Headset Two Pin Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy2u

I am a newbie - But - need someone's experienced help! My problem is as follows -

My Polaris UTV cab is so noisey that I have started to assemble what I thought was a solution to being able to talk to my passenger and not hear all the trany and engine noise coming into the UTV cab.

I purchased two Radio Shack racing headsets # 2000550 with boom microphone. Then I purchased a Radio Shack scanner # 20-444 that accepts the two pin plugs for both headsets. This scanner has two, two pin ports to plug in two,two pin headsets.

My wife and I sat in the living room, tried connecting this stuff and the scanner worked as a intercom and allowed my wife and I to talk to each other.

However - the headsets are big and bulky, and you have to push and hold down a little red button on top of one of the ear muffs when you wish to talk. And, the cords are coiled. All this makes the system cumbersome to enjoy. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the red talk button - coiled cord, yahooing bumping, streaming along the rough trail. Hoping you get the picture.

So, I am now looking into something lighter. I ordered two China made boom mic headsets with an inline PTT/VOX switch, and just purchased and received two BaoFeng model 888S transceivers.

So, 'I'm thinking, lighter headsets, straight cords, inline VOX/PTT switch, BaoFeng 888S units with VOX capability. So ,what if we have two units sitting next to us. Put the Baofengs on VOX lock the VOX switch on the headsets in their position - and have a hands free intercom. Both hands on the wheel!

When I received my Baofengs, cute little units, I tried to plug my Radio Shack # 200550 headsets into the unit. You would have thought - two pins, a two pin jack - alright. Not so! The Radio Shack headset does not fit into the Baofeng headset jack/plug.

Now comes the problem. I am trying to understand why my Radio Shack (made in China) headset does not plug into my Baofeng (China made) handheld.

The question is : WHAT ARE THE DIAMETERS AND LENGTHS OF THE TWO PINS ON THE RADIO SHACK HEADSET PLUG? WHAT IS THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO PINS ON THE RADIO SHACK PLUG?

I figured if I could get this answer - I'd be closer to assembling a usable system. So, I called Radio Shack - damned good luck! Their tech support does not exist. Customer support was out in the wind, and calling a store as recommended by corporate - was like chasing pigeons in the park. No answer!!

I tried emailing the guy who sold the Baofengs to me. Well, that does not work either. These folks must be restricted to living and doing business with folks of their own language - cause as must as I have explained to this guy - well, let's just say - he no get it!!

Tried emailing BaoFeng - asked the same question: What are the diameters and lengths of the two pins required to fit into the model 888S headset jack? What is the distance between these two pins, required to fit into the model 888S headset jack?

Vicky replied quickly, well written for an email to China. She said - it fits into a Kenwood ! Go figure!

So, can anyone out there that has experience with these things offer me some insight?

I though about a blue tooth system like bikers - but, I do not wish to wear a helmet while yahooing.

Chris

I

k6cpo

Do you have or have access to a vernier caliper? It's a simple matter to measure the lengths and diameters of the pins on the Radio Shack headsets. If you don't have a caliper, they're cheap enough at Harbor Freight. As far as the Baofeng socket is concerned, the small pin is 2.5mm in diameter, the large pin is 3.5mm in diameter and they are 12mm apart center to center.

The biggest issue I see here is the Baofeng radios themselves. Contrary to what you may have thought from reading the advertising, these are not FRS/GMRS radios. The 888S is an amateur and commercial band radio, both of which require licenses. If you try to use these as an intercom, you will be transmitting on one or the other service. If you don't have the appropriate license, you will be breaking the law.

I think the motorcycle intercom might be the best solution. You might be able to find one with a headset that doesn't require the wearing of a helmet.

snoopy2u

BaoFeng Model 888S

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have calibers, but- ignored using them. The pin diameter would have been no problem measuring, however, centering the distance between the pins - well, I did not wish to create error in the actual measurement due to my sloppy positioning.

