• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help for Motorola BPR 40's

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewlawson80

Please help. First off, let me say upfront that I have NO knowledge of the radio industry or how they work. My apologies. I had 6 BPR 40's for my business. We bought 4 more to add and I assumed they would all work together. "Assume", I know. Anyway, I checked behind the battery and they're all the exact same model #, but the 4 I just bought won't communicate with the 6 I have. Most of the channels on the new 4 just have the loud beep when you switch to them and the ones that don't beep won't communicate with the original 6. I literally have no idea what steps to take to make them all work together. I could really use some expert advice. Thank you for your time.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Please help. First off, let me say upfront that I have NO knowledge of the radio industry or how they work. My apologies. I had 6 BPR 40's for my business. We bought 4 more to add and I assumed they would all work together. "Assume", I know. Anyway, I checked behind the battery and they're all the exact same model #, but the 4 I just bought won't communicate with the 6 I have. Most of the channels on the new 4 just have the loud beep when you switch to them and the ones that don't beep won't communicate with the original 6. I literally have no idea what steps to take to make them all work together. I could really use some expert advice. Thank you for your time.
Take them to a Motorola radio shop along with a copy of your FCC license and have them programmed. It requires special software which can only be purchased from Motorola. The software is $299 plus the purchase cost of the dedicated interconnect cable. It also takes some expertise in radios to program them.

Since you admit you have no knowledge (bravo for saying so), just have them programmed by a Motorola shop. You will be out a lot less money and they'll be done right.

If you really want more detailed info, google bpr40 programming

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
As a System Technician for a large Motorola shop, I second the above advice. Alternatively, you could find someone online to send 1 known good radio and the 4 that need new programming (if cost is a concern). Most walk in type radio shops will charge a per radio fee or an hourly fee for the whole batch. In reality, if they are the same model number, it should not take more than a minute or two per radio.........TT

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Good advice! As was mentioned you will need your FCC license as it is required by law. It is against the law for anyone to program a radio with transmit frequencies that require an FCC license. The radios aren't difficult to program but unless you have the equipment and software and understand the lingo and it would be like overhauling your own car engine. Take them to a Motorola radio shop and in less than an hour you will be on your way.
BB

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in whether you want to hear it or not. I'm a full time radio tech and I have abundant experience with BPR40s.

If you ever need to buy any new radios, BUY ANYTHING ELSE next time. I hate those things with a passion. I have never seen such consistently poor performance out of any other kind of radio.

They are the essence of CHEAP. They rarely meet their specs after they've been used for a while. They're the only radio still made (that I know of) that still require the usage of mechanical adjustments to tune and align them. (PRIMITIVE!) And they have very common problems with receiver sensitivity going way down due to a common problem with the ceramic filters. (Which is a vendor's problem, to be fair about it. Motorola doesn't make those filters.)

I would never advise anyone to get BPR40s. Not even if they're free. My experiences with them have made me hate them and I believe they're the worst radio on the market. That's my opinion borne of more than seven years experience with the type.

drewlawson80

Thanks for all your help. I was reading over ElroyJetson's post and was wondering if there was a certain comparable radio that any of you would recommend to buy in the future.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all your help. I was reading over ElroyJetson's post and was wondering if there was a certain comparable radio that any of you would recommend to buy in the future.
We'd have to know your frequency and type of service. Might be best if you just give us your FCC call sign and we can look it up and get all the info needed to make a intelligent recommendation to you..

LDGodsey

BRP40 and BC130

Your radio's need to be programmed,
I have the same problem with a BC130, I have the software and the cables, but, have had no luck programming.
I have all drivers installed for 2 cables. one USB and one RS232.
I will try my XP computer and see if I have any luck.
If so, I will be able to help you.

LDGodsey

Your radio's need to be programmed,
I have the same problem with a BC130, I have the software and the cables, but, have had no luck programming.
I have all drivers installed for 2 cables. one USB and one RS232.
I will try my XP computer and see if I have any luck.
If so, I will be able to help you.
I can now program the BC130's if you still need it done,
Thank You
Lloyd Godsey

Status
Not open for further replies.