Help - Electric dryer repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitby

Premium Subscriber
I am stumped with our dryer and I could use some help figuring everything out.

Last week, our electric dryer stopped heating up. The motor runs and the drum turns, but no heat, only air.

Since its 17 years old, I figured it was the element or maybe one of the thermal fuses or thermostats. Since I could get the parts cheaply, I went ahead and replaced the element and all thermostats and thermal switches. Sadly, no heat.

I've spent the last few hours troubleshooting the wiring. I've got continuity on the wires. I also checked all the thermal switches and they have continuity. I even pulled the drum and checked the continuity of the wires to the motor, and everything is ok.

I'm pretty puzzled as to what is going on with this one. If anyone has any tips, i'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks,

Warren

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you covered most of the bases... If it's an oldie, it probably has a motor driven cam that activates different switches as it runs it through the cycle(s). (I'd check the cam switches along with the other stuff on the top console (ie any Hot medium cool switch and anything else that might be there).

I've muddled with a few old dryers and I can recall seeing a schematic sheet glued somewhere inside... Does yours have one? If not, you might be lucky enough to find one for your model on the internet.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've muddled with a few old dryers and I can recall seeing a schematic sheet glued somewhere inside... Does yours have one? If not, you might be lucky enough to find one for your model on the internet.
It's usually behind the control panel, at least that is where mine have been. There's usually some great help on the internet for these kinds of things, and parts are easy/cheap.

Recently replaced the motor on a Kenmore that was left behind when we bought our house back in 2002. Looks like it's from the early 90's. Built well and easy to work on.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Are you getting power from both "phases" L1 and L2 (240V) from the breaker box? In most dryers the motor runs from one line to neutral (120V) so the motor and timer will all work yet no heat because no power on one phase (L2). Check the outlet for proper power, then the cord for continuity inside the dryer.

You might have a bad two pole breaker in the breaker panel.

If that all looks good, then there could also be a switch or fuse inside the dryer unit you are missing.

http://www.gridgit.com/postpic/2012/11/kenmore-dryer-motor-centrifugal-switch_1260074.jpg

Wiring Diagram For Kenmore Series 80 Dryer - wiring diagram for kenmore series 80 dryer together with Sloanbooks.com

wwhitby

Premium Subscriber
I did more trouble shooting last night, and it turned out that the switch is bad. I was able to use the wiring diagram and find out where I had the problem.

I did check the outlet and I was getting 220.

I deeply appreciate everyone's help - thanks!

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.