Help a n00b find a good reciever <$150

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZScanner

Hello.

I'm wanting to get started in the fascinating world of HF monitoring and in particular would like to pick up some local HF transmissions such as the NZ Mountain Radio Service and HF Maritime radio and some international utility services such as Number Stations, Maritime stations, seaphones and other things.

The sort of stuff this guy RX's:
YouTube - MattExzy's Channel

I am thinking of getting either a: (All USD from Amazon)

Sangean-ATS-505P & wire antenna for $119
Grundig G6 & wire antenna for $86.44
Sony ICF-SW7600GR & wire antenna for $152
Kaito KA1103 & wire antenna for $81

What do you guys think I should get. I live in NZ

SCPD

QRT
If it was me i would stay far away from a portable and wire antenna. Nothing but a headache and massive overloading. Get a used dx-394 or a used ten-tec 1254both can be found for about $150.00 if you must get a portable then go with the sony.

NZScanner

The problem is that having a desktop reciever shipped is a pain, and I can't find anywhere locally which has them. From time to time they pop up on trademe (nz auction site) but it's the super expensive $1000 icom receivers.

majoco

Stirrer
Just keep looking! There's been a couple of Kenwood R2000's, an R600 and an Icom R71 within the last month or so. After Christmas is good, when anyone who got an Icom R9500 will be hocking off their discards!

Cheers - Martin ZL2MC

Palmerston North

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Educate yourself. If you see a model that interests you, check out the links below to see whether someone has written a review on it...(anything in blue is a link)

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Being down in NZ I really don't think overloading is going to be a big issue (yes, it can happen...). If it were me, a 7600 is a nice starter portable radio, but desktops like the R5000 are often better performers if you can afford them...best regards..Mike

lanbergld

Hello.

I'm wanting to get started in the fascinating world of HF monitoring and in particular would like to pick up some local HF transmissions such as the NZ Mountain Radio Service and HF Maritime radio and some international utility services such as Number Stations, Maritime stations, seaphones and other things.

I am thinking of getting either a: (All USD from Amazon)

Sangean-ATS-505P & wire antenna for $119
Grundig G6 & wire antenna for $86.44
Sony ICF-SW7600GR & wire antenna for $152
Kaito KA1103 & wire antenna for $81

What do you guys think I should get. I live in NZ

My answer: NONE OF THE ABOVE. Please refer back to xeno194's post. He's got some good advice there.

And I still don't know why some people suggest that a 'beginner's' radio should be a cheap toy palm-sized disposable half-an-electric-razor portable. My opinion is that its better to actually start off with a real receiver, because there's simply more to fall in love with and more to play with. But anyhow, xeno194's recommendations are good.

Larry Lanberg

majoco

Stirrer
Trouble is, the stuff that's freely available in the US new and used just doesn't get down here - mainly due to the voltage - we're on 240volts and transformers aren't common either.

There's a Yaesu FRG-7000 on Trademe right now - expires Monday - listing number 338493497 - opening bid $155 and no bids and no reserve so far.

Cheers - Martin ZL2MC

NZScanner

Those seem like nice receivers but none of them are in my city and they may be expensive to ship. I'll wait till I see a desktop receiver on trademe in my city

mparker

you can get the Grundig Satellite 750 for $250usd on amazon, and its qualified for free shipping...

majoco

Stirrer
NZ$333at today's rate and Amazon have a problem shipping to NZ - don't ask why! I have to get my partner's son in the UK to order and ship to me!

majoco

Stirrer
Kaito = Degen in NZ. I have an 1103 and have used it for nearly three years. Works very well. Excellent sensitivity, good sound quality, lots of memories, strange jog dial system. Given my choices now, I'd buy a Tecsun PL 600 - same circuitry, different software.

Cheers - Martin ZL2MC

Premium Subscriber
My answer: NONE OF THE ABOVE. Please refer back to xeno194's post. He's got some good advice there.

And I still don't know why some people suggest that a 'beginner's' radio should be a cheap toy palm-sized disposable half-an-electric-razor portable. My opinion is that its better to actually start off with a real receiver, because there's simply more to fall in love with and more to play with. But anyhow, xeno194's recommendations are good.

Larry Lanberg

I must agree with Larry. A portable radio is like a 25 cent bag of Lay's potato chips! I got my first 'police scanner' in about 72' when Radio Shack was the only game in town. Back in the early 80's I wanted more. Chips cost $1 now. I think my first was portable Sony IFC2010. Back in the early 80's plus two weeks after getting my 2010 I wanted more. Alinco portable. Wrong! Icom R71A. Oh yes, now we're talkin'! By this time I have now wall papered half of my middle bedroom with maps, charts, frequencies... Yaesu 9600 (?) shortly thereafter. But wait, what's all those blips and screeches I hear? Chips are now $3.50. Info-Tech enters my life...along with a couple black and yellow (Oh my!) display screens. At some point during all of this I figured out that what you want to hear, what frequencies you choose and where it is night and day (let alone what season it is) are all connected in the HF world. Anybody remember the old spin wheel that AT&T gave out showing what time it was in other countries? Simple but what a quick tool. Throw in a few clocks, headphones, books (Klingenfuss for sure, WRTH and many others) and my bag of chips is now the size of a Volkswagen.

And then one morning at around 6:30 or so I'm sitting in Delaware with the headphones on and my MFJ1024 sticking out the window of my 3rd floor apartment waiting for the hourly A/C position checks on 3485 and I finally hear Vientiane, Vietnam!

I got a beer and ate my chips!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.