Help----Anyone live around Hillsboro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I am kind of hunting here. I was listening to my local PD on 856.5625 (trunk system in central IOWA, the home of RACOM), and this happens quite a lot, but I was getting traffic about an Amish buggy rollover ( I couldnt make this up). The dispatch was plain as day talking about the accident 3 miles west of Hillsboro on state HWY.33 . The only Hillsboro I could find was in Illinois-----but no Hwy 33. I occasionally pick up traffic from South -Central Illionois on my local trunk-system mostly State PD or county EMS(also SW Wisc. sometimes). Its makes for very interesting listening-----can anybody tell me if I have the right area? And why this happens (I really like listening to the other areas----wish it would happen more!) Thanks Mike

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
I did a search on Hillsboro and found several states with one. Also could not locate Hwy 33
however many states use names in place of Rt. numbers where the police may use the acutal rt number. Sounds like you are experiancing what's called skip. Where siginals from far off states take a skip in the upper atmosphere and drop back down thousands of miles away. It's called Tropospheric Ducting. You indicated Amish. There is a Hillsboro in Ohio and would not be uncommon to find them in that state along with PA VA WV MD to name a few. Hope this helps some.

For all the teachers out there, I know my spelling sucks:)

Last edited:

Haley

Thanks for the help Mark. There are actually Amish people here in Iowa------but I didnt find that town here. I have often wondered if it is skip or not, because of the 800mhz freq. Sometimes I think maybe it has to do with the RACOM EDACs system. For the record , the freq. should have been 856.2625 NOT .5625, I must be getting old----its getting harder for me to see my PRO-92s screen! Mike

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
Haly, I may also may have miss understood part of that with the 800 If you figure it out let me know. BTW the Amish as you know are good people and are a bennifit to alot of communities the live in and around. Also we have two things in common, were both getting old and we both are running Pro - 92's. Have a good day. Mark

Last edited:

fireside

Premium Subscriber
hillsboro

There is a Hillsboro in southeast Iowa, in southwest corner of Henry county. RACOM freq. 856.2625 is used at the Marshalltown Iowa site. I listen to that site where i'am at, this site picks up alot of mutual aid (155.475). Don't know of any other RACOM site down there using 856.2625. just my 2 cents worth.

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks fireside.........I did another search (must of not did it right the first time) and I also found a Hillsboro in central Iowa in Louisa Countythat has the RACOM EDACS system.

Last edited:

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
BINGO Futher searched the RACOM EDACS sytem in Louisa County, Iowa. .I read Misc. Racom system info on the page I was on and found a few states are linked to that system. That kills the Skip thery I had. Here are the states:
1000 = Iowa
2000 = South Dakota
3000 = Minnesota
= Nebraska
5000 = Illinois
And here is the link to that info.. Interesting.
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1006

Last edited:

Haley

Thanks guys! I am sure that is it. I made the assumption it was in Ill. because I do get the Peoria, Macomb, and Springfield ILL. State Patrol sometimes. On the Pro-92s----I had a Pro-97 also, but took it back, it was a nice scanner. It just didnt do that much more than my old 92 (I use an ICOM R-2 for any Military Air). Now I just need to get a Pro-96 or Uniden 396! Thanks again, Mike

Haley

Well----maybe I spoke too soon. On the same freq. A women dispatcher just said to make your own case, and signed off Joilet state police ( and mentioned Hillsboro---again). Now I am confused! Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
You are probably hearing a link on the trunked system to 155.475. In Illinois we call it ISPERN (Illinois State Police Emergency Radio Network). In Iowa I think they call it Mutual Aid, other states have different names such as NLEF (National Law Enforcement Frequency) or WISPERN in WI.

Illinois uses this for broadcast alerts and pursuits.

Haley

Rich, that must be it. Now that I think about it, whenever I do hear them, it is usually an armed robbery or pursuit. Thanks for clearing that up! Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.