Help fixing R.S. Mag Mount Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6RDC

I've taken a couple of pictures from other posts to try to see if I can explain the problem I'm having with
my Radio Shack mag mount antenna. Mine is loose between the black plastic base and the top chrome
piece. When I go into the bottom all I see is a rivet which makes sense by looking at the picture from
izzjy4's pictures he posted. But I can't seem to figure out how to separate the top and bottom parts,
mine just spins freely....maybe I'm missing something simple here but I'd appreciate any input as
to how I can get it apart so I can clean and re-tighten everything.
Thanks!
N6RDC

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 708
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 421

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You take it apart from the top.

You already have one in front of you.

If you have to remove the rivet, just drill it out with a fractional size drill bit. Making sure not to use a size that will conflict with a new rivet or bolt that you will have to use to put it back together.

For a long time, I threw away old antennas. Then I had a good scanner antenna break, I tore it apart and combined the magnet from one antenna with the mast of the other and made one really good antenna. It will not stick to the roof of a vehicle when you are traveling 100 miles a hour down the interstate, but will hold it to the car if you are going 50 - 60.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Hey N6RDC,

Is it just the plastic black cover that is loose or is it the actual holder / screw?

Before you actually drill out the rivit, you want to see it it's just the cover, the element hold or the actual screw for the element holder base like in my photo.

Remove the antenna element from the base and then see if you can unscrew the metal base (righty tighty, lefty loosey). After doing this, wiggle the screw that protrudes out of the base and see if that is loose. If its the screw you will need to remove the black cover. You'll need to remove all of the protective tape at the bottom of the assembly and simply you should be able to lift the cover off. If the cover is loose, then there is really no way keep it tight unless you can fine a clip washer like those used in tuff-boxes to hold the cover struts with.

If its not, remove the cover, then go and see if it is the screw or if it is the base where the rivet is. If its the screw, tighten it up (if I remember right the nuts were 5/16 in size). If it is the rivet then drill it out and get yourself a good width screw, bolt and washers. You may have to cut down the length of the machine screw to fit properly.

Unfortunately in my case, I could not unscrew the element holder from the bolt inside due to it being rusted out and I had to destroy the cover, then cut the bolt and drill out the bolt from the element holder. If its rusted up you might want to try like a liquid wrench loosening product to help free up the holder from the bolt. You can just pour it in where the antenna hole is on top of the holder since the bolt is the "base" when screwed on.

Otherwise it might be better just buying a new one from RS and keep this as a spare.

Last edited:

N6RDC

Thanks jbantennaman & izzyj4, I got it. I was able to unscrew the top chrome piece from the
black plastic base by pulling up as I turned.....the nuts inside were loose and the top would just spin.
Once apart I was able to really tighten the two nuts and then put the top back on securely.
For a cheap antenna I've had good results for scanner reception as well as 2 meter & 70 cm. ham use.
Thanks again,
N6RDC

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Cool man, sorry I haven't been on the board in a few days. Also too make sure that you clean off any rust under there so you don;t end up in the same situation as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.