Helicopter Using 168.3500 Over Fredericksburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtscho

Database Admin
This morning, there was a helicopter communicating with either another helicopter or a plane over Fredericksburg. They were using 168.3500 NAC 001, which may have been a repeater input, because it sounded like they were talking to another party which was not heard. The radio IDs were 375263 and 342065. They were testing some type of system.

Dave

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Dave,

A number of years ago, 168.350 used to be a (federal) government-wide common user frequency for low-power itinerant use. It was sometimes paired with 163.100 and used as a repeater system. I don't know whether or not it is still used that way.

The Inspectors General of several cabinet-level departments used it nationwide in their travels as did some security details.

Larry

dtscho

Database Admin
Dave,

A number of years ago, 168.350 used to be a (federal) government-wide common user frequency for low-power itinerant use. It was sometimes paired with 163.100 and used as a repeater system. I don't know whether or not it is still used that way.

The Inspectors General of several cabinet-level departments used it nationwide in their travels as did some security details.

Larry

Yes, I'm aware that it's a federal common frequency. That's actually why I had it in my scan list, and was able to catch the traffic.

You didn't happen to check ADS-B to see what the tail numbers were, did you?

No, I was just walking around with the SDS100 - no access to a computer/SDR.

Dave

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to look at Flight Radar history for an area or do you have to have tail number or airport etc?

ecps92

That Freq/NAC has been reported for years in the DC/WV/VA area [and never ID'd as to the users] my notes show as far back as 2012

As others have pointed out:
Since the Freq is also part of the General Pool thru NTIA it could be anyone [don't get too focused on the NAC]
Some use it with CSQ for Analog, others $001 for P25 and then some of the Forest Service agencies show PL's

This has also been seen as Simplex, but also as a paired input to 163.1000

This morning, there was a helicopter communicating with either another helicopter or a plane over Fredericksburg. They were using 168.3500 NAC 001, which may have been a repeater input, because it sounded like they were talking to another party which was not heard. The radio IDs were 375263 and 342065. They were testing some type of system.

Dave

ecps92

DHHS has been noted using $100
Dave,

Larry

dtscho

Database Admin
They were active again this morning in Fredericksburg. Since they're up in the air, the signal probably has some distance - those in surrounding areas might want to give it a listen.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.