help finding a radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiohead222

I should have my license soon after the holidays so I'm asking for a mobile ham radio for Christmas. I'm looking for a 136 to 174 MHz radio. I want one that works well but isn't too expensive. Maybe one with a remote head considering I don't have tons of room in my truck. I'm about to have one in my truck for the fire department but I really want one that is mine and can do what I want with it. Also to monitor the other tactical channels and just to have fun with. I need one that can pick up that pick up digital considering Tallahassee switched to digital.

Any help would be awesome.
Jon

JoeyC

For what you stated you want to listen to, you'll need a SCANNER not a ham radio. For the Tallahassee system you'll need a digital scanner. Ham radios won't receive it.

If you are thinking of transmitting on those other tactical channels (in analog) not provided in your fire dept rig, that is not legal.

thaibjj

For what you stated you want to listen to, you'll need a SCANNER not a ham radio. For the Tallahassee system you'll need a digital scanner. Ham radios won't receive it.

If you are thinking of transmitting on those other tactical channels (in analog) not provided in your fire dept rig, that is not legal.

I am on the fire department if I didn't state that earlier, sorry. I know what I can and can not do. No, I am not wanting to transmit with a radio not issued by the fire department. Just wanting to be able to be on 2 channels at once and not miss anything. I would only transmit with local radio groups. I wouldn't do anything that I'm not allowed to do or anything illegal.

RadioDaze

I think Joey's main concern is that no ham rig is FCC-type accepted for out-of-band transmitting like that. Digital is a problem, as far as finding that in a ham radio. I'd love it if my FT-60 had digital, otherwise it works great as a scanner on analog.

You'd probably need to get a dual-band rig to get a detachable faceplate, unless someone know a 2-meter only rig that include one.

This scanner will give you digital and a detachable face plate option:
Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Police Scanner Radio

Sounds like the FD is giving you a mobile radio, not a handheld... right?

This is one of those problems that can always be solved by throwing money at it :)

kb2crk

for analog the motorola maxtrac and maratracs can be had cheap on ebay. problem is they are analog only and have to be programed. the maratrac is a remote head type radio.

radiohead222

I think Joey's main concern is that no ham rig is FCC-type accepted for out-of-band transmitting like that. Digital is a problem, as far as finding that in a ham radio. I'd love it if my FT-60 had digital, otherwise it works great as a scanner on analog.

You'd probably need to get a dual-band rig to get a detachable faceplate, unless someone know a 2-meter only rig that include one.

This scanner will give you digital and a detachable face plate option:
Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Police Scanner Radio

Sounds like the FD is giving you a mobile radio, not a handheld... right?

This is one of those problems that can always be solved by throwing money at it :)

FD is giving me a mobile I already have a handheld it's just a pain because because our held held str vhf and it's just a pain. I'm currently working with TFD to figure everything out.

N8IAA

FD is giving me a mobile I already have a handheld it's just a pain because because our held held str vhf and it's just a pain. I'm currently working with TFD to figure everything out.

Digital scanner is the way to go then. Handheld for easier portability.
Larry

zz0468

QRT
Banned

If you're getting a department issued radio, why not ask if they can program up the ham channels you want in it? Most current production radios will work in the ham bands just fine, in addition to the public safety frequencies you might need. Then, get the ham rig for Christmas, and install it at the house.

Ask... the worst they could say is no.

clintbradford

There isn't an amateur VHF-only detachable head mobile rig out there - as far as I know.

There's a dual-band (2M and 440 ham bands) SINGLE receive detachable head Yaesu FT7900 (replaced the FT7800).

And it's big brother - dual-band DUAL receive detachable head FT8800. Which is cool - because you can monitor two freqs simultaneously. But there's more ...

My Kenwood dual-band dual-receive mobile rig allows two separate speakers to be utilized. That means that without taking your eyes off the road, you can tell which band is being received by where te sound is coming frm. (I have one speaker mounted above and behind me - the second with the mobile rig on the transmission hump.

What model of car are you using for this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.