As it is, I contacted BaoFeng, thinking that they would have the design and engineering specs for these pins, and pin holes, and their reply was a hand, with jack and ruler, showing an 11mm spread, center to center of these pins. Of course, my inquiry was to the Baofeng headset jacks.

So, now, I am really confused. But- yes, since the seller as well as the manufacturer, along with your reply, has created a different approach to finding my answer.

Thank you again! I am radio stupid, and did not know that these radios required a license to operate. I suspect that means that each time I attempted to intercom with my partner, I'd have to annouce my call sign. That would be cumbersome in itself, and an unnecessary labor.

What causes these radios to be licensed? Is it the available output wattage, frequency band, or ???

The seller failed to advertise this requirement, and the instruction booklet never mentioned it, and no license application was enclosed in the box.

Since, I'd still rather avoid wearing a helmet with built in Blue tooth, and feel that I could use a quality set of handheld radios on my property, would you by chance have any recommendations towards a reliable radio?

My property is has some 2400 elevation, on the top of a short mountain, and the property consists mostly of trees, and forest. I am told that there is cell tower not far from me - if that matters.

Someone suggested that UHF radios were preferred, so this is what I sought out!

Any further ideas other than blue tooth and helmets? I must cover both ears to aviod the UTV's cab noise.

thank you.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
My experience with VOX on a Polaris 700 4-wheeler is that the ambient noise trips the VOX even at the highest setting. So it keeps the radio in a constant transmit mode. Maybe you will have better results.

snoopy2u

Headset Pin Configuration

Thank you for your reply. Are you a Polaris Ranger person? I have a freedom cab unit over my Polaris, and the trany and engine noise is simply too much!

I have already looked into Dynamat, and other sound insulation methods - but they all say that it may or may not reduce the db level significantly. A lot of work for possibly little result.

So, I have begun to look into an intercom system. Blue tooth systems all seem to require the components to fit into a helmet. this is fine - I can get helmets - but it would then make this system limited to the use of the UTV.

I purchased Radio shack headsets with boom mics, and a RS scanner - and I can sit in my living room and chat with my wife - but, since my UTV is garaged out of state on the property - I have yet been able to test it on system on the UTV. The headsets are heavy, the cable is coiled, and I did not like the idea of holding down a red button to talk.

So, I have now acquired two Baofengs - to find out that the two pin jacks on different makers radios are not standardized. So, now - I am looking into the headset pin configurations of various brand radios.

Now - I'm told that my cab noise might be so great as to over ride the VOX on my radio's mics.

Am I back to the intercom solution, with a noise canceling microphone?

What is a guy to do? Anyone else have experience with this?

snoopy2u

BaoFeng 888S Questions

I just purchased and received a couple of 888S units. Cute little guys. I was told earlier that they would require licensing. I understood this because of the removal antenna, wattage greater or equal to 5 watts, and frequency range.

However, getting off the phone with the FCC, I am told that these characteristics have nothing to do with a licensing requirement. that I should find the FCC certification ruling for the model. That, all radios, coming in to the US or made in the US have an FCC certification.

Anyway - I also find that these radios can be programmed for FRS use - needing no license. however - the internet tells me that the cabling is a bad source, it is difficult .etc.

Anyway, I am looking at the back of my 888S, and there is no label on it. nothing, squat, zilch! You know - like when you have anything electronic - it has a label for radio interference, compatibility...etc.

Mine has nothing! Anyone have one of these radios? Any Baofeng radio? Does your have a label on the radio's body?

k6cpo

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have calibers, but- ignored using them. The pin diameter would have been no problem measuring, however, centering the distance between the pins - well, I did not wish to create error in the actual measurement due to my sloppy positioning.

You're welcome.

As it is, I contacted BaoFeng, thinking that they would have the design and engineering specs for these pins, and pin holes, and their reply was a hand, with jack and ruler, showing an 11mm spread, center to center of these pins. Of course, my inquiry was to the Baofeng headset jacks.

