Help Choosing my Next SDR Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb1ipd

Hi -

Before anyone tells me "Just google it" or "It's not our job to go out there and research this for you," I will say that I have done a lot of googling and looking into the features of these receivers and have found that it's actually a lot harder than that to find a good one. The problem is that how these receivers look on paper turns out to be a lot different than how users report they actually work. For example, a couple look perfect for what I want to do, but then when I look at forums and blogs about it, I find users reporting that they underpreform expectations due to things like high internal noise generation or poor reception on certain bands.

For example, the HackRF one looked perfect in a number of ways, until I read some user reports who said that the sensitivity and signal to noise ratio left a lot to be desired, compared to others. The Airspy HF plus looked great, but I've seen some users say that the HF reception is not so great. That said, it might be that those end users are not using the best antenna.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the SDRPlay, but now I see posts from some saying that it is less than 100% compatible with a lot of software. The Airspy HF+ also looked interesting, but I am about annoyed that it has a big gap between HF and VHF capabailities, which means I couldn't monitor stuff around the 50 mhz area, which includes the interesting 6 meter band. Also, the sampling bandwidth seems to leave some to be desired.

So that's why I'm not asking google. Too many conflicting results!

Right now, I have been using the RTL-SDR and it's an amazing receiver for the cost, but I love SDR so much that it's time to upgrade.

Here are the features I am looking for:

1. Must be the best possible receiver in general, with no gaps, no portions where internal components generate noise, good sensitivity etc etc.
2. Wide bandwidth (much wider than RTL) - Looking for someting on the order of 8 to 10 mhz or more.
3. Would like the bandwidth to be adjustable, so it won't choke the system if I'm running it on my laptop, which is a couple of years old
4. Full, seemless spectrum coverage, from at least a few khz up to at least 2.0 ghz or so. Of course, even more is better
5. Multiple antennas, at least for HF and VHF and higher. This is obviously important, since you don't want to try to receiver UHF with a long wire. Ideally, it switches automatically. The SDR play seems to do this.
6. Compatible with the software I already use. Primarily I use SDR# for most general purpose stuff, but I also use other Windows and Linux software. I've tried it out on Android, but I don't use that as often, because most of the professional software I use is for Windows, so that's just my main operating system.
7. Would be nice if i could hook it to a Raspberry Pi and then transmit the data over a network, so I could access it from multiple computers and alternate locations.
8. Being able to transmit is not really important to me. It would be an interesting thing to play around with, but I'm really looking to receive.

Right now, I am leaning toward the SDR Play. Most people seem to have good experiences with it, but I've also read that some major SDR software can't use all the features of it.

Again, I apologize if this comes off sounding like "Don't expect us to do your homrwork for you." It's not that. I've tried and found a lot of conflictory information. I'm hoping that people here have owned these or owned multiple units and can give some personal testimony as to how well they worked out.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use an RSP2. The newer version is the RSPdx. I use it on an older laptop with 8GB of RAM as 4GB worked, but was jerky when using it remote. Especially when viewing 10 MHz of bandwidth. 16GB would help, as well as a faster processor, but 8GB was the limit on the old laptop.

I use Chrome to remote in and operate. I use a Mac primarily.

I use SDRuno. I tried using a certain older version and the latest version of SDR#, but no go. I had to adapt and overcome by learning and using Uno. I tried other software, even on my Mac, but no go. I recently installed Uno so still learning, but I like it / became familiar with it.

10 MHz is a wide spread. I rarely use it that wide, but it is nice to have that option. I use a 2MHz spread setting, and typically zoom in to identify and select signals. Your use and needs may vary.

The SDRPlay is a step up from the RTL-SDR. Spend the $200 and get the RSPdx and start having fun. There may be an unfamiliarity with Uno, but stick with it.

kb1ipd

You're rigth that 10 Mhz of sampling is a lot, but it would mean room to grow and , most importantly, the ability to display a good chunk of spectrum. My computer can handle that. My laptop, perhaps not so much.

Anyway, this is why I find it so confusing. I've gone and looked through everything and get conflicting info:

HackRF One - Looks impressive on paper, but having spoken to those who have used it, the performance just does not seem that great. It apparently is not entirely stable and some of the internal components may generate noise.

SDR Play -
Looks really good. Does it preform well? Well, to be honest, no matter what the specs, it always seems that owners know best whether it lives up to expectations. The inability to fully work with SDR# (or so I've read) is a huge bummer for me. I'm most comfortable in Windows, because I have just always used Windows for work stuff . So while I love Limux, I usually fire up windows. SDR# is just great. It has a vibrant development community ad I've managed to write a couple custom plugins. It's simple and lightweight. It is by fr my favorite, so that's a big bummer.

But if there is a workaround to make it play nice ith all software, that would change things a lot.

AirSpy -
They have a number of good looking products, but there are some things I don't expecially like about them. For one, there are some gaps where they don't receive well or at all. I'd rather not have to put on a converter unit to get lower frequency coverage. Inevitably that introduces noise. Also, my prefernce is to keep my receiver in a sealed, insulated box outdoors, right at the antenna. I'm interested in both HF and higher stuff, so that's not something I can keep climbing up a poll to deal with

BladeRF - IN addition to it being strictly for use over 300 mhz, I've heard some owners express less than full satisfaction wth performance and stability

Funcube - Far too little bandwidth

Ettus Resaearch Products -
Far too expensive and many don't have quite the continuous coverage I'd like.

LimeSDR - Looks okay, but I've also heard rumors that it's just not the best receiver. Also, not well supported and lacks much of a development community

There are others I've looked at. Many are very expensive. The one thing I've discovered is that many of them look very good on paper but the owners seem to be less than satisfied, which is why it's always good to ask around and not just go based on their published specs.

MrColad

IMHO I would go with both the AirSpy and the SDRPlay as they are the two best mid priced sdrs to date. Both have their pluses and minuses but for 4 bills you'll possess an awesome combination. The AirSpy has reached the ease of setup like the FunCube as the drivers are pretty much already installed but the frequency gap is unacceptable depending on your listening preferences. The SDRPlay is full spectrum but I've yet to hear that the setup is easier then sdr sticks which require several steps to get drivers installed. If you want to get your feet wet before diving into sdr tune around the bands with some on SDR.hu

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.