Hello, new guy here with a couple questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

465_engine

I posted in the "New User / Getting Started Forum" and was told I should ask you all in the brand specific area. So for starters I've owned a few scanners in my life and fairly understand programming them (I am able to make them do what I'd like). Currently I'm using a Radio Shack Pro-92 that I have set up to scan Prince William County Fire Dispatch, Manassas Airport, Davison Army Airfield, and both MWAA airports. I'm looking to upgrade my scanning and get myself a digital scanner so that I can add a few more of the area fire departments (FD scanning is ultimately what I enjoy listening too). I'm looking at getting the TRX-1. My questions are:
1. How hard is it to understand the programming process?
2. How many banks/channels does it have and will I be able to set it up to scan PWC in one bank, FFX in another bank, etc, etc?

That's kinda it for now I am sure once I actually have the scanner there will be more. Thanks in advance for any help.

gonefishn1

You should read everything available online about the scanner you wish to purchase and maybe compare a few. I prefer the Uniden BCD536HP. Its so easy to program and it will do everything you want and more.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I posted in the "New User / Getting Started Forum" and was told I should ask you all in the brand specific area. So for starters I've owned a few scanners in my life and fairly understand programming them (I am able to make them do what I'd like). Currently I'm using a Radio Shack Pro-92 that I have set up to scan Prince William County Fire Dispatch, Manassas Airport, Davison Army Airfield, and both MWAA airports. I'm looking to upgrade my scanning and get myself a digital scanner so that I can add a few more of the area fire departments (FD scanning is ultimately what I enjoy listening too). I'm looking at getting the TRX-1. My questions are:
1. How hard is it to understand the programming process?
2. How many banks/channels does it have and will I be able to set it up to scan PWC in one bank, FFX in another bank, etc, etc?

That's kinda it for now I am sure once I actually have the scanner there will be more. Thanks in advance for any help.

The TRX series of scanners, like several of their recent ones, utilizes Object Oriented Scanning. The "banks" and "channels" is no long proper terminology when talking about that as an object (frequency, or channel if you prefer) can be added to multiple scanlists or scansets (groups of scanlists, defined by you). So yes, you could put PWC in one scanlist, FFX in anther scanlist, etc., and then have them turned on individually, at the same time, etc. These scanners are most easily programmed with a computer and you can set them up however you want to.

Check out some videos on YouTube or visit the "easier to read" online manual for the TRX series at: Easier to Read Whistler WS1095/1098 Base/Mobile Scanner and Software Manual

(Note: It says WS1095/98 at the top but it also applies to the TRX series.)

The TRX scanners are some great radios!

465_engine

gonefishn1: I have looked at a few different scanners and this was just the one that caught my eye, plus I have had other whistler scanners in the past. Also I'm looking for a handheld.

03msc: Thanks for the reply and the link. Do they include the programming software with the scanner to do it on the computer?

RPETER

new guy

Welcome aboard new guy. I recently purchased the TRX-1 and am experiencing an extensive learning curve which I guess is not a bad thing. I find my new digital scanner is a very different breed than my older analog radios. On youtube a set of videos I find very helpful is on "zip scanners". Definitely check them out as they cover both Whistler and Uniden.

The two reasons I wanted this radio was to receive digital mode and also to enjoy the larger detailed display that pulls up specific info for each station I receive.

I was able to do some programming out of the box using "Set Location" and plugging in my zip code.The scanner has an SD Card which contains the EZ Scan program so if you want to get into more detailed programming connecting the scanner with the supplied cable to your pc (not comparable with mac) and waiting a few moments for the computer to recognize the SD Card you can then download the program and set up the EZ Scan icon on our pc.

Yes you can set up multiple scan lists with different agencies and locations and rename them so you will know what each scan list contains. When transferring info from the computer to your scanner make sure the scanner is off.

I also find this forum very helpful when I have a question or comment.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
03msc: Thanks for the reply and the link. Do they include the programming software with the scanner to do it on the computer?

Yes, the EZScan software is included on the sd card that comes with the scanner, as RPETER mentioned.

Swipesy

The TRX-1 has 200 scanlists available. You can have unlimited number of frequencies and Talkgroups in each scanlist. You can also assign the same frequency(s) and Talkgroup(s) to multiple scanlists at the same time. You will find the programming of the Whistler brand scanner using EZScan far simpler than programming a Uniden.

wa4tux

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!

Just a quick note to say thank you for those contributing to this thread, especially the pointer to youtube's "Zip Scanners" channel. Between the two have pre-installed the software and have high confidence we will be using our new TRX-1 soon after its arrival this week.

dave

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Just a quick note to say thank you for those contributing to this thread, especially the pointer to youtube's "Zip Scanners" channel. Between the two have pre-installed the software and have high confidence we will be using our new TRX-1 soon after its arrival this week.

dave

Cool, sounds good. And welcome to the RR forums! I see that was your first post!

wa4tux

Premium Subscriber

dave

A quick follow-up - TRX-1 arrived this afternoon, (11/11/2016), via UPS. After a couple of minor perturbations, (and one more quick search of these forums), its working well and I have our local trunk (which is now on phase II) back. Many thanks again! dave

(Oh - I did finally "discover" that ARROW UP and ARROW DOWN controls volume on this one. BLUSH!)

Zip_Scanners

Welcome aboard new guy. I recently purchased the TRX-1 and am experiencing an extensive learning curve which I guess is not a bad thing. I find my new digital scanner is a very different breed than my older analog radios. On youtube a set of videos I find very helpful is on "zip scanners". Definitely check them out as they cover both Whistler and Uniden.

The two reasons I wanted this radio was to receive digital mode and also to enjoy the larger detailed display that pulls up specific info for each station I receive.

I was able to do some programming out of the box using "Set Location" and plugging in my zip code.The scanner has an SD Card which contains the EZ Scan program so if you want to get into more detailed programming connecting the scanner with the supplied cable to your pc (not comparable with mac) and waiting a few moments for the computer to recognize the SD Card you can then download the program and set up the EZ Scan icon on our pc.

Yes you can set up multiple scan lists with different agencies and locations and rename them so you will know what each scan list contains. When transferring info from the computer to your scanner make sure the scanner is off.

I also find this forum very helpful when I have a question or comment.

Glad you like the videos. Any way we can improve them?

RPETER

Glad you like the videos anyway to improve them?

Sure. Do some additional videos on doing more detailed programming like how to program P25, DMR and some of the more advanced stuff. Your videos are very good at getting people more comfortable with these new digital products and making that decision to finally go with a specific product less stressful. These digital radios are not a casual purchase given the cost so the more people know before buying, the better. In addition to the owners manual visual instruction can provide much additional insight.

Zip_Scanners

Sure. Do some additional videos on doing more detailed programming like how to program P25, DMR and some of the more advanced stuff. Your videos are very good at getting people more comfortable with these new digital products and making that decision to finally go with a specific product less stressful. These digital radios are not a casual purchase given the cost so the more people know before buying, the better. In addition to the owners manual visual instruction can provide much additional insight.

We're thinking of making a few advanced programming videos covering some of the things you mentioned as these issues come up a lot. Give us call us at 763.200.1157 and we'll walk you through any questions. Have a good one.

465_engine

Hey thanks for all the replies, sorry for being MIA for the last few days, work has been hectic.

Status
Not open for further replies.