• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Headset for TK780

Status
Not open for further replies.

deputywhit

I run a fire dozer and I need a headset to fit my TK780 I was hoping for somethong that direct plugs in to mike plug? any ideas would be great Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's a KCT-19 accessory cable for these radios that will give you an external audio/mic/PTT connection point.
It'll require some reprogramming of the radio to make it work correctly.

As for the front RJ-45 connector, not sure Kenwood ever made one, I've never seen it if they did. You might have to search for third party manufacturers. I know the products are out there for the racing community.
Here's a discussion on the TK-760: http://forums.radioreference.com/kenwood-forum/281857-kenwood-tk-760-david-clark-headsets.html

I think you may need to use the KCT-19 cable off the rear of the radio to do this right. I did a quick look at the service manual and I don't see that the RJ-45 on the front of the radio has the speaker audio there.

deputywhit

the RJ45 has no speaker connections so could I make a cable that uses RJ45 for mic and PTT and plug into ext. speaker plug for those? I want to use this head set on any of our Dozers so I don't want to modify radio in each one

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
the RJ45 has no speaker connections so could I make a cable that uses RJ45 for mic and PTT and plug into ext. speaker plug for those? I want to use this head set on any of our Dozers so I don't want to modify radio in each one

That would probably work fine.

Drawback will be that you'll have to have the headset on to hear any radio traffic. May not be a good choice if you stop for lunch, pee break, etc.
The beauty of using the rear connector is that you'll retain your speaker for when you take the headset off.

deputywhit

Our dozers already have external speakers so I was going to add an extra plug on mine and just unplug if on another dozer .I also carry my portable on my chest harness but want the transmit power of the mobile radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Our dozers already have external speakers so I was going to add an extra plug on mine and just unplug if on another dozer .I also carry my portable on my chest harness but want the transmit power of the mobile radio.

Got it, that would work.

The microphone and PTT connection is obviously on the RJ-45, so you'd be good there.
What you need to find is a microphone that has the correct impedance.

That's an older radio, so it may be difficult to find accessories that are specifically sold for it. Kenwood does not sell a headset that will interface to the mobiles, so you'll have to go after market.
David Clark makes an off the shelf solution. It will be expensive, but DC is a big name and it's probably well worth the price.
Check here for your solution:
Two-Way Solutions | David Clark Company | Worcester, MA

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If the radios use an external speaker that plugs into the 3.5 mm jack on the back, you could get a "Y" adapter and have both the headset receive and speaker going at the same time. Easy enough to remove and return speaker to the way it was.

deputywhit

That is the plan as of now. the other issue I have is my headset has an M3 connector and I dont want to change that so I am going to find an old HT1000 and use the case to built the adatper. That way I can just connect headset to HT1000 and should be good to go. Just need to open up HT1000 and connect wires inside to connector. If all goes well.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Well OK, sounds like a project to me. Good luck. Just make sure the headset has a mic element compatible with the Kenwoods. This would be a dynamic mic, not a electret or condenser type.

If you run into a snag, holler. Somebody should be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.