Help for a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4SYW

I am interested in becomeing a ham radio opperator. I was wondering what are some good suggestions of a good (but not too expensive) radio for a beginner. Thanks.

scannerboy01

The kind of radio would depend on what radio bands you are authorized to use and which country you come from. In Canada, they have different band plans and license classes compared to the United Sates.

reedeb

HI there as a ham operator I would suggest getting a study guide and getting at least a Technition license first. THEN start looking for a 2 meter [144-148 megahertz] or a dual band 2 meter/70 centimeter radio [144-148 &440-448 megahertz]

Study guides are easy to get I think Radio Shack MIGHT have them stil,l or go on line to HRO [Ham Radio Outlet] and look up their study guides. [you can order and they can send you what you need to study. ALSO since most if not all who work there are Hams themselves they can tell you what you need for study guides].

Don't buy a radio thinking you'll be able to learn off it. You DO need a study guide, as you need a license to LEGALLY operate it.

reedeb

I've had a chance to try a Puxing and I would go with a Kenwood or the likes faster than that junk. My ancient HTX202 I bough at Radio Shack in the 90's is way better . Side by side my old rig could out recieve and out transmit than the thing could.

BUT read my previous post and get your ticket BEFORE you worry about a radio.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I've had a chance to try a Puxing and I would go with a Kenwood or the likes faster than that junk. My ancient HTX202 I bough at Radio Shack in the 90's is way better . Side by side my old rig could out recieve and out transmit than the thing could.

BUT read my previous post and get your ticket BEFORE you worry about a radio.

Or one could just buy a cell phone and avoid being a radio geek. They would get more women this way.

reedeb

Or one could just buy a cell phone and avoid being a radio geek. They would get more women this way.

Ignore this Childish Buffoon [CB operator] He has an agenda about hams [probably couldn't pass the tech test and shows his anger] Being a ham is NOT being a radio geek in fact MANY important people have in the past and still are hams. study for it and pass the test.

KK4SYW

Ignore this Childish Buffoon [CB operator] He has an agenda about hams [probably couldn't pass the tech test and shows his anger] Being a ham is NOT being a radio geek in fact MANY important people have in the past and still are hams. study for it and pass the test.

Thanks for your help. I am going to buy a study guide soon. Again thanks for your help.

reedeb

You are welcome . get the book study AND if they have a class in your aea take it. Many Ham clubs do have classes that help you understand the stuff and a good way to meet hams . Found this looking around http://www.worldradiomagazine.com/arc_listing_o-z.html#t They have a listing of some ham groups who may be able to help you as well. Good luck and get yer ticket!!

Last edited:

KC5AKB

Lots of good hams out there

Thanks for your help. I am going to buy a study guide soon. Again thanks for your help.

You will find lots of help if you just ask.
If I can help let me know.
Drop me a pm and I will send you my email and phone number

Status
Not open for further replies.