Hearing TRD 7A TCSO Dispatch in OKC now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I don't normally post events as they happen, especially minor ones, but this one doesn't happen too often here in OKC. I'm hearing Tulsa County Sheriff's Office on TG 40976 (Tulsa TRD 7A) on the DPS OKC tower. There must be a TCSO unit here for CLEET or something who left his radio on. But my thoughts are actually about how busy the system is. I remember hearing the DPS system here is already too busy -- now we've got TCSO temporarily taking up one of the freqs -- how interesting.

mfolta1

you are most likely hearing bleedover from the tulsa system,,we hear normans every night in tulsa on all subfleets..it is very annoying and in my opinion a safety hazard. im surprised someone has not done something about it.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Not sure what you mean by bleedover. I am only using a 246T w/ rubber antenna, so it's definately on the OKC tower. How would Tulsa "bleed over" onto OKC? (With conventional, I understand. Trunked, not a clue...)

KD5WLX

RF is RF - once it's "in the air" it's at the mercy of propagation.

It's possible that you're hearing Tropo with the cold front right on top of us, I suppose.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I was first "seeing" the TG display while sitting on the control channel. Then I searched and it picked it up on voice. I even grabbed a few short recordings of it loud and clear. I doubt it's skip.

Gilligan

Database Admin
phil_smith said:
If you saw it on the control channel, It must be affiliated right?
That's what I thought. But I've never been able to catch anything on the OKC tower that's origin is outside of OKC. It was only for a short time tonight -- haven't picked it up in a few hours. Maybe a cruiser passing through, right?

freqscout

Actually it is also common for a deputy to come into the city for prisoner transfers since those are done by county SO's.
I will confirm that it was on the OKC tower. It doesn't happen all of the time but it isn't the first time I have seen this.

KOK5CY

Inmate Transport

How's this for a trip in the fast lane ....OCSO Deputy down in OKC doing a inmate transport back to the OCSO jail . Some how this deputy managed to radio back at the jail all the way from OKC and Tell the dispatcher he was 10-15 enroute to the county . We all know the South Repeater is in Sand Springs also the site is 100 watt's and the mobile is maybe 50 . Still that's a long way's off .

Medic32

no i think he's talking about a different occasion where osage county sent a deputy for a 10-15 back from OKC.

car2back

It's a good repeater, that's for sure. (Osage County's south repeater)

I've talked to a Creek Co Deputy in Norman while he was transporting an EOD to Griffin Memorial and needed directions. the (not quite) statewide TRS is pretty cool!

okla-lawman

Tulsa Co has a channel on the state system. It is their 6a. Everywhere the state has a 800 mhz repeater they can transmit. I work a task force and have beenwith them at I35 at the Texas border and they could talk to their dispatch. I bet that is what you are hearing. It is out of there normal talkgorup. I know frommany trips with them that thestandard tulsa repeaterfadesabout kellyville. They also have atalkgroup on the state Bristow repeater but
that fades about the toll both on I44. The only place that the system fades . have been north and east of tulsa. Supposedly as more towers(pryor, grove, so forth) comes on line that will end.

car2back

My understanding was that ANY talkgroup setup to operate on the State Smartzone can be accessed on ANY TRS site when a radio affiliates to it. For example you won't hear TRD on the Bristow site, but if a unit's radio affilated to the bristow site you'd then be able to hear regular Tulsa Co traffic on it.

freqscout

Okla-lawman you are obviously confused a little about terminology. Here is the basic terminology that applies to the state and other trunked systems. This is the language that everyone understands. When you talk in these terms it is easier to understand the point you are trying to make. The three basic ones:

-There are sites (these have many repeaters and patch the various agencies through depending on who is affiliated..Bristow, Muskogee, Tulsa, etc)

-There are repeaters (these have one input and output frequency and handle one conversation at one time. For every frequency at the site there is a repeater. These stay on the same frequency and are told what talkgroup to transmit and receive by the controller at the site.)

-There are talkgroups (These are the arranged groups that your radio listens for rather than a frequency. These are what affiliate you to the system. A talkgroup can pop up on any repeater at a site as long as the talkgroup is affiliated at that site and there is radio traffic on that talkgroup. You listen and talk when your number comes up or you request your number come up by pressing the push-to-talk button.)

freqscout

Phil in the "signal 30" conversation someone said that not all tallkgroups are allowed to roam on the system. They said that TPD cannot roam outside of the Tulsa area and that TCSO's main dispatch is the only thing that can roam out of their groups.

car2back

freqscout said:
Phil in the "signal 30" conversation someone said that not all tallkgroups are allowed to roam on the system. They said that TPD cannot roam outside of the Tulsa area and that TCSO's main dispatch is the only thing that can roam out of their groups.

I get that.
ANY talkgroup setup to operate on the State Smartzone

Like OHP, TCSO, Creek Co SO, Cleveland Co SO, etc.

woodyrr

Now, I'm really confused as to who can and cannot roam where. I just heard, on the Oklahoma City site, an emergency general broadcast on 31568. According to the database, that is "Tulsa Police Service Side", whatever that is. The gist of the broadcast was that the location was, indeed, in Tulsa. Why might I hear that talkgroup in OKC? Also, please clarify for my aging brain, if a TPD unit comes to Oklahoma City for some reason will the radio traffic follow to the OKC DPS site?

I was looking over my scratch sheet and I notice that I have logged 31280 "Tulsa PD Street Crimes" in OKC as well.

red8

It sounds like to me that the transport units has access to the OHP
system. Just like the system I was familiar with in Louisiana with the Sheriff's Office. Our Prisoner Transport units were assigned with talk
groups for all the State Police Troops. If the deputy ever needed to
contact a troop all that deputy had to do was switch over to the State
System and scroll the radio over to the troop they needed to contact
and begin communicating with them. That's if the troop is monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.