Hello, and thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
So... now that I have the 396T, what program would be best to use? What are the Pros and Cons of some software packages? I would appreciate some information from the end-user's point of view.

zeno194, I am researching what you have said that was included in the 2050, such as a tap. Can you dub it down in more laymen terms of what it is exactly? Like I know you made mention of it decoding digital or something along those lines, but perhaps an example or reference based on without the mod. Just need some clarity if you will.

-Rylak

Highpockets

So... now that I have the 396T, what program would be best to use? What are the Pros and Cons of some software packages? I would appreciate some information from the end-user's point of view.

zeno194, I am researching what you have said that was included in the 2050, such as a tap. Can you dub it down in more laymen terms of what it is exactly? Like I know you made mention of it decoding digital or something along those lines, but perhaps an example or reference based on without the mod. Just need some clarity if you will.

-Rylak

Many here use this software:

Downloads - Sixspot Software

mancow

Database Admin
I should have a new 396 speaker around here somewhere. Do you feel confident replacing it yourself if I find it?

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
I should have a new 396 speaker around here somewhere. Do you feel confident replacing it yourself if I find it?

Wow, really mancow? I'm not entirely sure. That's not to say that I can't. I'll research and see about a schematic. If I can find one with good instructions, then I should feel confident enough to try. It's not an emergency issue, but one I wouldn't mind having fixed.

Right now, I'm just so happy and thankful for members pulling thru, I don't really know how to think right now. This has truly been one of my best life experiences. One that I will never forget. Now if you'll excuse me for just a moment while I locate a box of tissues. It's been a very emotional few hours.

-Rylak

SCPD

QRT
A disc tap gives you access to unfiltered untouched and super clean signal from the scanners signal to the pc.you use apps to decode the data sounds you might hear on the radio. Look up is google or youtube pdw decoder acars decoder unitrunker. Try to lookup as much stuff on youtube cause its easier to understand if you see it and not just read it.

Ohh yeah Rylak update your sig on here now that you have some radios :)
still working on a 2m (ham radio) for you

Last edited:

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Cool thank you. That will surely help to better understand exactly what you mean here. By the way, it's hooked up, entered about 50 different frequencies so far, and it's already performing admirably. Very nice clean radio here. I'm in love with this thing.

-Rylak

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, any good recommendations for a multi-band rubber duck antenna for a BCD 396T? It has an adapter on it. Besides Radio Shack, any other ideas? Would a Motorola antenna work if I remove the adapter? I realize if the Motorola one would work that it is for single band operation. Are there any performance differences between the normal type vs the screw on types?

I also may want to make a homemade dipole for base operations. Good? Bad? Discuss.

-Rylak

SCPD

QRT
The screw on is a SMA male if i remember correctly and the adapter is a sma to bnc. The stock antenna is out but the radio shack 800mhz is really good. So keep that adapter on and go with the radio shack one. How high up are you. You have access to the roof or you going to cut a small dipole and sting it up in the room. You can always try rabbit ear antenna for a TV just get a f to bnc adapter. Good luck

Mike

eagleswings01

Wow. There are some incredible guys in this post who truly believe in paying it forward! What a joy to read...

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
The screw on is a SMA male if i remember correctly and the adapter is a sma to bnc. The stock antenna is out but the radio shack 800mhz is really good. So keep that adapter on and go with the radio shack one. How high up are you. You have access to the roof or you going to cut a small dipole and sting it up in the room. You can always try rabbit ear antenna for a TV just get a f to bnc adapter. Good luck

Mike

Bottom floor of a 2 story complex apartment. The dipole would either be on wall inside, or might be able to do something outside. I read dipoles are great for hams, so wanted to try it for scanning use. But what would I use as reference to tune for? It will be used for multi-band purpose.

Radio Shack has rediculous prices! :mad: With that said, I'm liking the dipole idea.

-Rylak

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
Wow. There are some incredible guys in this post who truly believe in paying it forward! What a joy to read...

You have no idea. They gave me a new lease on life so to speak. I am so honored to have them as a friend. Nothing but great support getting me going with this.

-Rylak

eagleswings01

Nothing but great support getting me going with this.

-Rylak

I agree completely! If it wasn't for the great folks here on RR then I would have given up when I started doing my homework on scanning!

And please forgive me, I forgot to welcome you! Although I am new, I share your enthusiasm for this great forum.

Welcome and glad to have you here!
Michael

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
I agree completely! If it wasn't for the great folks here on RR then I would have given up when I started doing my homework on scanning!

And please forgive me, I forgot to welcome you! Although I am new, I share your enthusiasm for this great forum.

Welcome and glad to have you here!
Michael

Likewise my friend. I appreciate the kind words, and I'm sure the others who have helped me appreciate your comment. I myself am a firm believer of "Pay it forward". In time, I hope I can return the favor to someone else.

Life is too short for the crap some people deal with. But with these forums and having like minded people to share interests with, gives us some escape of our real life surroundings and dramas.

-Rylak

chittshrek

Premium Subscriber
eagleswings01 I have to agree completely with your post. I am a volunteer FF/EMT and got my first scanner when I was 16(half my life ago). And with all the trunking and digital these days I would have been LOST without Lindsay's idea and all the members on here. I have been apremium member for about 6 months since I got my Pro-106 when the shack had a good sale earlier this spring.
Rylak just reading this and wanted to say welcome aboard and enjoy your equipment. I have every scanner I have ever used. Unfortunately some that I had when I was younger I did not treat as well as I should have. Good luck. Wayne"Shrek"Miller chittshrek

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
I know this is irrelevant but may I ask how you came up with the name Rylak?

I was the Owner/Sysop of an MBBS/Worldgroup BBS System back in the late 90's before the Internet boon. One of the most popular text based games on my system was TradeWars 2002. The very elusive head boss in the game was named Kvir Rylak.

With that said, may I ask why you are inquiring? Do you know of some Rylak somewhere?

-Rylak

scanningisfun

I was the Owner/Sysop of an MBBS/Worldgroup BBS System back in the late 90's before the Internet boon. One of the most popular text based games on my system was TradeWars 2002. The very elusive head boss in the game was named Kvir Rylak.

With that said, may I ask why you are inquiring? Do you know of some Rylak somewhere?

-Rylak

i just had no idea as I have never heard of it before so I thought I would ask.

KJ6VIP

Premium Subscriber
i just had no idea as I have never heard of it before so I thought I would ask.

It is unique for sure. But a name I stuck with over the years. I was an avid World of Warcraft player as well, and my Hunters name is Rylak. Once I get my Amateur Radio license however, I will likely change my name to reflect that.

-Rylak

Status
Not open for further replies.