So, now, I am really confused. But- yes, since the seller as well as the manufacturer, along with your reply, has created a different approach to finding my answer.
One thing you'll find in radio is that nothing is standard, even within the same manufacturer.

Thank you again! I am radio stupid, and did not know that these radios required a license to operate. I suspect that means that each time I attempted to intercom with my partner, I'd have to annouce my call sign. That would be cumbersome in itself, and an unnecessary labor.

What causes these radios to be licensed? Is it the available output wattage, frequency band, or ???

The seller failed to advertise this requirement, and the instruction booklet never mentioned it, and no license application was enclosed in the box.
What causes a license to be required is mostly the FCC rules for a given radio service. For instance, amateur requires a license, obtained by taking an examination; GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) requires a license, but not a test. There is a fee. FRS (Family Radio Service) does not require a license or a fee. Note: FRS and GMRS share some channels. The biggest difference is that by FCC rules, FRS is limited to 500 milliwatts output power. There are other radio services such as CB (everyone knows about CB) and the Land Mobile Radio Service, which is essentially a business service.

Since the 888S is capable of operating within the Amateur service, GMRS or the Land Mobile radio Service (Part 90 of the FCC rules) you would have to have the appropriate license for whatever service you chose to operate in.

Since, I'd still rather avoid wearing a helmet with built in Blue tooth, and feel that I could use a quality set of handheld radios on my property, would you by chance have any recommendations towards a reliable radio?

My property is has some 2400 elevation, on the top of a short mountain, and the property consists mostly of trees, and forest. I am told that there is cell tower not far from me - if that matters.

Someone suggested that UHF radios were preferred, so this is what I sought out!

Any further ideas other than blue tooth and helmets? I must cover both ears to aviod the UTV's cab noise.

thank you.
There's a couple of ways you could go to have "quality" radios for your property. You could become a licensed amateur, but anyone you wished to take to on the amateur frequencies would have to be licensed also. You could obtain a GMRS license just by applying and paying the fee, currently $85.00 and anyone in your family could use the radios.

I just purchased and received a couple of 888S units. Cute little guys. I was told earlier that they would require licensing. I understood this because of the removal antenna, wattage greater or equal to 5 watts, and frequency range.

However, getting off the phone with the FCC, I am told that these characteristics have nothing to do with a licensing requirement. that I should find the FCC certification ruling for the model. That, all radios, coming in to the US or made in the US have an FCC certification.

I think I answered most of this above. With the possible exception of the Amateur Radio Service, all radios in the US have to have an FCC certification for the service in which they are designed to operate.

Anyway - I also find that these radios can be programmed for FRS use - needing no license. however - the internet tells me that the cabling is a bad source, it is difficult .etc.
If you were to program the 888S for FRS, then you would have to reduce the power to under 0.5 watts and I don't know if you can do that with the radio.

Anyway, I am looking at the back of my 888S, and there is no label on it. nothing, squat, zilch! You know - like when you have anything electronic - it has a label for radio interference, compatibility...etc.

Mine has nothing! Anyone have one of these radios? Any Baofeng radio? Does your have a label on the radio's body?
Does it have a removable battery? If so, the label is probably inside the battery compartment. That's where it is on my Baofeng, my Wouxun and both my Yaesus.

Last edited:

snoopy2u

Baofeng

K6cpo - Thank you. Your reply was rather explicit and very helpful in my understanding.

The label, or FCC advisory or certification is suposed to be under the battery compartment. This is where I've most all FCC certifications and labeling for phones and other similar electronics are placed.

What if I had no label on my radios? They are brand new, unused, delivered in brown boxes like as though they may have come from a bulk purchase. The boxes have no makers name, or labeling. The box is molded with a plastic insert tray to fit the radio, belt clip, and charger. Almost like as though they were the insert boxes for the outside packaging box that would carry the maker's, BaoFeng's advertising..etc.

Has anyone ever encountered radios without these labels.

k6cpo

K6cpo - Thank you. Your reply was rather explicit and very helpful in my understanding.

