Hello from London!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEC18159

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys. I just wanted to take the opportunity to say hello from London, ON. I just purchased a BCD396T and BC-RH96. I'm new to scanning and really looking forward to contributing to the community! If anyone has any tips for scanning in the area please let me know!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
JEC18159 said:
Hey guys. I just wanted to take the opportunity to say hello from London, ON. I just purchased a BCD396T and BC-RH96. I'm new to scanning and really looking forward to contributing to the community! If anyone has any tips for scanning in the area please let me know!

Welcome to the group.
You have yourself a mighty fine scanner there. It is the only one I have & need.
You can pretty much scan the OPP, MTO, MOH & NMR on fleetnet
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=861

Site#18 is one you should program in.
You probably will be able to program in other sites.
Take a look at the list, see which looks close and if you hear a control channel you should be good to go.

Do you have any software to program?
If you use arc software I can send you a file.
PM me or email me if you like.
London City uses 2 systems.
I have never listened to either but there might be some action on this one
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1780

As noted all police comms cannot be scanned , they are encrypted.
London fire should be good to go on this system:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2360

Again, some fellow scanner person in the area might have a file or scan help you out.

Eric

JEC18159

Premium Subscriber
Hey Eric thanks for the welcome :)

I'm not so much concerned with anything London Police related, as I'm pretty sure they are encrypted anyhow. Hopefully I'd like to be able to monito OPP, MTO, MOH & NMR on fleetnet. I've got an external speaker and hope to set up the external head in my vehicle for when I'm not listening at my desk.

Can you suggest a good antenna for use in vehicle? Is the arc software a good purchase to make?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
JEC18159 said:
Hey Eric thanks for the welcome :)

I'm not so much concerned with anything London Police related, as I'm pretty sure they are encrypted anyhow. Hopefully I'd like to be able to monito OPP, MTO, MOH & NMR on fleetnet. I've got an external speaker and hope to set up the external head in my vehicle for when I'm not listening at my desk.

Can you suggest a good antenna for use in vehicle? Is the arc software a good purchase to make?

I use a simple antenna for mobile use.
http://www.durhamradio.com/ks3sma-m...ner-antenna-with-sma-style-conn-pr-45505.html

There are many others on here who will laugh at this one but for my budget and scanning I get pretty much seemless coverage for fleetnet in the gta.

Hopefully others on here will chime on with suggestions for mobile.
I use a Diamond RH77SMA for handheld use.
It is long and hard to conceal but seems to work well.
I am thinking about getting a SMA3 or 209SMA as rec'd by an individual on here from Radioworld in Toronto.

ARC software is highly recommended by me.

You can download a demo of it here
http://www.butel.nl/

The demo will allow you to put in a certain # of files on your scanner.

E

VA3QRM

antenna...Comet SMA 3

This one works great for me. The lower portion from the connector to the bend point ( elbow ) is rigid, while the top is flexible. I can stash my 396T in my 'man purse'; a leather shaving kit bag, with the antenna elbow bent. It works quite well at home and mobile. I attach the scanner to the visor and the Comet SMA 3 can bend to not block my view while driving. It works well on Fleetnet, 400 and 800 mhz systems. A bit pricey but worth every penny. EJB's mobile antenna sugestion is likely good, Fleetnet coverage is excellent between Windsor, Sarnia and Cambridge where I do most of my travels. Also very good on the Bruce Pennisula, hearing multiple towers on both sides of Georgian Bay

Attachments

• SMA 3 Bent.jpg
    SMA 3 Bent.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Welcome to the board. I've been scanning London and area for many years now and if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

JEC18159

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to say thanks guys. Only a couple weeks into scanning and I've already programmed by scanner and I'm playing with ARC396 pro almost daily! I love it and I'm surprised how quickly I'm getting the hang of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.