Help! Did I get ripped off by "The Marshmallow Kid"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastingsmedic

Hello folks.
Did anyone else out there buy anything from Bryan Poulin aka the "Marshmallow Kid" from this site?
I believe he is in the Barrie Ontario area, and he was advertising a "new radio shop" and was offering deals on scanners in January. He was slow shipping, never sent a receipt, and now his contact number doesn't work, won't answer PMs or email, and I am having a devil of a time getting in touch with him for service problems.
Anyone have a contact number or is he just a crook?

Hastingsmedic

jellotor

Did you try canada411.com? There's a B Poulin in Barrie listed on that site...

Not that I don't sympathise, but you gotta appreciate the internet's ability to make a scam or a crook out of anyone or anything. What did you buy from him?

(As an aside, after hearing a few horror stories about shipping and scams here...especially across the border...I only ever purchase used gear from people in Ontario and I typically try to pick it up in person. The gas money may be more than the shipping but I consider it a bit of 'insurance.')

MetalCarnage

Lol, the name alone would have me questioning things....i never do business with anyone on here unless i know they are a frequent user who has been around on the forum a few days...or years for that matter....dunno what to say, keep trying, maybe this is like the dude that i think novo1010 had probs with before where the guy was apparently in the hospital for a month and a half, lol

nova1010

MetalCarnage said:
Lol, the name alone would have me questioning things....i never do business with anyone on here unless i know they are a frequent user who has been around on the forum a few days...or years for that matter....dunno what to say, keep trying, maybe this is like the dude that i think novo1010 had probs with before where the guy was apparently in the hospital for a month and a half, lol

Nope wrong guy,the guy I had problems with was in Frackville PA,took along time (6 weeks)I think to get my radio back,Ive delt with hastingsmedic before,good guy to deal with,thats just not right to see one of the good guys getting scammed,If theres anyway I can help you out Andrew just ask,I'll do all I can to help you.good luck

hastingsmedic

Thanks Guys

Yeah, gotta take your chances online eh? I did get the scanners from him ( I got 12 BCT8s from him for our local Paramedics) but came in two shipments, and took three weeks longer than he said. Four of the BCT8s are exhibiting the garbled audio phenomenon, so now I have to butt heads with Lectron, and have no receipts to prove anything.
Thanks for the Canada411 suggestion, I tried Canadayellowpages and got nothing.
Nova1010: Thanks for the kind words!

Oh well.

Hastingsmedic

jellotor

hastingsmedic said:
Yeah, gotta take your chances online eh? I did get the scanners from him ( I got 12 BCT8s from him for our local Paramedics) but came in two shipments, and took three weeks longer than he said. Four of the BCT8s are exhibiting the garbled audio phenomenon, so now I have to butt heads with Lectron, and have no receipts to prove anything.
Thanks for the Canada411 suggestion, I tried Canadayellowpages and got nothing.
Nova1010: Thanks for the kind words!

Oh well.

Hastingsmedic

Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm not sure if you'll get any satisfaction from anyone considering you have no receipts. Perhaps a report to your local constabulary is in order, but I suspect it won't be a high priority.

Tough one.

rhutch

I'm always surprised, people try to save a buck by buying used stuff, or stuff from the internet and then complain when they don't get service. You know thats what the difference is between the cheap price you paid and the price at the reputable dealer. As for bothering the police don't waste your time or their's,it's a civil matter, they have way more important things to do then be bothered with crap like that (especially when you actually got the product) Let the buyer beware. Maybe he's out of business, if he treated everyone like you described that wouldn't be to surprising

Last edited:

hastingsmedic

Point Taken

Well, he said he was a Uniden Rep; I assumed there was some sort of legitimacy associated with being able to order and sell their product en-masse.

I have to say that the radio problems are a Uniden issue, not a sales issue (faulty transistor found by Lectron radio). And frankly, the $100 per scanner I saved compared to going to a store makes the headaches somewhat worthwhile.

Unfortunately $100 is a big deal to some of us, for a hobby.

Hastingsmedic

Status
Not open for further replies.