Help! BCT-15 Firmware Upgrade - scanner no longer works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
Maybe UPMan will see this before his vacation:

I just tried updating my firmware to the latest 1.03.04 version. The firmware in my scanner was 1.01.00. I downloaded the firmware and I already had the BC VUP 2.0.0.03 software from my successful 396 upgrade a couple of weeks ago. I followed the directions precisely. The only initial error I had was the updater saying I needed a registration key for a "major update" but then I found out that since this was a minor update it would work by just clicking ok anyway. The firmware updated through 100% but then at the end it gave a "check sum failed" error and said to try updating again at a lower baud rate.

Now the scanner display is blank no matter what I do and I cannot connect to the scanner to try and update the firmware again. Nothing works...it has made the scanner inoperable.

Now the really bad thing is that my scanner is installed as a mobile unit and it's in my dash. It will take at least an hour to remove it and an hour to put back in. I really don't want to have to send the scanner to Uniden to fix what would seem to be an issue that could be fixed by computer. I'm a loyal Uniden customer however I'm pretty upset that this happened to my main scanner after performing a simple firmware update and following the directions to the letter. Any help? UPMan!!!?????

Brandon

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you power up the scanner while holding down L/O+6 does it boot into firmware update mode (blank screen with backlight on)? If so, just reapply the update at a slower setting. I would also make sure that the power is constant, the laptop you are using also has constant power, and none of the laptop, scanner, and USB converter cable (if you are using one) is particularly warm.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
what you described is what it is doing. It also is blank with the backlight on when just turning it on. I've tried re-updating the firmware at different baud rates and on different com ports. I had set the baud rate for the highest setting in the scanners menu before applying the first update. Everything I've tried the software gives me a communications error and never is able to begin applying the firmware. The power is constant as far as I can tell...the laptop is operating off an AC adaptor in my car.

Brandon

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
also as for the equipment being warm....I'm right where you are in Texas and it's June. The scanner is installed as a mobile in my car. It's definately warm! :)

Brandon

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've run into one instance of high temp failure of update...which resolved when the temperature was brought back down to normal (and another one of failure at normal temps that resolved when the unit...a 396...was refrigerated for a bit before updating).

Wish you were closer to S. Arlington...I'd meet up to check it out, but I'm packing for a trip right now, then fly out for a week tomorrow, so probably not much chance of that.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
I'm going to church in a few minutes and I would drive down to meet you if it were any other time but I don't want to get in the way of you getting ready for vacation. I just got back into town myself so I know how the packing everything up is. I'll try to wait until after dark and see if I can get the A/C to cool down the vehicle...then maybe it will work. If not I guess I'll wait until you come back and maybe I can get some help from you then. I appreciate your quick response and trying to help. One of the reasons I'm a big Uniden fan is because of your quick support on the forums. Thanks!

Brandon

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
well I waited until it cooled off and after running my air conditioner in the car it still didn't work. The firmware uploader software will not connect with the scanner and it just has a blank display with the backlight on both when powering up normally and when powering up with the l/o and 6 keys pressed. I guess I'll have to wait for some help. Thanks!

Brandon

blueline_308

This may not help...but....on my 996, it wouldn't work until i used the fron port, which i dont normally use. I never saw a reference in the instruction about the front port. If u r using the rear port, try the front one.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
I have been using the front port...the scanner is mounted in my dash. It has actually lost power today and won't turn on at all so I don't know what's wrong with it. The backlight no longer comes on but I can hear the speaker click when I turn the knob on. I'm going to take the dash apart this morning and check the fuse in the power cord along with taking the scanner out and trying it on AC power...maybe there was a power issue although that's never been the case. I've only had problems with it when I tried this firmware upgrade. Everything else has been great with this radio. In fact I convinced our fire department to buy 6 of them for each of our 6 fire stations so we could keep up with what was going on in our surrounding cities to get a heads up on mutual aid calls.

Brandon

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
well I pulled the BCT-15 from the dash and tried it inside the house on AC power from the wall plug. No joy...the scanner is completely blank and no backlight turns on. I guess it's dead which rules out the power supply in my vehicle. The cigarette lighter that I'm using is confirmed to have power so I figured that it wouldn't work inside either. I just don't freaking get it! All I did was perform a firmware upgrade which failed then went to where the scanner only had the backlight on when turned on but would not operate and couldn't upgrade the firmware again to now the scanner does not operate at all and there is no backlight!!????

I guess I'm going to have to take the unit to Uniden for repair. Of course it is out of warranty but the repair fee is worth it to get this radio fixed...I'm going cross country in a few weeks and was counting on using it for travel. I guess I'll take my 895XLT while I'm at it and have the dead backlight fixed in it if possible.

Brandon

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
success!!!!

Yes! I finally got everything working again. I had my repair letter typed up and was ready to send the scanner to Uniden when I remembered this thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72056

I removed and reinstalled the ribbon cable and the backlight came back on. The first time I tried the firmware update again it failed and was unable to connect but when I chose the absolute lowest baud rate it worked and the scanner started working again. Well time to go put my dash back together. I'm glad I remembered the ribbon cable problem...I guess it was coming loose at the same time that I was trying to update the firmware. How inconvenient!!!!

Brandon

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Glad to see you got your scanner working again DMBFireman. Question for you... I've seen a lot of threads involving the ribbon cable popping out.... as I don't have one of these radios myself to check out, I'm curious... what type of assembly is used in the scanner? Is it simply the small rectangular socket that the ribbon cable slips into? I've seen in many many devices (including scanners) where this type of connection uses a 'socket' that has a little...ummm... lever or bar for lack of a better term that has to be lifted off before the ribbon cable can be inserted. Once it's in place the bar is pushed back into place which essentially locks the ribbon cable into the socket. I'm guessing this isn't the case with these radios. I'm wondering if the next time you have your radio out of the dash (which likely isn't often) if it may be worth while putting a dab of hot glue across the socket and cable to hold things in place.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
it does have the socket connection with a plactic lever. It works exactly as you stated. I'll have to remember the hot glue next time. Thanks for the idea!

Brandon

Glad to see you got your scanner working again DMBFireman. Question for you... I've seen a lot of threads involving the ribbon cable popping out.... as I don't have one of these radios myself to check out, I'm curious... what type of assembly is used in the scanner? Is it simply the small rectangular socket that the ribbon cable slips into? I've seen in many many devices (including scanners) where this type of connection uses a 'socket' that has a little...ummm... lever or bar for lack of a better term that has to be lifted off before the ribbon cable can be inserted. Once it's in place the bar is pushed back into place which essentially locks the ribbon cable into the socket. I'm guessing this isn't the case with these radios. I'm wondering if the next time you have your radio out of the dash (which likely isn't often) if it may be worth while putting a dab of hot glue across the socket and cable to hold things in place.

renze8173

Premium Subscriber
I thought that I was the only one that had those type of problems or bad luck. Anyway, way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.