The label, or FCC advisory or certification is suposed to be under the battery compartment. This is where I've most all FCC certifications and labeling for phones and other similar electronics are placed.

What if I had no label on my radios? They are brand new, unused, delivered in brown boxes like as though they may have come from a bulk purchase. The boxes have no makers name, or labeling. The box is molded with a plastic insert tray to fit the radio, belt clip, and charger. Almost like as though they were the insert boxes for the outside packaging box that would carry the maker's, BaoFeng's advertising..etc.

Has anyone ever encountered radios without these labels.

I honestly don't know what to say about these radios without labels. I've looked around and can't find any information about what radio service these might be certified for. They cover all of the amateur 70cm band with a bit of overlap on both ends, but the frequency range of 400 mHz to 470 mHz doesn't lead me to believe they were intended to operate in the UHF portion of the land mobile service.

They could be used in either FRS or GMRS, but you'd have to adhere to the requirements I mention in my previous post.

We've digressed from your original problem about putting together an intercom for you Polaris and I apologize for that. I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a solution for you.

snoopy2u

Headset Pin Configuration - Baofeng 888S

K6cpo - thank you again. By chance, were, or are you a Chief Petty Officer. A proud distinction - I'm sure.

Yes - my thread, or inquiry has changed, but - only because in seeking my original inquiry, other information was found needed.

I have confirmed what BaoFeng"s customer service has provided to me, that the two pin configuration on this model radio has a 11mm spread, center to center. And, the pins are 2.5mm & 3.5 mm. And, now I know why my Radio Shack headset two pin plug will not fit into the Baofeng radio - the Radio Shack headset pins are a hair under this 11mm spread. Obviously - no standardization. I am now awaiting delivery of a lighter pair of over the head headsets to see what those pins will fit into.

This is all about creating a usable intercom system in my UTV. A way to speak easily to my spouse or partner, and be able to protect our ears from the excessive engine noise, and still have a intercom system that is light, functionable, and, if I can use radios to accomplish this - then I have served two purposes by having a way to communicate in the UTV and property when we are separated.

I was again going through Ebay listing for Baofeng 888S models. And, noted that many sellers are showing their radios with labeling ( in Chinese) on the back of the radio's body where the battery inserts. this is the way I've always seen FCC requirements and manufacturer's warnings. And, I see that these radios come with retail packaging.

This caught my attention, as I have these radios, but - they are absent of the maker's labeling on the back, and they arrived in plain brown boxes, not retail packaging like you would have at a store.

So, I have made inquiry to this phenomena , also.

I've contacted the FCC, made an inquiry as to the necessity of having a license for these units, and was told that a removable antenna, nor the wattage, nor the frequency range governs the licensing requirement. But - it was the FCC certification, policy, ruling or advisory for the radio, as issued by the FCC, that mandates the licensing.

I am sure that I am missing something here - but - then, this is why I have been making my inquiries.

The FCC said that if the radios did not come included with this FCC certification, then I needed to contact the manufacturer. So, I did, and Vicky, supposedly in China - emailed back and said that they did not test their radios, and did not know if the U.S. did. Her English, and her reply was broken, and I still do not understand her reply, but - it may appear that Baofeng makes the radios overseas, ships them to the U.S., and a distributor does, or is supposed to do something - who knows? But- I'll email her again.

I then go back to Ebay, found sellers for these radios and asked then about the certification. And, though not all have replied - one seller replied " these radios are FCC approved. You do not need a license".

Go figure!

I am still trying to assemble a decent intercom system for my UTV. Still would like to use radios for this purpose. It is just that I keep finding more and more questions to ask.

Why am I being told on one end that these radios require a license, either a commercial, or GMRS.

Then on another end, sellers are telling me that no license is required.

Why are some of these radios sold in retail packaging, and mine were received in brown boxes?

Why do I see labeling on some of these radios, and on mine - no labeling at all - period!

Why are these radios shown with Chinese labeling, and not English print when marketed in the states?

Why is the manufacturer telling me that they do not test the radios.

