Help for a Novice in Albuquerque (Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luketemp

Hi all,

Looking for help understanding what will be required to monitor the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County system (Albuquerque / Bernalillo County Trunking System, Albuquerque, New Mexico - Scanner Frequencies).

I've been trying to do my homework on this site, and have reached a point of confusion on the following (seeming) contradiction:

According to the network page in the database, the system voice is ProVoice and Analog.

According to this article linked from the Scanning 101 page (https://wiki.radioreference.com/images/c/c7/Trunking_description.pdf), " ProVoice – cannot be heard by any scanner".

Then, there's this page, which says that ProVoice systems CAN be monitored:

Can someone please help me understand:

- Can ProVoice systems be monitored, or not? Specifically, can the one for this network?
- How can I tell which parts of my target network are ProVoice vs Analog? Would it be certain channels? Or certain sites within the network?
- Ultimately, all I really want to know is: What is a good basic scanner that can get me listening to the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County system, to the extent possible, for the least investment necessary. I'm willing to spend good money on a good piece of equipment, but don't anticipate anything more than basic needs.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

Cheers!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@luketemp you will get better answers if you click on the REPORT link in the bottom left corner and ask for this to be moved to the New Mexico Forum. People outside of NM might help some but really don't know your system or area for scanning.

nd5y

- Can ProVoice systems be monitored, or not?
A few scanner models can receive unencrypted ProVoice digital audio.
If the digital audio is encrypted then no scanner can receive it.

Look at the Mode column in the talkgroup section of the database link you posted.
Hover the mouse over Mode and you will get a popup description of the column.
A = Analog - Any trunking scanner can receive that.
D = Digital - The Uniden models with ProVoice upgrade can receive that.
DE = Digital Encrypted - No scanner can receive that. You are SOL.
M = Mixed Analog/Digital - Some transmissions are A and some are D. Some might possibly be DE.

Note that all of the above applies to the whole system. You will be able to hear some things but not others.

otiska

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Looking for help understanding what will be required to monitor the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County system (Albuquerque / Bernalillo County Trunking System, Albuquerque, New Mexico - Scanner Frequencies).

I've been trying to do my homework on this site, and have reached a point of confusion on the following (seeming) contradiction:

According to the network page in the database, the system voice is ProVoice and Analog.

According to this article linked from the Scanning 101 page (https://wiki.radioreference.com/images/c/c7/Trunking_description.pdf), " ProVoice – cannot be heard by any scanner".

Then, there's this page, which says that ProVoice systems CAN be monitored:

Can someone please help me understand:

- Can ProVoice systems be monitored, or not? Specifically, can the one for this network?
- How can I tell which parts of my target network are ProVoice vs Analog? Would it be certain channels? Or certain sites within the network?
- Ultimately, all I really want to know is: What is a good basic scanner that can get me listening to the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County system, to the extent possible, for the least investment necessary. I'm willing to spend good money on a good piece of equipment, but don't anticipate anything more than basic needs.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

Cheers!

When I visit Abq, I use a Uniden BCD436HP handheld scanner. In order to receive ProVoice, you also have to purchase and install the ProVoice update from Uniden, which at the time I did it, the cost was $50. It works great for me.

ProVoice is being phased out and there are not many locations using it anymore. The other city that I do use ProVoice is San Antonio. Eventually it won't be used much anywhere. As far as I know, Abq isn't planning to drop their use of it for a good while.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The scanners capable of ProVoice via paid upgrades are the Uniden BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200. Whistler scanners are not capable of ProVoice.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Keep in mind that ABQ and BernCo will be moving to a P25 system soon and it sounds like all LE will be encrypted. ::Sad Face::

luketemp

Looks like the BCD325P2 is going to be the best option price-wise. Any thoughts on whether an outboard antenna is necessary? ABQ Metro area is about 20 miles across, and shaped like a giant, shallow V in terms of topography - no big hills within the city. Thoughts? thanks :)

ChrisABQ

Rumors that BCFD will changeover in October 2020, but with Covid, anything is possible. It's almost impossible to get bad reception on the current ProVoice system while in the city. East mountains is the only place that's choppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.