• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Heavy Interference on FRS/GMRS Channel 16 (462.575MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6HRW

I am receiving intermittent but heavy interference in my city on FRS/GMRS Channel 16 (heard between 462.570-462.580 MHz.). Can anyone advise me how best to track down the source and/or interest the FCC in doing so?

djewel6

Interest of the FCC... Going to go with slim to likely none.. If the USCG cant get the FCC to bring down the hammer hard on people misusing marine radio equipment and frequencies in the VHF range good luck with any assistance on GMRS which is much more open licensed now..

NC1

What is your definition of interference? Is it a pulsing noise? Is it a constant hash noise? Is it a constantly scratchy noise that comes in and out every few seconds for a short period of time? None of the above? Is it in the house only? Or is it all over town? Do you have a handheld, base, or mobile station? What radio is it, and what antenna are you using?

Each one of the above questions will have a very different answer, so you will need to be very specific with your question.

KK6HRW

What is your definition of interference? Is it a pulsing noise? Is it a constant hash noise? Is it a constantly scratchy noise that comes in and out every few seconds for a short period of time? None of the above? Is it in the house only? Or is it all over town? Do you have a handheld, base, or mobile station? What radio is it, and what antenna are you using?

Each one of the above questions will have a very different answer, so you will need to be very specific with your question.
What I hear is an intermittent but very strong “hash noise” that resembles that of a ’buzz-saw’. I am using both a Midland MXT GMRS Mobile and Wouxun H/T radio. This signal is present between downtown Palm Springs, its international airport to the east (PSP), and Interestate-10 to the north. Interestingly, I do NOT hear this at my house which is ’in the shadow’ of 10,000’+ Mt. San Jacinto to my west. Thanks for the questions that may help me narrow down the possible source of this problem on GMRS!

n1das

What I hear is an intermittent but very strong “hash noise” that resembles that of a ’buzz-saw’. I am using both a Midland MXT GMRS Mobile and Wouxun H/T radio. This signal is present between downtown Palm Springs, its international airport to the east (PSP), and Interestate-10 to the north. Interestingly, I do NOT hear this at my house which is ’in the shadow’ of 10,000’+ Mt. San Jacinto to my west. Thanks for the questions that may help me narrow down the possible source of this problem on GMRS!

Is the noise sort of a "machine gunning" sound? Does the signal appear at regular intervals and for how long? From what you described, it sounds like it could be a beacon signal from a DMR repeater which would occur at a regular interval when the repeater is not in use.

Be aware that there are a few grandfathered businesses still using GMRS. They can remain there provided they keep their GMRS license current (i.e., don't let it expire) and don't make major changes to their system. Operating DMR digital on GMRS by itself is not legal and a grandfathered business putting up a DMR repeater would constitute a major change to their system and would not be legal.

Posting an audio clip of the sound would be helpful.

bharvey2

I'd guess that it is DMR activity on a GMRS frequency. If you have a DMR radio capable of monitoring in promiscuous mode, you could listen on that frequency 462.575mhz) and see what it decodes.

NC1

I'd guess that it is DMR activity on a GMRS frequency. If you have a DMR radio capable of monitoring in promiscuous mode, you could listen on that frequency 462.575mhz) and see what it decodes.

If it is DMR, they should know it's not allowed. Something like that could get the FCC field office to look into it, they don't want it going the way CB did. A recording can go a long way in identifying what it is, which can give us a lot more clues.

bharvey2

If it is DMR, they should know it's not allowed. Something like that could get the FCC field office to look into it, they don't want it going the way CB did. A recording can go a long way in identifying what it is, which can give us a lot more clues.

There were a number of linked GMRS repeaters running DMR listed in the midwest on mygmrs.org a few years ago. I believe those listings have since been removed no doubt because they were taken to task by the FCC. To be clear, I'm not blaming the website or its personnel for this. It may well be that the listings were removed by the website once the website trustees noticed the listing. If one is going to run afoul of the law, it's best not to advertise it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wouldn't be the first time someone ran digital on GMRS. In fact, wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a commercial user. There was a large nationwide shop that was busted for dumping commercial users on GMRS many years ago.

If I was a betting man, I might say that checking around near the airport might yield some interesting results. I know there was a rental car company using GMRS at one of the larger airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.