(help)396 firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandlair

hi all anyone having problems downloading firmware update for the 396? I know im a little late but when i download it shows up as downloads .htm ? I thought it should be an scn. file? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
mandlair said:
hi all anyone having problems downloading firmware update for the 396? I know im a little late but when i download it shows up as downloads .htm ? I thought it should be an scn. file? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks mike
mandlair,
That's your browser, or a security setting in it, trying to save the link (page detail) rather than the link target (the actual file). Do you have your pop-up blocker enabled? If so, turn it off for the download page. Then hit the download button.
You should get a dialog box offering the choice to save the file, run it, or cancel.

Which browswer are you using? Worst comes to worst, somebody can email you the file (assuming your email program does not block attavhments; Outlook does by default unless you disable that option).

mandlair

thanks for the help hiegtx got it to download. but keep getting error will sending to scanner com port is right,error 117 i beleive now i know why i waited so long to update.lol

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are you using the firmware loader file? If not, download & install it as well:
Install_BC_VUP_v1.0.0.8.exe

Also, the firmware itslelf, as downloaded, is actually a "zip" file (file extension *.zip). You'll need to unzip it before loading (using the firmware loader).
That's the other common hand grenade. If you can get the browser to let the file be downloaded, it then will save it, but either changes the file extension, or adds an additional, to file extensions like *.txt, *.doc, whatever.

If it changed the file name, first change the file name back to the correct name as on Uniden's web page: BCD396T_V1_11_03.zip
Now, use PKZip, Winzip, or other software (some of it available as freeware for download) to expand the firmware file.
The resulting file should be: BCD396T_V1_11_03.scn.

That's the file that you are going to tell the firmware loader BC_VUP to load.

Others may (and probably will) disagree, but in my opinion, the process goes more smoothly if you save (or unzip) the *.scn file into the same folder that BC_VUP resides in, rather than browsing or fishing for the file location where you saved or unzipped the *.scn file.

Status
Not open for further replies.