Help. Brand New at this. I am trying to program my whistler 1040.

Sharushka

Book says to insert sd card into computer. Cannot find the sd card in scanner. I hooked up the cable to computer and scanner and the computer does not recognize the port. Tried all ports. Went to computer system and it let me download a shortcut to scanner on screen. Still wont work. Forced the port to recognize device. Still nothing.
Where is the sd card? What other kind of cable can I use? I am in middle Tennessee and I am willing to pay to have this scanner programmed. Any and all help is most appreciated. Where, when, how. About to scream.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome to the forums! The WS1040 does not use a SD card. What is your city and county and which agencies do you want to monitor? What programming software are you using? Your cable needs to have a driver installed to be able to communicate with the scanner. Make sure you are plugged into the PC/IF jack on the scanner, not the headphone jack. If your cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The WS1040 requires a TRS stereo plug.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Press "program", press new, choose conv or trunk , fill in the blanks as they come up , list #1, put in frequencys, if it's trucked put in talk groups, press scan not that hard

TAbirdman

Whistler has a step by step guides for programming a WS1040/WS1065 scanner on their Help/FAQ page under SUPPORT.

Sharushka

Welcome to the forums! The WS1040 does not use a SD card. What is your city and county and which agencies do you want to monitor? What programming software are you using? Your cable needs to have a driver installed to be able to communicate with the scanner. Make sure you are plugged into the PC/IF jack on the scanner, not the headphone jack. If your cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The WS1040 requires a TRS stereo plug.
I am using the user manual that came with it. and the cable that came with it. it says it is a usb scanner programming cable. I checked and I am plugged into the pc/if jack. not the headphone or dc ports. I downloaded software from radio reference that said it was compatible with this site and my scanner. PSR Edit 500/600 for whister ws1040. I am at a loss. btw, I am in middle tennessee, Cannon county but I am from Maryland. AA county. Thank you for replying. I am going to order a new cable to see if mine is just a dud.

Sharushka

Press "program", press new, choose conv or trunk , fill in the blanks as they come up , list #1, put in frequencys, if it's trucked put in talk groups, press scan not that hard
It is for someone who has never even held a scanner before. What is the difference between conv and trunk? And how will I know what the difference is and what to put where?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
It is for someone who has never even held a scanner before. What is the difference between conv and trunk?
"Conventional" in scanner parlance refers to frequencies that are not a part of a trunked radio system. Simplex frequencies and non-trunked repeaters are considered conventional.

And how will I know what the difference is and what to put where?
Consult the Radioreference database. Conventional objects will be listed on a county's main database page. One frequency, one tone (if applicable), Modes can be analog: AM, FM, NFM (narrow FM) or digital: P25, DMR, NXDN & others. Any time you see an uppercase "E" after any digital mode (as with P25E or DMRE) this indicates full encryption and thus the frequency cannot be monitored by ANY receiver not intended to operate on the system. A lowercase "e" would indicate part-time encryption.
1681236404825.png

Trunked radio systems containing at least one site physically located in your county will be linked as outlined below in red (& in this example highlighted green due to a recent update) in the database. Click the wiki linked here for more info about how trunked radio systems work
1681236623319.png