WS1065: Help Cleaning up Audio when streaming with ScannerCast

eastexwatcher936

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone. I am looking to get some advice on how to clear up the audio that is being streamed from ScannerCast. I'm not sure if this is scanner specific or not but I figured i'd try and get started here in this forum.
Current setup
Scanner > Dedicated Desktop with Aux > ScannerCast > Private External Site
It seems between ScannerCast and anything beyond, the quality of the audio drops significantly.
What recommendations do you guys have to try? Are there any better software solutions that you guys know of to stream audio locally?

eastexwatcher936

Premium Subscriber
Seemed to solve my own issue. Posting here for others. I changed the audio jack port on the desktop to the one in the back and it cleared up the quality significantly. Hope that is helpful!

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I would need to hear a audio clip. but the output volume from the scanner and the output volume off the PC can be too "hot" this will make the audio distorted on the receiving end. The fix is to lower the audio until it transmits without distortion.

a417

U+0000
A lot of the issue will have to do with what kind of noise you are trying to eliminate. "quality of the audio" can be quite vague, and needs to be specified a little better in hopes of solving the problem.

If it's something like static or a weak signal (or in some cases multipath) on RX, you might need a better antenna/signal path into the scanner.

If it's loud and garbled and unintelligible, you might need to make sure you are not overdriving the computer line in (and make sure you are not using an amplified output on the scanner or mic in on the computer unless you can't help it). Levels can quickly rectify that, as well as using line level outputs & inputs, or padding the input into a mic source.

If there's a constant annoying hum on the audio that you do not hear on the scanner when it's unplugged from the computer, but you do when you connect the two - that's a ground loop/hum that can also be solved with a ground loop isolator or other alternative means.

These are just three of the bigger issues that plague scanner/computer hookups - and can be usually solved with just some careful thinking.

What exactly are you trying to get rid of?

Last edited: