Hello and Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgbwatts

Premium Subscriber
Hey there o/

New to the forums as you can see :) I tried making a post in "my" area of the forum for MD but seems dead in there and not got a reply at all to anything. Not that I needed any pressing questions answered or anything it just does not look like many people check or view that section.

First I was hoping to find a "mentor/Elmer" in my area to assist with some HAM radio info/whatnot. Next it would have been nice also to possibly meet or discuss with someone who is familiar with the scanning setups for my area for the new scanner I just picked up. I was able to get everything working myself from all the info here and other places, all be it disconnected. So I thought I would come here and maybe find where some activity is on the forum.

Which are some good active places on the forums? There are a lot of forum and sub forums here so any help would be nice. Have a great day. \o

Basic info:
Maryland/DC/Baltimore area.
BCD996P2
Win10 Proscan 12.3 (for now on trial)

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey there o/

New to the forums as you can see :) I tried making a post in "my" area of the forum for MD but seems dead in there and not got a reply at all to anything. Not that I needed any pressing questions answered or anything it just does not look like many people check or view that section.

First I was hoping to find a "mentor/Elmer" in my area to assist with some HAM radio info/whatnot. Next it would have been nice also to possibly meet or discuss with someone who is familiar with the scanning setups for my area for the new scanner I just picked up. I was able to get everything working myself from all the info here and other places, all be it disconnected. So I thought I would come here and maybe find where some activity is on the forum.

Which are some good active places on the forums? There are a lot of forum and sub forums here so any help would be nice. Have a great day. \o

Basic info:
Maryland/DC/Baltimore area.
BCD996P2
Win10 Proscan 12.3 (for now on trial)
Hi rgb
Welcome to RadioReference.

I'm not in your area, so i would not be of "local" help. (Also not a ham operator.)

I see you are looking to get your ham license. This forum might be a good place to start: https://forums.radioreference.com/getting-your-license-new-operators/

As you have a BCD996P2, be sure to check out the Uniden Forum.It's subdivided into several categories, depending on what you might need information or help on.

There is also a Software Forum; that's where you should look for software or programming issues. The author of ProScan is on the forums, and answers questions. In the software forum, there's a drop-down when you create a new thread, to specify which program you need information on.

For a specific scanner model question in the Uniden forum, use the drop-down accessible when you start a new thread to tag which model. That way, someone with the same unit would know which one you are asking about.

There are a number of articles in the Wiki that may be of assistance. Start with these:
Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki
DMA Radios Hints and Kinks
Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Be sure to check out the links on these pages when you have the time.

Also, if you're looking for someone more local to you to help get up & scanning on systems in your area, you should update your profile to show your location. City (or County) and State would suffice.

rgbwatts

Premium Subscriber
Great and thank you for the reply. I will check out those areas of the forum more specifically. Thank you also for the HAM info as well I will look into it. The wiki's (generally hate most wiki's) were good and helpful very nice work to all that put those together. Luckily so far I have not had any questions on the scanner itself, not sure if that has to do with my understanding of programming or just being engineering inclined. Oh ya RTFM :) well the good manual online.

Starting to look at FreeScan and then some possible Linux options. Then I am going to probably move into the SDR area.

Have a great day/evening.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Great and thank you for the reply. I will check out those areas of the forum more specifically. Thank you also for the HAM info as well I will look into it. The wiki's (generally hate most wiki's) were good and helpful very nice work to all that put those together. Luckily so far I have not had any questions on the scanner itself, not sure if that has to do with my understanding of programming or just being engineering inclined. Oh ya RTFM :) well the good manual online.

Starting to look at FreeScan and then some possible Linux options. Then I am going to probably move into the SDR area.

Have a great day/evening.
FreeSCAN is a good, easy to use, software program. The user guide is hosted in the Wiki: FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

If, at some point, you add the DMR upgrade to your scanner, remember that FreeSCAN does not support that system type. However, ProScan does. If you have created programmed files in FreeSCAN, then need to shift to ProScan because of DMR, just load your existing file(s) to the scanner, then use ProScan "read" the radio. Then, you can add any DMR systems & save the resulting updated file in ProScan.

Status
Not open for further replies.