good as it used to be so keep that in mind.

Good info.
As I've aged, it seems like everything is more bass heavy. Not sure if it's my hearing or they are just making them that way based on modern music/younger customers.

bharvey2

Good info.
As I've aged, it seems like everything is more bass heavy. Not sure if it's my hearing or they are just making them that way based on modern music/younger customers.

I think it's a combination of the two. Low, rumbling noises can drive me mad now. When I was younger and my dad was still alive, I recall him being able to hear cars approaching long before everyone else could so I'm not an anomaly (well, not in that regard anyway). Now, about the kids on the lawn......

RFI-EMI-GUY

Good info.
I agree. Just look at what they sell for computer and high fidelity speakers these days. Humongous subwoofer, tiny midrange and tweeters. and fidelity is not even a goal. my new mid range Sony TV is loaded with sibilence and no way to tune it out, even with a SCHITT TOSlinc DAC and my Denon home sound system. it's baked into the TV.

bharvey2

I agree. Just look at what they sell for computer and high fidelity speakers these days. Humongous subwoofer, tiny midrange and tweeters. and fidelity is not even a goal. my new mid range Sony TV is loaded with sibilence and no way to tune it out, even with a SCHITT TOSlinc DAC and my Denon home sound system. it's baked into the TV.

I'll second that on the TV stuff. My son bought be some Roku Bluetooth speakers for one of our TVs. Having them closer to me allows me to hear the sound better (think conversations) while minimizing the room volume and irritated wife. Even at the ends of the adjustments, I still can't get the bass low enough and the treble high enough, relatively speaking. With flat EQ settings, little girls on TV sound like James Earl Jones. It's ridiculous!

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was watching a couple shows on different channels on cable yesterday. SPECTRUM. The program audio was so low that I had the volume up close to 50. then the locally inserted ads came on and blew me away. I had to set the volume to 30.

bharvey2

I was watching a couple shows on different channels on cable yesterday. SPECTRUM. The program audio was so low that I had the volume up close to 50. then the locally inserted ads came on and blew me away. I had to set the volume to 30.

Some TVs have a setting that evens that out to some degree. You might poke around your TV menu and see if it has that feature. It sure beats riding the volume control on the remote.

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
For a wired headphone I like the Audio-Technica ath-m40x. I also have some Sennheiser headphones.