Help! Can't establish communcation with scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5gqb

Just got the scanner, wanted to go ahead and do the updates (cpu/dsp). Installed the usb driver for the programming cable with no prob. D/l'ed the updates, hooked scanner up and put it in upgrade mode (pgm/power up), selected correct comm port, clicked "test" and eventually comes back with "no data" from scanner retry step one....
I don't have any programming software at this time to test further.
I also do not get any led activity on the usb/serial adapter.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the cable as well.

Any ideas??
Fixin' to try another computer in the meantime.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
When you say you selected the comm port, which port did you select? Did you verify the comm port number through the device manager?

Another thing that would help is to know the type of scanner you are dealing with. Just in case there are any little differences between say the PSR-500 and PSR-400.

Initial gut feeling is it sounds like you don't have the correct comm port selected.

n5gqb

Sorry, This is a psr-500.
Yes I confirmed the comm port in device manager (comm port 6 in my case) (winxp user).
I tired another computer and the same results. I also tried changing baud rate too, from the default 9600 to 115200.
Is there a setting in the scanner that I'm missing to make this work?

mikey60

Do you see any activity on the LEDs on the USB cable when you're attempting the update? There should be at least some activity there that occurs at the time you press the test button.

Mike

737mech

Premium Subscriber
You missed a step

Read the downloading instructions very carefully, you will find there is a power on step, key functions to put the 500 in firmware mode. Go back and read the instructions.

mikey60

I do get some activity on the green rxd led but thats it.

Ok, the Green LED is data from the Radio to the Computer, so the scanner is in the correct mode to accept the updated firmware (It's sending the transmit signal for the updater).

Verify again, using the device manager that the port is correct. It's the only thing I can think of now. It should be under Ports (COM & LPT) and listed as "USB Serial Port(COMxx)" where xx is the correct Com port.

Mike

n5gqb

yes the com port is set correct. I just tried it again and this time my computer locked up when I hit the test button, had to force reboot on the computer. I think I may be having some compatibility issues with the usb/serial drivers. I am running xp home w/service pack 3. I notice that the instructions for the driver install was sort of weird, "Plug in the adapter before installing the drivers, let the computer detect it then hit cancel and install driver and then plug in" or something like that...

griswob

I had the same problem. Read the instructions carefully. 1st step is to plug in the communcation device, turn on scanner, let it start scanning. 2nd click the test button for communication. The program will notify you tha connection has been established. 3rd turn the scanner off.Restart the scanner with the key press (prog key for cpu). then do the whole sequence again except press the steup keys (0, prog) for the DSP up date.

n5gqb

I just tried running win 500 and it still will not communicate with the scanner. It says no response from scanner. Com port is set right with win500.

Let me ask y'all this regarding the usb adapter install files. I think this is where my problem is, providing I don't have a bum adapter or scanner.
I notice in the install files there is a CDM 2.02.04 WHQL folder and a CDM 2.02.04.exe file. I have installed the .exe file. What is the WHQL folder for? I see there is no executable files in there.

I will paste (to the best of my ability) the instructions I have for the usb adapter below that I have been using:

Attachments

• 30-3290 USB Driver Install.jpg
    30-3290 USB Driver Install.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 325

mikey60

I just tried running win 500 and it still will not communicate with the scanner. It says no response from scanner. Com port is set right with win500.

Let me ask y'all this regarding the usb adapter install files. I think this is where my problem is, providing I don't have a bum adapter or scanner.
I notice in the install files there is a CDM 2.02.04 WHQL folder and a CDM 2.02.04.exe file. I have installed the .exe file. What is the WHQL folder for? I see there is no executable files in there.

I will paste (to the best of my ability) the instructions I have for the usb adapter below that I have been using:

Can you post a screen cap of the device manager for us to look at? It should look something like the attached.. The USB Serial Port is the one you're looking for.

Mike

Attachments

• devmgr.jpg
    devmgr.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 337

mikey60

Ok, that confirms your previous message about the cable being on COM6.

There's 3 possible issues that I can see now then.

1. There's a conflict somewhere between the cable and the com port the driver selected.

2. The USB cable is bad.

3. The PC/IF port on the radio is bad.

Of those, #1 or #2 would be the most likely...

Try another port on the USB cable. You can do that by right clicking on the USB Serial Adapter in the device manager, and then choosing the Properties option in the menu that appears. Then switch to the Port Properties tab and click on the Advanced button. The pull-down for the port number is at the top of that screen. Try something a little higher like 8 and see if it makes a difference.

Mike

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
With my USB to serial adapter used on my Uniden, I had to replace the USB cable that plugged into the adapter to get it to work. The little USB to Serial adapter itself worked fine, but the included USB cable/wire that connected the USB port to the adapter was bad.

Not sure if this applies to your GRE or not, but thought it worthwhile to mention.

n5gqb

Thanks all, so far I'm believing there is: 1)problem with the usb adapter, 2)the pc/if in the scanner, 3) the usb/serial adapter driver on the CD is corrupt. I don't see it on the GRE site for download.

I have installed the usb adapter on 3 different computers and pretty much the same results on all of them, no communication reception from the scanner, I only see activity (led blinking) on the RXD led in the adapter. Not sure which way the RXD led is refering to, rx from the scanner or computer?

I did try a different com port and no joy.

I am going to check locally and see if someone else has this scanner and borrow their adapter and or try their scanner (one guy I know locally was talking about getting a psr500 a while back) and see if it works.

I am going to pop the case of the adapter and the scanner and look at connection points with a magnifier and see if any cold/bad joints and ohm out the cable wires itself.

As for replacing the usb cable part of the adapter, it is not possible (well not easily) as it is hard wired to the adapter not plugged in, as like the Uniden (I assume).

If anyone still has things for me to try please speak up!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I agree, the way this is sounding is you probably have a cable or radio problem. If you're on good terms with anyone in a Radio Shack store, visit them and see if they'll let you test their USB cable on your radio to see if it works.

There also has to be someone in College Station who would be willing to meet you somewhere and try to help you out.

You've definitely surpassed the normal 'newbie' status working this problem most don't even know what a comm port is or how to find the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.