Hearing Alachua EMS on Hillsborough EDACS system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Just got the answer!

From the Hillsborough Co. Radio Shop: "Our LZ-CTL talk group is hard patched to an Emergency Management VHF frequency 24/7, and experiences ducting interference frequently. I have not monitored it particularly, but I will do so to see if I can tell if we are talking about the same activity. I suspect we are, as there is constant similar interference between Temple Terrace PD and FD and the folks in the panhandle, particularly Putnam County on VHF."

Ducting had been in the back of my mind - guess it plays a role here. Just glad that the radio shop is aware of it.

Many thanks to my "liaison" between myself and the radio shop. You know who you are.

Mystery solved (but not resolved), I guess.....

Based on your description of what you are hearing plus your example of "medic 3," I would guess that in addition to Bradford Co. you're also picking up Indian River Co. Both counties operate on 153.92, ironically using them for almost the same purpose. Bradford uses their channel for paging and operations. IRC is on 153 for paging only, all of their ops. are on the County's TRS.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
sleepingsurfer said:
Based on your description of what you are hearing plus your example of "medic 3," I would guess that in addition to Bradford Co. you're also picking up Indian River Co. Both counties operate on 153.92, ironically using them for almost the same purpose. Bradford uses their channel for paging and operations. IRC is on 153 for paging only, all of their ops. are on the County's TRS.
I don't know if you're talking about Bradford or Indian river, but Bradford does all of their ops on 153.92. The only thing wrong with his post is Bradford only has Medic 1, 2, 5 (and sometimes 4) but not a medic 3. I just attributed that to a poor signal in his area.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Bolt21 said:
From the Hillsborough Co. Radio Shop: "Our LZ-CTL talk group is hard patched to an Emergency Management VHF frequency 24/7, and experiences ducting interference frequently. I have not monitored it particularly, but I will do so to see if I can tell if we are talking about the same activity. I suspect we are, as there is constant similar interference between Temple Terrace PD and FD and the folks in the panhandle, particularly Putnam County on VHF."

Exactly how did you get in contact with the Hillsborough Co. Radio Shop ?

UFEMTFF said:
I don't know if you're talking about Bradford or Indian river, but Bradford does all of their ops on 153.92. The only thing wrong with his post is Bradford only has Medic 1, 2, 5 (and sometimes 4) but not a medic 3. I just attributed that to a poor signal in his area.

Rumor has it that soon Med 4 will be back on as the transfer truck in the coming months. I assume it will be after the remount comes back, or in January when the new unit is expected to be delivered. The Medic 3 thing refers to Indian River County's unit.

Even in Bradford you'll pick up Indian River, usually its late at night or early in the morning, and only on the mobiles in the trucks.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
EDIT: Nevermind, derailing this thread.

Last edited:

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Medic 3 was just a theoretical example. I should have said Medic #. Have never heard interference from anyone else except Bradford. Not Indian River, Putnam, or anyone else.

gcr33

I still say it's a patch. Maybe an old unused one on a freq. licensed to the Tampa area and now or still used by Bradford.

gcr33

Yes, I said it was a patch a long time ago but there were a few who could not believe it.

As an example 154.01 is patched into the Martin Co. trunk system permanently.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
gcr33 said:
Yes, I said it was a patch a long time ago but there were a few who could not believe it.

As an example 154.01 is patched into the Martin Co. trunk system permanently.
I can't believe this thread is still going on. I thought it was clarified in that post that no departments are patched. There is a VHF mutual aid channel (that gets interference from other counties like Bradford, etc.) that is patched. There is no "old patch" or anything of the sort.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Just curious if anyone can confirm if the RR database is correct in listing 241.8 Hz as the PL tone Bradford County is using on 153.920 ?

I have logs of them from 2001 and 2003 - while traveling I-95 - showing they were operating carrier squelch on the channel.

Thanks.

Last edited:

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
jeffmulter said:
Just curious if anyone can confirm if the RR database is correct in listing 241.8 Hz as the PL tone Bradford County is using on 153.920 ?

I have logs of them from 2001 and 2003 - while traveling I-95 - showing they were operating carrier squelch on the channel.

Thanks.
The PL is correct. I can't speak for the past, but the PL is in use now on Tac 1 and Tac 4. (241.8 and 203.5, respectively)

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>>> The PL is correct. I can't speak for the past, but the PL is in use now on Tac 1 and Tac 4. (241.8 and 203.5, respectively)

Thank you.

I get to the Tampa / Sun City Center area occasionally, and intend to give the LZ talkgroup a little more attention during the overnight hours next time around.

gcr33

I guess I did read post 21 et al: I guess I was right despite the naysayers here.

I have in the past heard the Polk Co. 800 mhz trunking system down in Palm Beach Co. when conditions were good and before Palm Beach had their system up. Like the man said it's called ducting.

Status
Not open for further replies.