Height Question for Scantenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

tneff

I am considering putting up a Scantenna , the issues I have where we live is height. The wind wreaks havok on everything around here , the homebrew dipole I built is about 5ft off of the ground and does a good job for the 800's. I want to put the Scantenna around 10ft which would keep give adequate coverage from the wind , is it even worth while to put up a pole for this height and antenna. We live in a small town and the coverage I want to receive is 40 miles and less, the RG6 run will be less than 25' . The radios that will be on the Scantenna will be a Pro2055 and a BCT-8 , using the dipole on the Pro2055 at present but want to gain more coverage. My listening options range from 155.000 through 868.000 Motorola type 2, thanks for the input.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi T and all,

When it comes to wind survival the mast counts more than the antenna. While the Scantenna isn't the most rugged I've seen, if the mast is secure likely you would lose the roof before the antenna, then if you lose the roof all bets are off. If you're that concerned, choose a more rugged antenna. Don't sacrifice reception on the altar of fear, get that sucker up there and tie it down with a good set of guys.

Put it up as high as you can. If it comes apart those scantennas are easy to cobble and splice back together again. I had thunderstorms dismantle a few but that just gave me a box of spare parts to keep building stronger ones. The new upgraded "strengthened" models sold by antenna warehouse hold up much, much better to the winds. Takes an awfully nasty storm to tear one up.

k9rzz

The higher the better and 'if it doesn't come down ... it ain't big enough' .

Don't worry about 25 - 50 ft of RG6 ... use what you need.

John K9RZZ

sony

kb2vxa said:
Hi T and all,

When it comes to wind survival the mast counts more than the antenna. While the Scantenna isn't the most rugged I've seen, if the mast is secure likely you would lose the roof before the antenna, then if you lose the roof all bets are off. If you're that concerned, choose a more rugged antenna. Don't sacrifice reception on the altar of fear, get that sucker up there and tie it down with a good set of guys.

I had 2 Channel Masters one on a chimney mount 20 - 25 ft high with guy wires and another channel master on a 10 ft. mast with a wall mount? It looks like Y Y but less than 12 inches between the two pieces on the peak of the roof on house with guy wires. Below that there is 15 ft mast that is cemented into the ground.
In both cases the mounts survived many wind storms but in the end on the same day the top vertical piece on both antennas came off. The antenna was the weakest link in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.