Hello From Woodinville BC75XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupeG

Wanted to say hello. New to forum.

I used to have a handheld scanner similar to the BC75 in California and got a lot of chatter. I ended up getting the BC75 for Christmas but I am not getting any chatter at all. I was wondering if this is the wrong scanner to get for the area. I am in Woodinville, in the Cottage Lake area.

After a little research it seems that mostly everything is trunked or on a digital tone (PL) which I don't think I can get? It just seems odd that I have not received any chatter at all. Only the WX weather broadcast. Thanks and appreciate in info on this!

King County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Sebastian

wtp

you could

just put the frequencies in and listen, but, the scan button will be your new friend.
to try and follow a conversation you will have to hit scan to find it depending on the amount of traffic.
and lockout the data channel when it changes.

SupeG

Thats what I have been doing for a few days now, scanning through all my programmed frequencies, and also searching through all the frequencies. It stops on a lot of frequencies but all I here are tones, or squelch.

From what I am gathering every frequency is basically digital or trunked?

wtp

well...

i was wondering why the system is labeled analog and there are a couple that say digital.
maybe they have gone all digital. the data here can get behind sometimes if no one submits any changes.
the 75 is analog only and it seems it is time to get a digital scanner.
by the way a digital can also get analog, if you didn't know..

RBMTS

It really depends on what you are trying to listen to (or you programmed in your scanner). The King County / Seattle trunking system (KCERS) is almost all analog (except for a few SPD talk groups). The KCERS system is so big with many frequencies per site, that it would be almost impossible to track a conversation in conventional mode due to the number of municipalities and departments subscribed on the system.

If you are trying to listen to Washington State Police, most of their conventional frequencies and trunking systems are now digital.

You can listen to some interop frequencies though. MARS, OSCAAR and 155.3700 for example. Railroad and air comms can also be received on your scanner.

If you are going to look for a replacement scanner I strongly suggest you look at a digital Phase II type scanner. The KCERS will be turning 100% digital (the new PCERN system) in the future. Still a year + out but getting closer.

RBMTS

Typo - my bad. Meant to hit the "S" but typed the wrong key.

jdcaples

Premium Subscriber
<snip>
If you are going to look for a replacement scanner I strongly suggest you look at a digital Phase II type scanner. The KCERS will be turning 100% digital (the new PCERN system) in the future. Still a year + out but getting closer.

I recently reached out to both the Puget Sound Emergency Radio Network (PSERN) and the Seattle Police Department (SPD) about the coming changes.

Seattle Police Department responded to my recent query about the PSERN upgrades as follows: SPD's position is that the new PSERN system won't be fully operational until 2020 at the earliest.

Additionally, PSERN told me that they won't be the decision-maker with regards to encryption. Each agency will determine which talk groups, if any, will be encrypted. As of last week, SPD hasn't decided which - if any - of their talk groups will be encrypted.

-Jon

martidav

KI7VLV
Premium Subscriber
Amazballs that you actually received a response from SPD. I've sent polite queries over the years and received snarky responses or non at all. Perhaps O'Toole's regime changes are taking hold. Interesting.
Encryption is an age old topic around here, as you know. Who knows. It's expensive and all truly sensitive comm goes to cell phone anywho. We'll see.

I recently reached out to both the Puget Sound Emergency Radio Network (PSERN) and the Seattle Police Department (SPD) about the coming changes.

Seattle Police Department responded to my recent query about the PSERN upgrades as follows: SPD's position is that the new PSERN system won't be fully operational until 2020 at the earliest.

Additionally, PSERN told me that they won't be the decision-maker with regards to encryption. Each agency will determine which talk groups, if any, will be encrypted. As of last week, SPD hasn't decided which - if any - of their talk groups will be encrypted.

-Jon

martidav

KI7VLV
Premium Subscriber
I'm still torn between the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP and what is actually gained around here in terms of scanning/systems. TDMA maybe? Who's on it? Sound Transit maybe. Buses...
I'm traditional so I'm not wooed by "HomePatrol ease of use" blah blah.

It really depends on what you are trying to listen to (or you programmed in your scanner). The King County / Seattle trunking system (KCERS) is almost all analog (except for a few SPD talk groups). The KCERS system is so big with many frequencies per site, that it would be almost impossible to track a conversation in conventional mode due to the number of municipalities and departments subscribed on the system.

If you are trying to listen to Washington State Police, most of their conventional frequencies and trunking systems are now digital.

You can listen to some interop frequencies though. MARS, OSCAAR and 155.3700 for example. Railroad and air comms can also be received on your scanner.

martidav

KI7VLV
Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 is much easier to program and use than 436HP. Audio quality is a tad better on the 436HP but it's a pain to program and use. Go figure.

Oof. I've spent years mastering Uniden and GRE/RS programming & memory use. I can program either manually by hand if need be. I'm hoping Freescan will work on the Unidens as it does with my 396XTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I'm hoping Freescan will work on the Unidens as it does with my 396XTs.
Freescan doesn't support the 436HP and probably won't ever. There's not even an update to support the 325/996P2 DMR changes. The 436HP isn't impossible to program but it certainly isn't very friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.