• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Heard DMR on an FRS channel for the first time Yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I had 27mhz. Cb And Class A cb both in 1976, just a little different crowd is all. Of course then we had Lat/Long on our licenses ... Well its a hobby NOW and has been for many years, welcome to the 21st century hatchett, whether we like the the changes or not. :wink: 73, n9zas

Hatchett

I had 27mhz. Cb And Class A cb both in 1976, just a little different crowd is all. Of course then we had Lat/Long on our licenses ... Well its a hobby NOW and has been for many years, welcome to the 21st century hatchett, whether we like the the changes or not. :wink: 73, n9zas

Correction.

You classify GMRS as a “hobby”.

The FCC’s opinion on the other hand…….. Is currently “Up in the air” as of this date and time.

If they will chose to ….
Make it a high power derivative of the FRS service.
Leave it as it currently is…
Or make into something totally different…

Is something that we don’t know yet.

Hatchett

Correction.

You classify GMRS as a “hobby”.

The FCC’s opinion on the other hand…….. Is currently “Up in the air” as of this date and time.

If they will chose to ….
Make it a high power derivative of the FRS service.
Leave it as it currently is…
Or make into something totally different…

Is something that we don’t know yet.

Now that I think about it, there is a particular irony to the whole situation.

All the current GMRS operators complaining about the “bubble pack pirates” taking over GMRS and turning it into something GMRS was not intended to be… are themselves using the GMRS service for something IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE…

That being a hobby.

On that note, I will chuckle a bit, and call it a day.

prcguy

Just because most people use GMRS as a hobby doesn't make it legal and until the FCC publishes different rules its not intended for hobby use.
prcguy

All the current GMRS operators complaining about the “bubble pack pirates” taking over GMRS and turning it into something GMRS was not intended to be… are themselves using the GMRS service for something IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE…

That being a hobby.

Hans13

Even then there are many veteran radio hobbyists who aren't aware yet that Gmrs is available to them. Its doubtful at this point that Gmrs will go away so it still remains to be a viable option for those who don't prefer ham or Murs. 73, n9zas

It's also nice as an addition to an Amateur Radio license. I like the fact that, AFAIK, no frequency coordination is required for GMRS repeater installation. In my AO, we all try to get along and casually coordinate with each other when setting up a new GMRS repeater. However, I've heard some horror stories from people setting up new amateur radio repeaters in the nearby cities. There seems to be some sort of clique or something going on with frequency coordination. A few people told me that they just gave up on putting up a new amateur radio repeater because of the charlie foxtrot. One set up a GMRS repeater instead.

With amateur radio, GMRS, FRS, CB, and MURS to work with, radio life is good for me. :) I've heard a little bit of digital on the GMRS/FRS frequencies but it has been sporadic and hasn't really created any interference problems with my use and I haven't heard anybody complain. People complain to me about a lot of radio related things but since none of it has been about digital, I don't think it's really causing any problem around here.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Just because most people use GMRS as a hobby doesn't make it legal and until the FCC publishes different rules its not intended for hobby use.
prcguy

Can you cite the specific language in the Part 95 rules that prohibit "hobby" use?

"Short Distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members" seems to not prohibit hobby use.

Just curious, as I have never seen anything in Part 95 that would preclude "hobby" use.

gewecke

Banned
prcguy
. Its a conundrum for sure. I'm going on the premise that Gmrs is a hobbyist band, when you consider the fact that the Family radio service is tucked in the middle of those. Speaking of which, there's a nice inversion layer this am. I'm hearing a Gmrs repeater way down in Morton like it's local! :). 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned

That being a hobby.

Actually the bubble pack radios aren't that much of a problem. The majority of them are under 2 watts, and die quickly. Very few are repeater capable and pl/dcs filters them out well. :). 73, n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

47 CFR 95.33 is about "sharing" a GMRS station. This covers multiple individuals using the same callsign. It is not about repeaters, where each individual station that uses the repeater can have its own callsign.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that people should ask permission of a GMRS repeater owner before settling in for a QSO. Even if an itinerant GMRS user happens across a repeater while traveling, they should try to raise the owner first and ask if they may use the machine while in the area.

However, this does not rise to a "rule" as promulgated by the FCC.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
In my case, a GMRS license and repeater are a "hobby." I mean, I live alone and have no family living within 1,500 miles of me, so just whom am I going to communicate with? :wink:

I've invested thus far close to $2,500 in my repeater and required hardware, just for the joy of offering a free resource for other GMRS licensees in the area. The reason for choosing GMRS rather than 2m or 70cm is simply that there are a superfluity of such already extant, most of which are simply burning up electricity for no reason at all since they are 90% unused!

Actually, there are at least six amateur repeaters in the immediate area that are not on-line at all and haven't been for several years. The owners/trustees however will not release their coordinated frequency pairs back to the state coordinating committee. :(

Hans13

Actually, there are at least six amateur repeaters in the immediate area that are not on-line at all and haven't been for several years. The owners/trustees however will not release their coordinated frequency pairs back to the state coordinating committee. :(

That is one of the problems that people have been telling me about around my area also.

Hatchett

.... I'm going on the premise that Gmrs is a hobbyist band, when you consider the fact that the Family radio service is tucked in the middle of those. .....

And that indicates … what?

Most of the long term users of the FRS radio service are not using it in what I would call a “hobby” capacity.

Using it during a hunting/fishing trip.
Using it in a warehouse.
Using it for neighborhood watch.
And using it to keep track of family members during a vacation…

Are situations where they are using the service to fulfill a specific application. (Either personal or professional) The enjoyment gained from using a radio (if there is any) is purely secondary to the desired application.

The hobby classification comes into play when any material benefit from the use of the radio is negligible, or secondary to the enjoyment derived from the use of the radio equipment.

If someone got a set of FRS radios to keep track of each other during a road trip, then they are not using it in a hobby capacity.

If they got a set of FRS radios because they are just the coolest things they seen, and they had no intended , or specific application for them when purchasing them, then yes, they are using the service in a hobby capacity.

gewecke

Banned
Call it what you like. It's just another one of my hobbies to me. :). 73, n9zas

ecps92

Exactly. It's a Hobby for many, just like ...do I even say it.... sure... SCANNERS, APP Listening...it's a HOBBY, amazing tho so many get frustrated when...o...why is this feed off line... I NEED those Archives... No you don't... Professionals know how to get them, if they really need them.

We now return to our many Hobbies, GMRS, Amateur, Scanning and Terrorist Hunting :cool:
Call it what you like. It's just another one of my hobbies to me. :). 73, n9zas

Hans13

I think some might be considering hobby to be the ability to home brew equipment if one so desires. In that, GMRS definitely does not fit the definition of hobby. But I think in just about all the other aspects it is as a hobby band in actual use for many. I use it and consider it pretty much like a hobby band and I know a most of my friends do as well. The only thing we don't really do is home brew equipment for that band, with the exception of antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.