Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

138thBatista

Good Afternoon! I am new to the forum and somewhat new to radios. I have dabbled in CB, and little Baofengs but that's about the extent of my experience.

My friends and I have Baofengs for backpacking, but I'd like to do something that's a little different.

I've done some searching, and Motorola does not make a dual band radio that cost less than $6,000. I am curious as to if anyone has any information, or a direction that you can point me to, to take either the XPR 6550/6580 UHF, and have it receive and transmit VHF, or vice versa.

Very interested in seeing if this can be done, even if it would appear to be somewhat of a waste of time!

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies are you interested in using? Do you have license for particular frequency? There are a number of radios available.

Last edited by a moderator:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am curious as to if anyone has any information, or a direction that you can point me to, to take either the XPR 6550/6580 UHF, and have it receive and transmit VHF, or vice versa.

Very interested in seeing if this can be done, even if it would appear to be somewhat of a waste of time!

The XPR6550 can be either VHF or UHF but not both. A VHF XPR6550 can not receive or transmit a UHF signal, and like wise a UHF XPR6550 can not transmit or receive a VHF signal.

The transmitter and receiver are tuned circuits, that are band specific.

The XPR6580 is a 800/900MHz radio and can not transmit or receive either VHF OR UHF signals, only frequencies on in the 800/900 LMR Bands.

The reason the multiband radios are able to transmit and receive on multiple bands is because the transmitters and receivers have been designed to operate on multiple bands.

138thBatista

What frequencies are you interested in using? Do you have license for particular frequency? There are a number of radios available.

We are on a public band of 146 and 432. We have baofengs that do what they've been advertised to do.

The XPR6550 can be either VHF or UHF but not both. A VHF XPR6550 can not receive or transmit a UHF signal, and like wise a UHF XPR6550 can not transmit or receive a VHF signal.

The transmitter and receiver are tuned circuits, that are band specific.

The XPR6580 is a 800/900MHz radio and can not transmit or receive either VHF OR UHF signals, only frequencies on in the 800/900 LMR Bands.

The reason the multiband radios are able to transmit and receive on multiple bands is because the transmitters and receivers have been designed to operate on multiple bands.

I had done a little digging since my first post. I had seen some firmware flashing done on the 6580 but it was only to open up the 900mhz band a little more. Thanks for the information!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
We are on a public band of 146 and 432. We have baofengs that do what they've been advertised to do.

Those are not 'Public' bands, those are amatuer radio bands, and one is required to have an amateur radio license to ustilize those bands.

I had done a little digging since my first post. I had seen some firmware flashing done on the 6580 but it was only to open up the 900mhz band a little more. Thanks for the information!

Probably to allow them to be used with in the 900MHz ham band, or to use the 800MHz public safety frequencies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
IF you are not aware, only MURS, FRS and CB frequencies are license free. All other frequencies generally require testing for and/or a license. There are restrictions as to what can be used where, such as Marine.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.