Hello buying new radio. P25 digital phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've had my scanner hooked up. Set my RS Pro 2051 back up last night and found that our state now has a digital trunk system. I plan on putting the radio online for locals to listen in on. After doing some research I have determined there are enough agencies using this system to warrant getting a new device.

So I'm needing some help in finding my cheapest option. I've looked at the rdrsdl option and think I'd rather have a scanner. So I'm needing to know what options I have available. I don't need anything fancy with a bunch of bells and whistles. Just something that will get me what I am currently able to scan and the new digital system. I'd like phase 2 just to Future proof a bit but if the price difference is that big I'd consider going with something that only does phase 1.

Thanks in advance for any help and info.

cnmsales

So after some research the one that seems to come up at a decent price point is the BCD996P2.

Can anyone speak to this scanner? I've seen some contains of it being difficult to program. Having had experience programming the RS Pro2051 is this going to be similar or are the complaints valid and it really is difficult to program? This will be the first time programming trunk systems but the price point seems right and is about the cheapest I see that will do P1 and P2.

BCD996P2.
Excellent choice!

As far as programming goes, most of us here have learned how to program our scanners, either by hand or with the help of software.

Using the database, it won't take long to learn. Good luck!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So after some research the one that seems to come up at a decent price point is the BCD996P2.

Can anyone speak to this scanner? I've seen some contains of it being difficult to program. Having had experience programming the RS Pro2051 is this going to be similar or are the complaints valid and it really is difficult to program? This will be the first time programming trunk systems but the price point seems right and is about the cheapest I see that will do P1 and P2.
Getting a Phase II capable scanner is a good move. While it may not be in wide use near you just yet, most new systems are using Phase II, and some of the existing ones will be converting from Phase I to Phase II.

There will be a learning curve for programming, but as you are a Premium Subscriber, you can use the web import into software, which considerably speeds setup. I would suggest that you look over the "Easier to Read" manual for the 996P2, to get some basic information to start.

For programming, look at this Wiki page for starting points. https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Program_your_DMA_Scanner
Software information is here: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_Software_Support

fredva

Feed Provider
A couple of additional things you might want to find out before purchasing a scanner: 1) Are any of the systems you want to listen to LSM simulcast systems and 2) how many talkgroups (channels) are encrypted on those systems?

The majority of digital scanner models can struggle with simulcast issues. It depends a lot on location. If your monitoring includes simulcast systems, you may not know how the scanner is going to work at your particular location until you buy it and try it out. Just keep that in mind.

Encryption can be determined by going to the system's database page and looking for a "DE" or "E" associated with the talkgroups.

cnmsales

Getting a Phase II capable scanner is a good move. While it may not be in wide use near you just yet, most new systems are using Phase II, and some of the existing ones will be converting from Phase I to Phase II.

There will be a learning curve for programming, but as you are a Premium Subscriber, you can use the web import into software, which considerably speeds setup. I would suggest that you look over the "Easier to Read" manual for the 996P2, to get some basic information to start.

For programming, look at this Wiki page for starting points. https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Program_your_DMA_Scanner
Software information is here: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_Software_Support

Thanks for the info. I plan on getting it up soon

Status
Not open for further replies.