Hellenic/Greek Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECB85

tetra

Hello, are possibly in tetra digital system.
not be heard with a conventional scanner

radiobuzzer

There is an old analog frequency they still use occasionally. Some MP blamed them once in the parliament that they use this when they do not want to be recorded and that this mostly happens by the riot police during demonstrations.
It is referred to as frequency or "channel 83", but I do not know anything more about it.

Stavro35

Just so everyone is aware. Police scanners are illegal in Greece. Unless the law(s) have changed? Four years before I got my first computer, and went on line,. I had no way of knowing that in 1992, I could have lost my police scanner. I was sure, from the conversation that my mother was having in Greek, with security, that I was about to lose my radio.

radiobuzzer

Yes, this is absolutely true, sorry I did not mention it earlier. There are all sorts of weird stories concerning this legislation.

I was reading in a Greek speaking forum for electronics, that a guy was testing his new radio scanner. Apparently, during testing the scanner got accidentally locked to the frequency of the police, but he claims he didn't notice so, which I have no reason to doubt about. Then he put it in his car and drove back home. On the way he was controlled by the police, which found the scanner, saw the frequency and dragged him to the police department. I am not sure what hapenned in the end, but he was lucky to be a professional on the field of telecommunications.

Another piece of news in local press of Xanthi, recently reported that the police arrested... the manager of a funeral, who was monitoring the frequency of the fire brigade and the police in order to be the first one who will offer his professional services. Crippy. He was always the first one to show up, so it is obvious that they suspected him or he was snitched by one of his competitors.

Fast1eddie

Quick story, I was stationed in Elefsis, Greece for several years back in the mid to late 80's while in the army, Being a Signal Corp type, I brought several scanners and my Icom R70 over without incident. Think one was a Regency Crystal portable and the other a Radio Shack programmable that used hearing aid batteries for a memory backup. Hot receiver, still have it. Ran all over Greece with it and gray market Yaesu 2 meter ham rigs and would operate simplex with a buddy. Enjoyed hearing our pilots interacting with the Greek controllers. Never had a problem, used to monitor the greek police and our MP's. Different time then.

Stavro35

Is it possible?

Quick story, I was stationed in Elefsis, Greece for several years back in the mid to late 80's while in the army, Being a Signal Corp type, I brought several scanners and my Icom R70 over without incident. Think one was a Regency Crystal portable and the other a Radio Shack programmable that used hearing aid batteries for a memory backup. Hot receiver, still have it. Ran all over Greece with it and gray market Yaesu 2 meter ham rigs and would operate simplex with a buddy. Enjoyed hearing our pilots interacting with the Greek controllers. Never had a problem, used to monitor the greek police and our MP's. Different time then.

Is it possible that it was because you were American military that they didn't question you for the use of your equipment?

cmavr8

Hey guys!
I'd like to inform you that the part of the law banning scanners (which came into force in 2006) has been abolished by a law which was passed in 2012. So scanners are no longer illegal, but listening into police etc is.

If someone wants me, I'll find and link to the relevant laws.

Funny thing is, the first law (2006) prohibited all electronic devices that could scan. Technically this includes all modern TVs that scan the frequency spectrum to locate and save channels :p :p :p

Anyway, radio amateurs advise that even though scanners are not illegal, they should be carried disassembled (antenna and batteries removed). Greek police officers don't always stick to/ know the law so they may cause trouble if a running scanner is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.