Help for choosing a transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

F8RFL

Folks,

First, know that I used an online translator, forgive me if the translation is approximate.

I have the same transceiver since 1987. It works well for me but it's time to change it to something more modern : yes, I use a Sommerkamp FT-7B !

For reasons of cost and versatility, two transceiver have retained my attention, but I may be forgotten other:

Icom IC-7000 and Yaesu FT-897D

The rig will be used in fixed (QRA) all bands and all modes (with PC too)

I am aware that the IC-7000 embeds a newer technology and more functionality than the yaesu that it seems more robust.
But I wonder about the durability of my purchase. For example I have an idea that the display of the icom could be a source of problems in the future. What do you think about ?

Yet this screen is much more pleasant than the display of 897d. I like the technology tips but especially when is reliable over time.

From your experience, which one (or another) you choose and why? (Knowing that this will be the only transceiver in the station and the price must not exceed $ 1,500)

To listen all your suggestions.

73"

Eric.

LtDoc

Eric,
I have found that most of the 'newer' radios are very roughly comparable in abilities. So I tend to consider the 'options' available as being as important as the 'brand' name. Another feature that has become more important to me in the last several years is a radio's size. It's nice that things can be miniaturized into such small packages, but that miniaturization also means that I have trouble seeing the displays and using those very small controls!
I won't attempt to choose between the two radios you listed, I'm not familiar enough to be able to make a good decision about them. Each has features that sound nice. Both also are not as convenient to use as some of the 'older' radios, just too @#$ small! Just something -else- to think about...
- 'Doc

F8RFL

Thank you for your answers.

For budget reasons, I chose a Yaesu 857D for a fair price. I'm not unhappy with my purchase and I will certainly be happy when I have mastered it :)

It's nice that things can be miniaturized into such small packages, but that miniaturization also means that I have trouble seeing the displays and using those very small controls!
Definitely.
At the same time I needed something I could take with me on the hills in my area. Fortunately all the functions of the rig are not essential; often used the same and probably some that I will never.

Here, the display is good, the controllers are ok but the menu are just a little boring to learn at first.

Thank's

73"

Paulsan

I would look at the Flex 3000 by Flexradio. If you order during a Hamfest they will give you the show price.

Status
Not open for further replies.