• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help comparing Retevis RT76P vs Wouxun KG-805G

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts1000

Newbie,
looking for some help comparing these two radios. Both say 5W, repeater capable, removable antenna. But one costs 2x more.
Both, I think made in China. I do not understand enough about specs/features, therefore just asking for help to decide.
RT76P
KG-805G

OldEastSider

I have an 805-G and it was made in Taiwan (purchased this year).

There are several videos of the 805 on YouTube by a guy who owns one of the online radio stores. You may want to check them out.

I have no knowledge of the Retevis, but the Wouxun is probably the best entry level GMRS radio you can buy. Rx and Tx is outstanding in my (hilly and mountainous) area and I can talk to folks over 40 miles away using the local repeater. It's easily programmable with the USB cable and just as easy using the buttons on the device as well.

It feels solid and well built. It's a little bulky and other radios feel slightly better in my hand - but that's just personal preference. Battery life is excellent so far. I get about 5 days on standby with about an hour of actual use in that time.

Let us know what you decide!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
As in most things, with radios you usually get what you pay for. The Wouxun radio you noted has a superhet receiver (that's good); the specs for the Retevis did not specify the receiver type, but many Retevis radios use the standard "radio on a chip" design, which is not as selective as a proper superhet design. I've had several Wouxun radios and all were good performers.

ts1000

Thank for you for the follow ups.

Retevis specs are bellow (they are in the top right corner of the link I noted originally).

Looking at it, it does not have same words as the the other radio, but I am not sure if there is an assumption that all radios would have it, and that's why they Retevis does not mention it.

For example scanning. I think that's when a radio automatically searches for channels.

Wouxun mentions it, but Retevis does not. It seems like a useful function, in case I and my family member forgot what FQ we agreed to use, or someting (or may be I am misunderstanding the feature).
As @chief21 noted, Revetis does not specify if it uses superhet or not (It looks like I need to read on this too).
And it is not clear if software programming is supported (and what special, if any features it can unlock).

Sofar I am leaning toward Wouxun, because it mentions 'scanning', 'FM radio', 'programmable'. And Retevis does not. But price of Retevis for a multi-person family seems to be a much more approachable.

Retevis specs:
Specifications:
ModelRT76P
Frequency RangeGMRS
Channel number30
RF Power<5W
Frequency Stability±2.5ppm
Working Voltage7.4V DC
Antenna AllocationPauperization antenna
Antenna Impedance50Ω
Working modeSame frequency single working or
different frequency single working
Transmitter:
Adjacent Channel Power≥65dB/≥62dB
Wide/Narrow0.75kHz土0.1 kHz/0.4kHz土0.1kHz
Audio Distortion≤5%
Modulation Sensitivity8-12mV
Maximum Frequency Deviation≤5KHz/≤2.5KHz
Spurious Power≤7.5uW
Modulation Mode16KΦF3E/ 11 KΦF3E
Transmit current≤1.6A
Preemphasis Character6dB/every time the frequency will increase
Receiver:
Sensitivity≤0.2uV/≤0.25uV
Voice Output Power≥500mW
Audio Distortion≤5%
Obstruct≥85dB
Intermodulation≥65dB/≥60dB
Adjacent Channel Selection≥65dB/≥60dB
Spurious Rejection≥65dB
Receiving current≤430mA

ts1000

Thank you for suggestion. I could not find "Anyone 878" model.
I did find Anytone 878
Looking at it
seems very interesting for my future state HAM setup.

If you're going Chinese get the Anyone 878. The rest of them are inferior.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I had several different Chinese radios. Some had superhet receivers and others had direct conversion. Neither of them perform very well in urban areas with lots of RF around, even the Anytone. Fortunately I don't spend a lot of time in those areas. I still think Anytone is the best bang for the buck. Lots of support and mods available to.

Status
Not open for further replies.