• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Helicopter Radio Equipment/Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Funny you said many crew members listen to FM broadcast on the Wulfsberg or NAT. We had a small VHF Maxon to utilize for a backup on the PD channels mounted in the AC. More than often we turned the NAT to the local FM station for tunes and used the Maxon for primary transmissions!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wow, that much, huh? That's crazy! I mean the helicopter its self is a massive bill, let alone that constant mandatory maintenance and fuel.

I can envision law enforcement using some kind of drone that can loiter for hours and be a lot cheaper one day.

The latest Technisonic rig can accommodate up to 6x APX8000 portables. So basically cubic dollars. Lots of cubic dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
It is cubic dollars yes. Think around $9-12k for the Technicsonic 136B which is a single radio VHF P25 250 channels. Programmed with a simple serial interface and a single exe file with a single window that'll probably run flawlessly from Windows 3.1 to Windows 14. Then for their 9100 model with two modules, between $20-24k (varies beyond that with different modules, dualband etc.) Their 9x00 radios are literally APX handhelds fitted into an avionics package with a software interface tieing the APX and the front panel/display together. Programmed with CPS, and all its complexities and drive space, through a modified APX handheld programming cable.

You can imagine maintaining the load/codeplug for a state highway patrol copter, that probably needs to talk to 5 cities worth of trunked systems in its region, various counties, its own statewide agency load, fire and medical rescue, etc. along with any encryption keys.

A lot of DHS ships, FBI etc. are all privately owned helicopters contracted out for exclusive use, or call when needed, etc. Those will have public bids every 1-5 years to renew the contract. Those bids will have avionic requirements listed you can look up. Any company that flies for USFS must have two VHF P25 capable radios in it. More info at National Interagency Fire Center Also ships flying for USFS will have a standard aux port and BNC to external VHF antenna that supplies PTT and audio from a handheld radio into the audio panel. So someone could bring a BK handheld on board and plug in, and that becomes a temporary 3rd FM radio.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
You can imagine maintaining the load/codeplug for a state highway patrol copter, that probably needs to talk to 5 cities worth of trunked systems in its region, various counties, its own statewide agency load, fire and medical rescue, etc. along with any encryption keys.

Now that I didn't think of. I've seen many helicopters over cities on ADS-B Exchange and especially in California where the chopper is flying all over the place.

Thanks for the Info. on the contracts used with private aircraft. I didn't know that. I have seen aircraft over Florida registered to the FBI though. So I take it that's their own aircraft? Seen as how that registration number is filed for the FBI.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Now that I didn't think of. I've seen many helicopters over cities on ADS-B Exchange and especially in California where the chopper is flying all over the place.

Thanks for the Info. on the contracts used with private aircraft. I didn't know that. I have seen aircraft over Florida registered to the FBI though. So I take it that's their own aircraft? Seen as how that registration number is filed for the FBI.

CHP and Sac PD copters are prime examples. Sac PD's new Bell 505 has a TDFM-9x00 radio that covers VHF, UHF and 700/800. It's got to have both the old and the new SRRCS systems, probably Placer's CIRN and Roseville's trunked systems, the conventional VHF/UHF/800 systems for Sac and surrounding counties, CalFire, USFS, etc. And it'll need FPP access for VFO entry on both analog and P25 personalities on all bands, etc. It's probably nearly a full time job keeping up with that. CHP even more broad for some Divisions, you can imagine the politics and relationships required in the radio dept for keeping up with everyone's radio info in the Division and maybe even neighboring Divisions.

Those three letter agencies certainly have their own aircraft too - a mixture of department purchased, and military surplus that they probably buy for $1. We won't know what's on board short of an open house or airshow static display. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.