Help and Sorry but any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

weaver49417

So the last scanner I owed was a Bearcat years ago when you had to buy a frequency book from Radio Shack (RIP) to program. I recently purchased a Uniden SDS100 to get back into it. Night and Day Difference obviously. I'm Fairly confident in my Computer skills and the Sentinal software, Set Scan Selection, Range, basic firmware updates, Etc.... Problem is, outside of Trunking discovery, I only pick up basic police and fire that the app on my phone picks up. I feel I'm Missing so much. I Live in Michigan with a 49441 zip Code and hear nothing outside of some County Calls...Is my Area un Scanable for the multiple city units in my county? And I don't mind doing the work if there is a thread out there to help folks like me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So the last scanner I owed was a Bearcat years ago when you had to buy a frequency book from Radio Shack (RIP) to program. I recently purchased a Uniden SDS100 to get back into it. Night and Day Difference obviously. I'm Fairly confident in my Computer skills and the Sentinal software, Set Scan Selection, Range, basic firmware updates, Etc.... Problem is, outside of Trunking discovery, I only pick up basic police and fire that the app on my phone picks up. I feel I'm Missing so much. I Live in Michigan with a 49441 zip Code and hear nothing outside of some County Calls...Is my Area un Scanable for the multiple city units in my county? And I don't mind doing the work if there is a thread out there to help folks like me.
Hi weaver
Welcome to RadioReference

Have you updated the database in Sentinel? When shipped, the database in the scanner may be a couple of years, or more, out of date.

Are you scanning using only your location, range, and the main database? Or have you created one or more Favorites lists to use.

When shipped, as well as when Sentinel is first installed, the only public safety service types that are enabled are for dispatch: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. You should also enable the Tac & Talk service types- Law Talk, Fire Tac, EMS Tac, etc.

I don't see anything in your county that the SDS100 cannot monitor. I did see this thread in the Michigan forum, regarding a new talkgroup active in your county, that is not in the database.

Also, on the database page for Michigan's statewide system, MPSCS, I see comments that your county is building a new simulcast site (several towers) to cover the county. Someone in the Michigan forum might have a better idea on when it might become active & in use. The frequencies are on this license.

I would suggest that you request your thread be moved to the Michigan forum. Someone there might have information of any changes planned for your county. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

I also threw together a quick favorites list for your county, and added a new "site" to include what appears to be the new frequencies. No idea if in use yet, or planned target date, but it's there just in case. Save the file to your PC. Use Windows Explorer, or a zip utility such as Winzip or 7Zip, to extract the Muskegon.hpe file. In Sentinel, import the file, creating a new list. Try scanning it and see what you might here. But first, be sure to address the service types, make sure you have all the types for public safety active. Set the new Favorites list to be downloaded & monitored in your Sentinel profile, then write the file, along with the most recent database update, to the scanner. For the statewide system, in the attached file, I set the system to ID Search. That will allow any talkgroup that is active to be received. So, you may see some, with only a talkgroup ID, and no text tag show up, but most of them likely will be for nearby counties.

Attachments

• Muskegon.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

weaver49417

I have everything updated from Firmware to Data Base. Have all the Talk I want enabled, range where I want it, Created favorites list through Sentinal and Manually, Etc. I Get more coming in on the automatic zip code programing that actually comes from my neighbor county than i do from writing in from Sentinal. I first purchased a bcd436hp a few Months ago to get back into scanning and got to know that unit. It was suggested to me by a Dealer that I needed the SDS100 to Hear what I wanted as the bcd436hp couldn't pick up the local Police and Fire in my area. With all that said, I appreciate you and reply. I'll dig in more with your suggestions and get over to the Michigan Forum. Thank you again

WB9YBM

I've had good luck finding frequencies on this web site. Additionally I'll program in frequency segments on my scanner and just let the scanner do its' stuff--I've occasionally stumble across something interesting. Also do some sharing between friends who are also scanner enthusiasts. There are probably other options out there too but these are my main go-to resources.

weaver49417

Thank you
WB9YBM
I'm hoping to find folks here that are in or close to my area for tips and tricks. I have the programming down from Sentinal. I live in the back side of an apartment complex and going to try an antenna upgrade and see what happens

krokus

Premium Subscriber
One thing to keep in mind with MPSCS, is that most radio traffic is only carried on towers in the county of origin, and one ring of towers around that county. There are some statewide talkgroups (TG), but that traffic is only carried on towers where an authorized user is "connected" (which is called affiliated), and has that TG selected as the primary on their radio. This prevents out of area traffic from clogging towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.