Helo Air/Air in Memphis??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorman

Anyone ever heard MPD helos talking with news helos, Air Wing, etc. on the typical helo A/A freqs for separation, etc.

I think it would be 123.025 or something similar?

ke4ppj

I'm a photographer for one of the TV stations that has a chopper and it's rare to hear MPD talk to the other helo pilots on the helo channel talk around.
I think I've heard them once...and that was when they were asking for help looking for someone....they wanted another set of eyes looking for some guys running.
They are busy when they're up with ATC as well as MPD comms.

Gatorman

That is good info. I appreciate it. In other cities where I have lived, the helos are chattering away with each other maintaining separation, etc., especially when there are several on a scene.

BTW, how does your chopper communicate with the newsroom, UHF or microwave link?

ke4ppj

Gatorman,

I work at 3 and we communicate back to the station by UHF. I can only think of one time in the past 6 years where we have used the microwave to talk back to the station. The nice thing about the microwave is that it's secure and the other stations can't easily listen.
The freq escapes me now...it's UHF. I'm not sure if the one in the database is right.

And I've noticed that all other choppers around in the air do communicate on the talk around channel. Anytime we are up and 5 is up the piolts communicate a lot....especially since they are so close. So you should hear lots of chatter. And they talk back to the station UHF as well.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Can ya update the database?

If it aint too much trouble could ya update the database with any frequencies that ya might have for the TV helos?

Every little bit helps........

I work on Presidents Island and 3 & 5 have flown over several times and I've always wondered what frequencies they may talk back to the stations on.

Status
Not open for further replies.