help a new guy please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cino

I would like to stream my scanner to a private internet stream so that only the people i choose can listen to it. really just me and my wife. can someone point me to a link that explains how to do this.

I have no idea where to start or what to use

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I would like to stream my scanner to a private internet stream so that only the people i choose can listen to it. really just me and my wife. can someone point me to a link that explains how to do this.

I have no idea where to start or what to use

I run mine through zello so I don't have to stream audio constantly. It's pretty easy to set up and only requires a scanner, computer, and an auxiliary cable.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
I run mine through zello so I don't have to stream audio constantly. It's pretty easy to set up and only requires a scanner, computer, and an auxiliary cable.

not the OP here but also interested. can you pls provide a link to 'Zello'?

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
I found that before I posted the request for a link as this one seems to be for a different application.

cino

I found that before I posted the request for a link as this one seems to be for a different application.

yea i am not sure. If I figure out something I will private msg you and if you figure out something shoot me a msg. its not at the top of my figure out how to do list but its definitely something on the list

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
yea i am not sure. If I figure out something I will private msg you and if you figure out something shoot me a msg. its not at the top of my figure out how to do list but its definitely something on the list

That's the correct app. Give me a bit and I'll type up a how to.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Here you go. I tried to cover the steps the best I could, but if you have any questions just ask and I'll try my best to answer them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Download Zello walkie talkie app to the computer hosting the audio feed (windows version http://zello.com/data/ZelloSetup.exe)
2. After the program installs you will be prompted to sign in or create a new account.
You’ll need one account for the host computer and one for each device you’re wanting to stream to. I use my screen name and add a “XXXX-1, XXXX-2…” and so on for each device, but you can do as you choose.
3. After you create the feed account you’ll need to create a new “channel”. Click the “tools” menu and select “create channel”.
4. Enter in the name you wish to use to find your channel, such as xxxx-feed. The description isn’t necessary. You can also create a password for the channel at this point. If you wish to make the channel listen only you can also choose that from the menu with the “only owner and moderators can talk; anyone can listen” option.
5. After you have that set up, connect your scanner to the audio input on your computer.
6. Go to “tools” then “options” in Zello. Go to the audio tab and make sure your “recording device” is selected.
7. Next go to the VOX tab and enable VOX operation. You’ll have to play with the input levels and volume on your scanner. I run my 996xt at 8 or 9 volume and the audio sounds good. Your scanner may vary depending on your computer. You may also need to adjust the activation and de-activation thresholds. You will do this in the next step.
8. After you have that set up select the channel on your contacts, right click, and select “connect”.
The “zello” button and the button with the lock picture should turn green. Click the lock button to turn it red. That turns on VOX. This is where you will need to fine tune your audio settings to get it to active and deactivate accordingly.
9. Next download the Zello app on your listening device through your app store.
10. Create a new login for your device and log in. On the android version of the app (the ios version is laid out slightly different but very close) click “channels” at the top right. Then click the button with the three people looking things with the plus button (to the left of the magnify glass).
11. Click “find a channel” and search for the channel you made on your computer. After you find your channel and add it you will need to hit the power button icon beside the name to turn it on and off. You may also choose to go into the options menu on your listening device and turn off the alert sound you hear every time your scanner transmits. To do this just click the options button at the top right of the app and go to “alerts”. Click “incoming message” and select “none”.

cino

wow you went the extra mile i appreciate i will give it a try

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Hey cino and rk911....have you had success? I can help you guys set up a private server with RadioFeed. I have my own private feed for local police and chose my own url!

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Okay just let me know, I have a really good set up myself and ill help you from start to finish

Status
Not open for further replies.