Help deciding on Christmas gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondering42

Hi, I want to get my husband a scanner for Christmas. The great folks on the regional board for where we live have helped me figure out that, where we live is currently phase 1 but may go phase 2 in the future. I've decided to get a phase 2 scanner. These are the model I'm looking at, and would appreciate advise as to which is best.
Uniden BCD996p2
Uniden BCD325p2
RadioShack Pro-668

He has never owned a scanner before (well except in the 1970's, and it seems like things have changed a lot),
so it would help if it Newb-Friendly!

Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I want to get my husband a scanner for Christmas. The great folks on the regional board for where we live have helped me figure out that, where we live is currently phase 1 but may go phase 2 in the future. I've decided to get a phase 2 scanner. These are the model I'm looking at, and would appreciate advise as to which is best.
Uniden BCD996p2
Uniden BCD325p2
RadioShack Pro-668

He has never owned a scanner before (well except in the 1970's, and it seems like things have changed a lot),
so it would help if it Newb-Friendly!

Thanks!
Hi wondering

I have the BCD325P2, and it works very well. While I do not have the BCD996P2, it should work the same, the difference being that the 996P2 is a base-mobile scanner, and the 325P2 is the handheld (portable) sibling.

I do not have the RadioShack Pro-668. While, from all reports, it's a good scanner, RadioShack has all but abandoned the scanner market. They are no longer supporting them for repair or firmware updates. That would make me think twice about acquiring one, unless it was a deal too good to pass up.

Instead, consider the Whistler WS1080 which is the same scanner (Whistler makes the 668 for The Shack). There is also the WS1088, which adds a numeric keypad. This is a scanner that has the RadioReference database in it via a micro-SD memory card. You can enter your location, and the scanner will then load active frequencies in your area. There are also base-mobile versions, the WS1095 and the WS1098. (The 1098, like the 1088, has a numeric keypad, not found on the 10/0 & 1095).

For easiest to use, plus a very good display, also consider the Uniden Home Patrol 2. This scanner also has the full database on a memory card. It is "Newb-Friendly" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.