Hearing NON Newark NJ Transit Units Also On 161.370

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Interesting. I just heard the main NJT PD dispatcher on 161.370 sending units to an incident in New Brunswick. It had nothing to do with Newark Penn. I guess some of the north jersey dispatch calls are going over that frequency also. Just a heads up.

Analogrules

No one ever responded to this post from the summer, however I still hear Non Newark Penn station units on 161.370. Sounds like a repeater. Yesterday I heard NJ Transit PD in Rahway on this frequency.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm not in NJ, but apparently there are quite a few different places where NJ Transit Rail Operations use this frequency and other 161 mhz frequencies, some with repeater specifications right on the license.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=34&freq=161.37&action=sf

Those licenses don't just show immediate Newark area, and a couple of them show 161.37 FB2 (repeater).

Mike

Analogrules

Yes, I am aware the license indicates several locations throughout the state. It is just odd since the majority of Transit PD is on the NJICS digital system, but only since this past summer I also hear them sporadically on 161.370. I do not know if those transmissions are simulcasted on the NJICS. The fact that non Newark Penn NJ Transit PD is also sometimes heard on this frequency should probably be indicated in some way in the DB. I am not quite sure how to submit it without creating a duplicate listing.

Analogrules

It looks like a db admin changed 161.370 to say "Newark area". However I hear units on there in Rahway and as far south as New Brunswick. They have repeaters across the state on this frequency, which are still active (at least as far as central Jersey). I am curious if anyone in south jersey such as Ocean or Atlantic County ever hear activity on this frequency from time to time also? It seems the NJICS simulcasts on 161.370 at certain times.

Murenovich

Not the Flatlands, Not the Mountains in NJ
It looks like a db admin changed 161.370 to say "Newark area". However I hear units on there in Rahway and as far south as New Brunswick. They have repeaters across the state on this frequency, which are still active (at least as far as central Jersey). I am curious if anyone in south jersey such as Ocean or Atlantic County ever hear activity on this frequency from time to time also? It seems the NJICS simulcasts on 161.370 at certain times.

It’s the simulcast of NJICS. It’s not in use by any other units besides the Newark area ones but what you hear is a simulcast of NJICS.

Analogrules

Ok. I have heard units in New Brunswick on that frequency last week. I don't really consider New Brunswick as "Newark area", but thanks for the clarification.

Analogrules

Ok. Therefore DB should technically say "NJT PD occassional North simulcast of NJICS" However it may not be worth correcting since it may only be temporary. I still hear open mic keyups on 160.830 very frequently too.

jaymatt1978

Let me try to break this down. Here's a map of the NJTPD districts:
New Jersey Transit

Newark, Rahway and New Brunswick are all in District 2. So in theory 161.370 can b e used ANYWHERE in District 2 161.370 is ALSO licensed in ATLANTIC CITY, SOUTH AMBOY AND HOLMDEL According to the license there's a Fixed Base on 161.3700 IN ATLANTIC CITY IF you folks REALLY want to be accurate you would put a link to the map of the districts on the railroad page

When NJT still used 160.8300 as their primary police frequency, it was statewide. I could hear it from Bergen County to Atlantic County. With ALL THIS being said I think it's safe to say ALL VHF Frequencies can still be used ANYWHEREin the state

Last edited:

Analogrules

I agree Jaymatt. I think the DB should be tweaked a little bit to make this more clear. However, I am just curious why do they sometimes simulcast NJICS on 161.370? What determines whether they simulcast it or not? Do some NJT officers not have the NJICS radios yet? Or is there another reason? I was just under the impression that NJT PD was completely switching over to NJICS full time (as the DB indicates), and deprecating the VHF frequencies as back up only. However, the simulcasting on 161.370 at times is fairly new. Just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this? I like it of course because it is analog.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm interested in wondering why they added the simulcast myself. I wonder if they are trying to help another agency that might be interested in monitoring the PD North operations, but can't access the NJICS or can't afford to right now.

I wonder if the simulcast is bidirectional...

jaymatt1978

Don't forget the APX radios used on the NJICS system are indeed multi-band so yes they have access to the VHF frequencies AND THE NJSP 800 Mhz system even though they are on the NJICS system. Maybe not all of the NJTPD officers have the multiband radios yet and some still have VHF? Also I would think they still use the VHF frequencies so departments on VHF can talk to them. I'd be really curious if you continuing hearing 161.3700 or 160.8300

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Maybe they are doing this as a favor for other railroad PD's that still primarily operate on VHF?

A lot of crossing properties in the greater North Jersey area...

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the simulcast is bidirectional...

It is. For interop with Amtrak Police. Hence why everything you're hearing thus far is along the NEC. You'll probably never actually hear Amtrak PD use it, but it's there by their demand nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.