Heath,Ohio Police Dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibagli

I like having the lowband repeaters, though. It's nice to know, depending on conditions, what's happening in Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Texas.

steveh552

I do not have lowband capility since I use my 2m radio as my scanner locally, but I like the fact that Madison has a link to 33.86 that rebroadcast it on 155.13 which means I can hear both ends of the conversation.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Heath FD is using the VHF Madison Twp. repeater that is currently linked to lowband. They decided to switch to the county’s vhf plan for fire. This brings all fire departments inline on VHF. The county is trying to install 3 or 4 vhf repeaters, one for dispatch and the others for operations. Once fully developed, we hope to pull the plug on lowband.

Any idea on a timeline for this switch?

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
One repeater is operational (no link), another at a MARCS site is on hold due to some "technical" issues with MARCS. There is no planning with timelines in writing. Any guess at a date would be just a guess at this point.

steveh552

Is there any plans to PL tone the VHF freqs? I tend to always hear Harrison and a few others that are out of county being re-broadcast on the 155.13 link.

LiberaFan08

City of Heath Update

As it stands now, I have heard the police on 855.2125, the fire on 856.2125 and have heard the police dispatcher attempting to make contact with the street department on 858.2125. I have heard the police and fire departments talking to each other several times on 856.2125. At this point it appears obvious that this is going to be a conventional APCO-25 system and nothing more. The voice quality on this system still sounds awful most of the time, especially the police dispatcher. Most transmissions sound garbled, muffled and sound like they are talking with their head under water. I can't wait till they try the encryption! By the way, I know that the problem is with their new system and not my Unidens because the officers are saying the same thing that I just said.

ibagli

I haven't had anything on 855. At least for the last few days, the PD has been on 856 only and the FD on 857. It's definitely their problem, because I get the same thing on a PSR-500.

ibagli

It seems like Channel 3 (Street Department) is FM with a 67.0 PL. The PD is using it for traffic control for the fireworks right now.

LiberaFan08

Correction on Post#26

I have not heard any traffic whatsoever on 855.2125. I am hearing the Police on 856.2125, Fire on 857.2125 and Streets on 858.2125. I believe that 855.2125 has been abandoned. Also, I can confirm that the Police were using analog FM (NOT APCO-25) on 858.2125 for the fireworks traffic control as reported by ibagli. Because of this, I have set my scanner to receive "ALL" modes instead of "DIGITAL ONLY".

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have not heard any traffic whatsoever on 855.2125. I am hearing the Police on 856.2125, Fire on 857.2125 and Streets on 858.2125. I believe that 855.2125 has been abandoned.

Heath hasn't been licensed for a fourth frequency for several years; they were one of the lucky departments who had to give up a frequency after the FCC checked into channel loading during an audit cycle, found that Heath didn't even have enough mobiles running to qualify for three channels, much less four, and made them give one up.

As I understand it, they were originally told to give up two, but when they protested and told the FCC that would make their trunked system useless (one voice channel), the FCC relented. So they were left with a control channel and two voice channels, which isn't much of an improvement in my mind.

Using three conventional channels rather than trunked is a much better and lower cost use of assets.

Last edited:

ibagli

Were they given a while to give it up, though? Because they used 855.2125 until the end of May.

LiberaFan08

More Radio Problems

The City of Heath continues to have serious problems with their new P-25 radio system. At this time they are again using the EMA Mobile Command Post.

ibagli

Does anyone know if they're they still on their 800 frequencies? I haven't heard any traffic on there (or on the EMA channel they were using) tonight.

Edit: Nothing at all in the last hour or more. I'm going to check the public safety bands later.

Edit2: Nothing for over three hours.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Were they given a while to give it up, though? Because they used 855.2125 until the end of May.

They must have been using it unlicensed, as they lost the license for it at least a couple of years ago.

ibagli

Heath to county: Can you hear me?

The backup for the Licking County 911 Center itself needs a backup until all the bugs are worked out in Heath’s new communications system.
Advertisement

In the meantime, the county’s command-center vehicle has been moved from the West Licking Joint Fire District to the Heath facility on Hebron Road just in case Heath is called on to serve as the 911 center.

Heath Police Chief Tony Shepherd has been battling emergency-communications issues for more than a year.

First, the city’s old system broke down in May 2007, forcing upgrades to be made. Then, the new system, originally to be installed in January, was delayed until June.

Now, there are problems coordinating Heath’s new technology with the older systems throughout the county. In an emergency, the 911 center or its backup sends out paging tones to 18 departments, which activates the pager of each responder with a verbal message.

“We’re getting mixed reviews,” Shepherd said. “Some say they hear the tones and not the verbal instructions. It’s very painstaking to test the tones of each agency because they’re not all manned 24/7. Each agency has got their own tone.”

Three departments — Utica, Homer and Mary Ann Township — have particular difficulty receiving the tones from Heath, Shepherd said, requiring use of the command vehicle or a phone call to the Utica Police Department.

“The three agencies use such an old format (to signal the pagers), manufacturers don’t make them anymore,” Shepherd said. “Our fiber-optics link is so efficient and a speedy deliverer of signals, it’s difficult to set digital and fiber-optics to work with old equipment.”

Utica EMS chief Mike Evans said he does not see the situation as much of a problem for Utica.

“It’s a new system and they’re working on it,” Evans said. “We’ve got 24-hour dispatching here, and our dispatchers listen to all radio traffic. All they’d do is re-send our tones and go from there. I feel comfortable with it. There’ll be things you’ll have to work around.”

Jeff Walker, director of the Licking County Emergency Management Agency and Homeland Security, said the communications need to be improved but it’s not a serious concern.

“I talked to the Heath mayor and said we’d like it to be a priority and he said it is,” Walker said. “As long as our 911 center is operating, it’s not an issue. We’ve put our mobile command post out there, and they’re working with their vendor.”

Shepherd said he hopes everything will be working by the middle of next week, but said the public should not be alarmed.

“We’re not concerned anyone’s safety is in jeopardy,” Shepherd said.

ibagli

“The three agencies use such an old format (to signal the pagers), manufacturers don’t make them anymore,” Shepherd said. “Our fiber-optics link is so efficient and a speedy deliverer of signals, it’s difficult to set digital and fiber-optics to work with old equipment.”

He's talking out his ass. The tones won't trip the pagers because the fiber-optics link is speedy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.