My inquiries continue. Back to the FCC, and Baofeng for further clarity.

snoopy2u

baofeng model 888s - FCC ID

anyone out there have a Baofeng model 888s, who can tell me what the FCC ID is for these radios?

k6cpo

You might try posting your inquiry about these radios on either QRZ.com or eHam.net. Both are amateur radio forums and someone there might have an answer for you.

And yes, I am a retired USN Chief Quartermaster.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of electronic equipment imported into the US that doesn't meet the FCC, UL, or other regulatory agencies requirements. Radio Transmitters are certified for certain services (GMRS, Business and Industrial etc.) There are only a couple of services that don't require a license to operate (MURS, FRS, CB). Sounds like your radio might be one of these. As for your intercom problem you might be able to use throat mic's or bone conduction mic's. I have not tried these but as I said before the VOX units picked up too much noise. I finally rigged up a PTT button on the handle bars. We usually ride in groups so FRS radios worked just fine; as long as you remember to "pull the mic/headset plug" when you jump off the ATV!!!!!!!!.

snoopy2u

BaoFeng 888S - Some Surprizing News-Cautions

To everyone out their in radio land, I have been making several inquiries into the Baofeng model 888S. My inquiry began as an intercom system for my UTV, then to headset pin configurations, then to licensing of these radios, then to trying to find an FCC ID number for these radios.

In review of my threads, you will note that I emailed Baofeng. and was told that these radios were not tested. And, it was thought that this was either an interpretation of language problem, or that Baofeng had a third party that does its testing and certification.

I just got off the telephone with a Donald Draper Campbell, Senior Engineer, Office of Engineering and Technology, with the FCC in Washington. In initially emailing his office to acquire my information, his reply was missing the requested info - so I got him on the telephone.

For anyone that is interested - there is an FCC site, where you can insert and acquire all FCC certification documentations, as follows ( I am trying to do this my memory - so if it does not work for you, my apologies)

goto - www.fcc.gov/labhelp
- left side "related sites" click on Equipment Authorization Systems (EAS),
-left side "Reports", click on Authorization Search,

from here, with Mr. Campbell's assistance on the phone, under APPLICANT NAME, I typed BAOFENG, and several test certifications came up. This screen shows more info than I understood, but - with Mr. Campbell on line, we checked each detail/summary and selected "user manual" to see a picture of my Baofeng 888S for recognition purposes only.

It would appear that selecting one detail/summary actually encompused several of these certifications, so that in reality, only two -or three radios where actually listed under this page.

The bottom line here, is that neither Mr. Campbell or I were able to find an FCC certification for the Baofeng 888S. This model Baofeng certification did not exist, or it simply was not listed under any of the Baofeng's registered certifications that we reviewed using this FCC site.

You may recall in my earlier threads on this matter - that Baofeng had returned an email reply alluding that these radios were not tested, and it was thought that this reply was a language barrier.

And, in searching for Baofeng model 888s on the net - I went to "linkdelight.com" did a search for Baofeng 888s radios and the site has a full imaging, in English print of the manufacturer's labeling. I was viewing this site with Mr. Campbell on line, and he was very clear, that any FCC certification would look just like " FCC ID &*^%*($%^ - and this label, on the back of this radio had no such FCC markings.

Mr. Campbell could not tell me whether or not my Baofeng 888S required licensing or not - simply because there was no FCC certification or testing on record with the FCC, as noted on their site.

I'll be mailing back my radios to the seller, and unfortunately, I do not feel that the price of an inexpensive radio is worth the hassle of operating without FCC certification. Licensed or not.

I am not an authority on this matter. Nor, do I fully understand what has transpired. I only know what I know from speaking with Mr. Campbell on the phone, searching the FCC website for Baofeng, and that is a conclusion to my inquiries.

For those of you having a Baofeng 888S, I've read they are fun, cheap, can be programmed with some hassle, but - there are plenty of them out there. Review my threads, go to the FCC website - make your own conclusions.

Thanks for Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.