Help creating a Favorites list by the easy to read manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfw1193

The topic in the Manual: Creating a Favorites List from the Database

The specific verbage I need help with:

The easiest way to create a list is to select(or turn off) any Nationwide Systems then use Add Channels
On Range to specify a location, set the range, and the service types you want to listen to, and import
channels from the full database to a new list.

What I have done:

Using sentinel I have:

1. Created a new profile called Range50
2. Using the profile editor I have edited the Range50 profile as listed.
a: Service Types all selected
b: Location setting I have entered a zipcode 76063
c: I have set range to 50.0
d: I have checked on the Scan Selection Monitor Full Database and unchecked with no result difference
e: Under Scan Selection I have turned on Download and turned on Monitor

I have tried the following:

Under Edit I have picked Add Channels on Range once again entering the zip code 76063
Also selecting the profile again when asked Range 50

The program message "Finished appending channesl on the range to favorites list"

But nothing was added to the favorites list when I checked by using Edit favorites list

Under Edit favorite lists / options I have

a: Location control YES
b: Startup Config Key 9 selected.

MY THOUGHTS:

I wanted the sentinnel to create a favorites list I named to include all monitorable frequencies/systems etc. within a 50 mile range centered on zip code 76063.

Why is the software not doing this?

I reread the verbage listed above and could not find an IMPORT from full database option anywhere.

Someone please explain how I can create a favorites list based on the 50 mile location of zip 76063 please.

I am at a loss ... I have created many favorites lists by manually finding and appending the systems etc. to a favorites list from a state file and wanted now to create multiple Range ## favorites lists against the full database based on range to a zip location.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne in Texas

dfw1193

This is interesting .... over 84 views and only 1 reply which was not entirely correct now that I have been working with the database trying things. Here is what I have determined.

1. The only place you can specify a mile range is in a PROFILE and since you can only have 1 profile per scanner thus you can only specify 1 mile range as your default and you must also provide the zip code or long/lat settings saved in the profile.

2. Each favorites list has an option to enable or not the location control. Should you enable the location control it will use the range specified in the profile centered around the zip code or long/lat entered.

3. Here is the most interesting part I did not realize. When I created the favorite list I was trying ONLY to put in the favorite list those things which were in the range specified, however it DOES NOT work that way. For Example: I choose and set 5 mile range in the profile and enabled the location use in the favorite. When I avoided all Nationwide data under a Texas County as recommended in the guide then highlighted(selected) Texas on the USA List then pressed Edit/Add channels on Range specifying the favorite list I created the software added all service types(I had this selected) from the full database(I had this checked) for Texas State out to a range NOT MATCHING the range number in my profile. Its not the whole state but it goes as far south as Houston and North into Oklahoma and who knows how far east or west but far but not the whole state.

4. Based on my results then when I start the scanner scanning ... it is actually the scanner which then looks at the loaded info from #3 above then compares my location with the location and range of the loaded systems in #3 above and then ONLY scans those within the range specified in the profile. Anything outside of that range is there in the scanner but NOT SCANNED.

5. So no I cannot get a favorites list defined with just the information for the range specified into the favorites list, however I can setup a range from my location and just SCAN those within that range. I can easily determine what I want to here by modifying the service types ON/OFF toggle in the profile from the scanner menu.

6. So I am rethinking how I might want to accomplish this now.

Note: I discovered if I unchecked the Monitor full database and redid everything I could turn on the monitor/download flag of my other favorite lists already defind and when I did add to channels on range it would add those contents of my selected other favorites list to the created favorite lists ... so that was sort of neat also but different. Hence my comment that the Monitor full database was not a requirement all the time.

7. My observation to the answers to my question seem to indicate very few users actually know how the sentinnel software works relating to the database, favorite lists, profiles etc.

8. I thank everyone for viewing and maybe we can expand our knowledge on the software. Just a note the whole time I done this I was only working on the computer without the scanner connected.

Hope this helps someone ... I have expanded my knowledge today anyway.

Wayne in Texas

D

darunimal

You do need to have Scan Selection>Monitor Full Database checked On to add channels.

then afterwords goto
Menu
.....Manage Favorites
..........Range50
..................Add Current dB Channels
.........................E ( YES )

After that goto
Menu
.....Set Scan Selection
.............Select list to monitor
....................Full Database change it to off OFF

CalmWind

I just got my Scanner a few days ago and have been going the same bumps trying to set up favorites lists. It is had to know what you can or cannot do if you are familiar enough with the systems to know what has to be set how prior to performing some action.

I was trying to set up a Favorites list for just one Trunked system in my area. I think I realize you can't do that directly on the Radio so I went to the Sentinel software and was able to do it there. Next I will try to set just specific Departments.

I suppose I am basically setting a goal and finding and clearing roadblocks involved in whatever process is being used. The learning curve is fairly steep initially, but once you get past some of the basics, it levels off considerably.

Currently, since I live in a busy area, I choose to set a distance of 0 or 5 to cut down on sites outside my immediate area.

Status
Not open for further replies.