Heard IDHS talking to IN NWS, any one know the TG for IN NWS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
On June 15th I heard IDHS giving a SAFE-T radio check to the Indy NWS. Does anyone know what the talk group on SAFE-T is of the Indy NWS. They were talking on the IDHS-ATG talk group (which is defined in the RR database as statewide), when I heard them.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
To the best of my knowledge, the NWS does not have a specific SAFE-T talkgroup dedicated for their use.

They have a SAFE-T handheld radio (it used to sit on the Warning Coordination Meteorologist's desk which was in the center of the forecasters' desks, but I think they've rearranged the furniture since the last time I was in the building). They use the SAFE-T radio to stay in touch with Indiana Dept of Homeland Security, so they use DHS talkgroups.

west-pac

To the best of my knowledge, the NWS does not have a specific SAFE-T talkgroup dedicated for their use.

They have a SAFE-T handheld radio (it used to sit on the Warning Coordination Meteorologist's desk which was in the center of the forecasters' desks, but I think they've rearranged the furniture since the last time I was in the building). They use the SAFE-T radio to stay in touch with Indiana Dept of Homeland Security, so they use DHS talkgroups.

Correct. I've only heard weekly/monthly radio tests. I've never actually heard any legitimate traffic.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
FWIW I logged the following a while ago during the Monthly Net (first Wed of the month @ 0900)

9308908 NWS NORTHERN INDIANA

This RID is right in the middle of the IDHS radio ID block.

west-pac

FWIW I logged the following a while ago during the Monthly Net (first Wed of the month @ 0900)

9308908 NWS NORTHERN INDIANA

This RID is right in the middle of the IDHS radio ID block.

I'll have to check mine and see what I have for NWS IWX... see if they have more than one radio.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
NWS Indy has an HT and uses the IDHS Tg's for the Nets. They do actively monitor during severe wx events and I have heard them reply once to a funnel report by a DHS spotter. They do not have a dedicated TG unlike NWS in other States that have statewide TRS's... At least not yet. From the talks with NWS personnel at "Spotter Talks" they are lucky to have a ham guy with a radio, and do not even have DMR capabilities yet here. They are extremely tight budgeted, and pretty much always understaffed. (Typical federal agency).

west-pac

When I toured the NWS, many moons ago, they had a desk with a couple ham radios. They just need a ham operator to come in and operate them during inclement weather. Could you imagine how many "we're getting heavy wind and rain" reports they would get from people if they had their own TGs? 🙄Smh.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
When I toured the NWS, many moons ago, they had a desk with a couple ham radios. They just need a ham operator to come in and operate them during inclement weather. Could you imagine how many "we're getting heavy wind and rain" reports they would get from people if they had their own TGs? 🙄Smh.
Umm none! Those TG's would be for direct reports from trained spotters with FD's, EMA's, SO's, PD's, etc, not like some nimbly whimbly whatever your thinking about. Works on AWIN just fine. And as a trained spotter, you know that it has to be 50 MPH or better winds before you even think about calling it in/texting/vids etc... And it has to be extreme flooding rains, wall clouds with rotation, dime or larger hail, funnel, or confirmed tornadic ground interaction, or actual damage from storm activity (limbs or trees down, powerline damage, roof/structural damage etc...) And in winter, all snow accumulations are welcomed, as are reports of true blizzard conditions etc...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When I toured the NWS, many moons ago, they had a desk with a couple ham radios. They just need a ham operator to come in and operate them during inclement weather.
Having been that guy, yes, it does happen. I've been dispatched to the Indianapolis NWS several times to liaise between the Central Indiana Skywarn net and NWS. However, thanks to the pandemic, that hasn't happened for some time. Most of that communication is handled through other means now. We shall see what the future holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.