• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help Converting analog SPECTRA A-5 to A7 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Motorola Spectra

I have two Motorola Spectra's.

The first is a UHF Model D44KMA7JA5BK (UHF A-5) it has a HLN6094B Command Board and HVN6013A V2.16 (HLN6110B) MLM. This radio was used in a vehicle for a number of years and developed the "capacitor problem". I use it for HAM and GMRS.

15 years back I recapped the UHF A-5 radio with what I felt were appropriate parts, but it has a popping noise when the audio opens and closes. I suspect the command board might have residual traces of electrolyte though it appears clean. So for past 15 years it has been shelved.

The second radio is an 800 MHz model D35KGA5JC7AK (800 MHz C7). it has a HLN6094C Command Board and HVN6026A V6.06 (HLN6160B) MLM.

This 800 MHz C7 radio has operated flawlessly as a desktop monitor until this past year, as it is now functionally obsolete due to P25 system change-out and thus I would like to use it to repair and upgrade the UHF A-5.

What I am seeking to do is:

1) Swap the good HLN6094C Command Board into the UHF A-5 radio to restore its functionality.

2) Swap the 800 MHz C-7 Front control head onto the UHF A-5 radio and upgrade it to an A-7 model.

I am pretty certain I have the "tools" to do this, however it has been so many years since I have programmed these (yes I have a low clock speed DOS workstation).

Can someone outline the procedures I will need to follow to accomplish this? I am certain I will have to record the tuning values from the A-5 radio beforehand in order to get it close to operational. But I am wondering if having the C-7 MLM will streamline the model conversion.

Thanks! Joe K4SAT

jim202

i guess my post didn't make it the first time.

Here is a link to the repeater-builders site that provides the info your looking for to change control head models. It also has some other good information.

Spectra Hachs and Bit-Banging

The Spectra has been a workhorse for many years and still going strong. I have a number of them that I use on both the VHF and UHF ham bands. Have modified the codeplugs to allow for multi PL and zone operation.

I use the zones for the different regions that I drive into frequently. This way I can program up the repeaters for each of the zones and not have to worry about do I have the channel in the radio or not.

The multi PL selection lets me program up 16 of the more common TX PL tones so that I can change the tone on the fly if I need to.

Contact me if you run into problems and I can probably steer you in the right direction.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks Jim;

Would it be best to do the board replacement service with the RSS on the target UHF radio, then swap MLM's and bit bang the upgrade MLM to match the UHF radio? I assume this would restore the tuning values to the command board?

After bit banging should I be able to install a UHF codeplug from archive?

It is a bit unclear what happens when I change the frequency band and model of the MLM. At some point there will be a mismatch of the 800 frequencies and C7 model contained in it and the new UHF A5 conventional personality the MLM supports.

Also, is there any cross reference to see what features are gained by using a later MLM version? I am surprised no one has documented that.

cmdrwill

Best to fix the problem instead of just 'swapping boards' which I do NOT recommend.

Jamming in codeplugs is not recommended either.

You can run either A5, A7, C5 or C7 control heads on the A5 radio.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am pretty sure the command board has electrolyte contamination, so swapping a working newer version of command board is what i intend to do.

Please reread my original post.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Also I want all the button features of the -7 control head. I dont think that will happen with tha A5 radio unless I bit bang the MLM.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Please explain how I should fix the radio in question and upgrade the model to A7

Status
Not open for further replies.