Help! Can't establish communcation with scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

There's a new version (1.52) of Win500 that will attempt to find the PSR-500/600 automatically.

Of course, for it to work we must presume that a) the scanner works, b) the cable works, and c) you have correctly installed the drivers for the cable.

n5gqb

Don S:
As for win 500. If I try to download I get a time out error. If I try to upload I get a cannot start the write command error.

High pockets: Thanks for the link, I was only looking in the support section, you'd think they would put it there. Anyway I d/l it and there is no installer packed with it, only an uninstaller. Plus it was a little bit older version (but as long as it would work)

Of course its now 9:01pm and RS just closed ^:-

n5gqb

GOT IT TO WORK!
Just wanted to let everyone know that I apparently have a bad programing cable. I went down to RS the other day and bought their cable (which is the same thing but red colored and RS branded) and POOF, it works now.
Thanks for all who tried to help.

Highpockets

GOT IT TO WORK!
Just wanted to let everyone know that I apparently have a bad programing cable. I went down to RS the other day and bought their cable (which is the same thing but red colored and RS branded) and POOF, it works now.
Thanks for all who tried to help.

How sweet it is. :D

Dann

Premium Subscriber
Have you worked out the problem,I just got a PSR-400 and the ARC300 software and i cant get any information to my scanner.

Dann

SCPD

QRT
just my option

i found with the new firmware for the usb cable, that i must first plug it to my laptop, then to my psr 600, with scanner already on, if i plug it into my scanner first, i get the error message, so give it a shot.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I have a similar, but different problem. If I use Win500 (newest version) and the latest drivers for the cable I can connect, read, and control the scanner, but I can't upload to it. The software will say that it has uploaded, but the scanner freezes at 87% and requires a restart and reinitialize.

I can control and upload using the PSR600 Demo software that comes with the scanner. When I use Win500, the red TXD LED does not light up at all, but the green RXD one does. When I use the demo software the lights operate as they should.

This doesn't seem to be a cable problem since it works with one package and not the other.

Anyone have any thoughts?

mikey60

I have a similar, but different problem. If I use Win500 (newest version) and the latest drivers for the cable I can connect, read, and control the scanner, but I can't upload to it. The software will say that it has uploaded, but the scanner freezes at 87% and requires a restart and reinitialize.

I can control and upload using the PSR600 Demo software that comes with the scanner. When I use Win500, the red TXD LED does not light up at all, but the green RXD one does. When I use the demo software the lights operate as they should.

This doesn't seem to be a cable problem since it works with one package and not the other.

Anyone have any thoughts?

What CPU firmware version is in the scanner? (You can find out by pressing the #3 key while the welcome message is displayed at power up) It sounds like you may have a very old version. The latest firmware is available on the GRE web site at GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Latest CPU firmware is 1.6
Latest DSP firmware is 1.3

Mike

SCPD

QRT
hey gary, i also found that i cant not upload/download if i am montoring the scanner with the software, i must disconnect, then upload/download, than reconnect, try this and see if it works.

Hoofy

It sounds like it might be a com port problem.

connect the cable to the computer and the scanner and make sure the scanner is turned on.
On your desktop click on Start, then clk on MY COMPUTER, midway down on left clk on System. then find the tab HARDWARE and clk on that and then on to DEVICE MANAGER and scroll down to PORTS and clk on the x in the box and it should show you what port number the computer has assigned to that cable and device.

Then you will know what port to use in the software. If they are the same then you may have a cable driver problem.

If you have already done this then you are way ahead of me when I started. ...Good Luck

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think it might be a conflict between the computer and the cable. Using different brand of computer and a different PSR600, but the same software and profile we were able to program the scanner. The PSR600 demo software works fine and actually Win500 will download from and control the scanner. The only problem is upload to the scanner.

I was able to figure out how to manually enter the one conventional object I wanted to add, so it's not a huge issue right now. Of course that was a bit tedious so if I want to make more changes I'll have to figure the problem out.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

mikey60

I think it might be a conflict between the computer and the cable. Using different brand of computer and a different PSR600, but the same software and profile we were able to program the scanner. The PSR600 demo software works fine and actually Win500 will download from and control the scanner. The only problem is upload to the scanner.

I was able to figure out how to manually enter the one conventional object I wanted to add, so it's not a huge issue right now. Of course that was a bit tedious so if I want to make more changes I'll have to figure the problem out.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

As I posted before, the problem you describe sounds like old Firmware in the radio. What version is in your scanner? Press the #3 key at startup to see...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.