BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Help getting just one favorite list to work

tslayer71

Hi, I just bought my first scanner (BCD436HP) and am having fun. Trying to get my first / one favorite list to work is driving me insane! Here's what I want from Sentinel: USA->Colorado->Denver->Statewide->State of Colorado DTRS->Colorado State Patrol. I have no problem downloading this to my scanner. I assign the favorite list (CO State Patrol) a quick key of '0'. In 'Select lists to Monitor 'CO State Patrol' is on, Full Database/Search with Scan are both off. I try to turn my favorite list on by pressing '0' and E/yes. Just get a beep - doesn't turn on. The only way to get favorite list '0' on is by turning on Full database and then 'Set your location - Enter Zip Code'. Once favorite list 0 is on it scans everything in system 'State of Colorado DTRS' , while I only want Colorado State Patrol to scan in the State of Colorado DTRS system. I think it has something to do with hitting key '0' and then telling it the system to goto. Example 0.00, where 00 would be the system number in the favorites list? I've watched a bunch of youtube vidoes on this and I'm lost. If someone could point me to a doc or video or explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim

cg

Premium Subscriber
Did you set the QK to the system or to a specific Site? I believe the Site QK would be needed but I don't use my x36 for trunked systems.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you created this list using Sentinel. If so, did you set the list to "Download>On" and "Monitor>On" in Profile Editor? (It's the icon at the top left that looks like a pad and pencil.) Also, did you "Write To Scanner" afterwards?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please attach your favorites list file so that we can take a look at it. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to zip the exported file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

tslayer71

Thanks for all the reply's! I used Sentinel and did check 'download on' and 'monitor on' and wrote it to my scanner. I just turned on location control in the favorite list. I'm unsure entering Latitude and Longitude. From google maps my Latitude and Longitude is 39.68735 / 105.08835. How do I enter that - in the scanner appears as 00 00' 00.00 / 000 00' 00.00. I have attached my zipped up favorite file - thanks!

Attachments

• CO State Patrol.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 6

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the reply's! I used Sentinel and did check 'download on' and 'monitor on' and wrote it to my scanner. I just turned on location control in the favorite list. I'm unsure entering Latitude and Longitude. From google maps my Latitude and Longitude is 39.68735 / 105.08835. How do I enter that - in the scanner appears as 00 00' 00.00 / 000 00' 00.00. I have attached my zipped up favorite file - thanks!
Looking at your file, you do not have a quick key set for your Favorites list, and none set for the system (State of Colorado DTRS) nor the Department. Your Department, Colorado State Patrol, does have location data in it. But that only has the talkgroups for the agency, You also need to have the sites in range for your location.

Follow the Easier to Read manual link that nessnet posted. That tells you how to enter your location. But in order to use your favorites list, you need to include the sites that are in range for you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While entering your lat/long manually is perfectly fine, it is easier to just enter your zip code. That will get you in the ballpark.

You may want to confirm in your Profile that you have the appropriate Service Types turned on.

Rest assured you'll find the issue to be rather simple, as in one setting not correct. It's just tedious and frustrating to find.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
While entering your lat/long manually is perfectly fine, it is easier to just enter your zip code. That will get you in the ballpark.

You may want to confirm in your Profile that you have the appropriate Service Types turned on.

Rest assured you'll find the issue to be rather simple, as in one setting not correct. It's just tedious and frustrating to find.

Yea.... zip code entry will tell the radio the approx geographic center of that zip code.
I programmed precise rectangles for all my stuff, so I prefer precise lat/long.

Pro tip:
In your profile, enter in your zip code also.
Then, each time you write to the scanner, you know it is correct (for you 'base' location' anyway.
You can also save multiple locations and load them when needed.

tslayer71

From my previous post, where I told you how to do it.......

(Menu / set your location / Set Manual Location)

Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual
Hi, yes you did. I mean how should the format look like? (from google 39.68735 / 105.08835) So 39 68.73 / 105 08 83.5 when the choice on the scanner is 00' 00.00 / 000 00' 00.00. How do I enter it correctly? Thanks hiegtx. I'll look at nessnet manuel. I can figure out how to set quick keys for Favorite/System/Dept. Because there all different quick keys, lets say I chose '0' for all of them. After I turn on the favorite list with '0' and then E/Yes what else is involved? If I hit 0 to get to the favorite list do I then have to input something like: 0.00.0 to get to Favorite list/System/Dept? Thanks!

tslayer71

Nessnet after briefly looking at your manuel, it looks pretty comprehensive. I'll read the whole thing and if I still have questions I'll post them. Thanks!

tslayer71

In that same menu area, (Menu / set your location / Set Up GPS) you set the Location Format.
Use "DEG"
Thanks! Just started reading your revised manual. When I get some time I'll read through the whole thing. I know after I'm done I'll learn some good stuff. The one from Uniden is a little criptic to say the least.....