help getting on the air please

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldw3210

hello fellow hams,

ok i passed my test for tech, studying for general. I bought a cheap baofeng bf-f9v2+, just too get on the air.
I think i can legally get on air with this?? im waiting on the programming cable, but in the meantime im having trouble setting it up for repeater operation in the 19054 area.(i beleive im limited too only a couple bands modes and freqs as a tech) ive found a directory of repeaters but still cant seem too get it working.

been looking at all kinds of setup webpages and utube stuff, but still no go can anyone shed light on these radios setup

i put in the repeater freq, but then i think i need either a ctcss or a dcs? tone? enabled ?? is this correct

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The Baofeng radios are a bit of a pain to program from the keyboard. Not impossible by any means. First things first. Are you hearing the repeater(s) in question (if you can't hear em, you can't work em)? If you can hear the repeater, make sure you are in VFO (or frequency) mode. Next, verify the setting of Offset (0.600 for 2 meters and 5.00 for 440 Mhz). Verify SFT-D (shift direction), it is +, -, or off-and if Off you will be transmitting on the repeater output instead of the input even if the offset is correct (Yes I have made this mistake). check T-CTCS if the repeater requires a tone. Make sure R-CTCS and R-DCS are off. I leave the receive as 'open squelch' as there have been many problems with theses radios not receiving when set for RX tone squelch.

The above should allow you to use the repeater in VFO or Frequency mode. Saving to a memory channel takes multiple steps as after you 'save' the VFO (only A can be saved), you then have to save the TX again.

Remember a handheld has limited transmit range so you may or may not be able to 'work' the machine. If you have no luck with the repeater(s) try simplex (146.52 and 448.00). A better antenna would also help. Antennas work best the higher they are (so if you can get higher your range will improve even with the stock antenna). Antennas also like being in the open, so being outside (not in a vehicle) will help a lot.

Hope this helps and welcome to Amateur radio.

Last edited:

nd5y

I bought a cheap baofeng bf-f9v2+, just too get on the air.
I think i can legally get on air with this??
Yes.
i put in the repeater freq, but then i think i need either a ctcss or a dcs? tone? enabled ?? is this correct
This will teach you how to program and use the radio. F8HP 8W - Miklor Go there and read everything.
If you plan to use CHIRP programming software then go to Documentation - CHIRP and read everything.

I can't help you with repeaters in your area because I don't know which ones require tones.
For ham use you only need to transmit a tone. That is Menu 13 T-CTCS in the radio.

For a reference between Baofeng radio menus and CHIRP settings go to https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Baofeng_UV-5R#UV-5R_and_UV-82_Menus_vs_CHIRP_Settings

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
(i beleive im limited too only a couple bands modes and freqs as a tech)
Others have answered your radio programming questions, but I want to address this comment.

What bands and modes you can use with a Technician license should have been covered in your studying for the test. In case it wasn't, with a Technician license, you can use any amateur radio band above 30 MHz and use any mode of communications on those bands. Below 30 MHz, you can use CW, RTTY, and other data modes on a portion of the 10m band and SSB voice on another small part of 10m. You can also use CW on portions of the 80m, 40m, and 15m bands.

geraldw3210

Others have answered your radio programming questions, but I want to address this comment.

What bands and modes you can use with a Technician license should have been covered in your studying for the test. In case it wasn't, with a Technician license, you can use any amateur radio band above 30 MHz and use any mode of communications on those bands. Below 30 MHz, you can use CW, RTTY, and other data modes on a portion of the 10m band and SSB voice on another small part of 10m. You can also use CW on portions of the 80m, 40m, and 15m bands.

Hello and thank you for the reply

bands and modes was covered in my studies and testing, i have a band plan chart right by my desk too check before i do anything.

i just want too be sure of what im doing as a newbie i dont want too mess up and get into trouble.

geraldw3210

The Baofeng radios are a bit of a pain to program from the keyboard. Not impossible by any means. First things first. Are you hearing the repeater(s) in question (if you can't hear em, you can't work em)? If you can hear the repeater, make sure you are in VFO (or frequency) mode. Next, verify the setting of Offset (0.600 for 2 meters and 5.00 for 440 Mhz). Verify SFT-D (shift direction), it is +, -, or off-and if Off you will be transmitting on the repeater output instead of the input even if the offset is correct (Yes I have made this mistake). check T-CTCS if the repeater requires a tone. Make sure R-CTCS and R-DCS are off. I leave the receive as 'open squelch' as there have been many problems with theses radios not receiving when set for RX tone squelch.

The above should allow you to use the repeater in VFO or Frequency mode. Saving to a memory channel takes multiple steps as after you 'save' the VFO (only A can be saved), you then have to save the TX again.

Remember a handheld has limited transmit range so you may or may not be able to 'work' the machine. If you have no luck with the repeater(s) try simplex (146.52 and 448.00). A better antenna would also help. Antennas work best the higher they are (so if you can get higher your range will improve even with the stock antenna). Antennas also like being in the open, so being outside (not in a vehicle) will help a lot.

Hope this helps and welcome to Amateur radio.

hello , thanks for the info i had a couple of settings i needed too change like you stated, i put in all the info on the repeaters im trying too reach but no luck. something is not correct, im not sure what. im not hearing the repeaters.

i did get a better? antenna a nagoya na-771r, and i ordered some adapters too hook it up too my tram discone up on the roof, that might help a bit.

again thanks ill keep working on this im might get it figured out at some point

i contacted a local club im going too see if they can help me get on the air

geraldw3210

Yes.

This will teach you how to program and use the radio. F8HP 8W - Miklor Go there and read everything.
If you plan to use CHIRP programming software then go to Documentation - CHIRP and read everything.

I can't help you with repeaters in your area because I don't know which ones require tones.
For ham use you only need to transmit a tone. That is Menu 13 T-CTCS in the radio.

For a reference between Baofeng radio menus and CHIRP settings go to https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Baofeng_UV-5R#UV-5R_and_UV-82_Menus_vs_CHIRP_Settings

hi and thanks for the info

i am reading the miklor site its pretty good getting some info i need from there.

i have chirp installed already waiting too go when i get my cable
hopefully i can do a better job setting things up with chirp.

thanks

nd5y

Some people have receiver overload and desense problems with Baofeng radios when using a better or outdoor antenna. You could be getting into repeaters but not able to hear them unless they are within a few miles.

KD8DVR

Make sure that discover is designed to be used as a transmit antenna on 2m and 70cm . if it is just a scanner antenna, it won't work.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
You may try to pick up the National Weather service. This is a station that transmits continuously and so is a 'quick check' of your receiver. It looks like the station covering your area is on 162.475 Mhz. If you can hear that (and it should be "full quieting") I would say your receiver is ok.

Other than that, getting with the local club is a good idea- someone can walk you through troubleshooting and get you on the air.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Gerald, I haven't seen all the posts in this thread, so I may have overlooked it.
BUT; you say you can not hear the repeater(s). Have you turned off the CTCSS and DCS codes.

What I do sometimes; park my receiver on the output side of the repeater without any CTCSS or DCS, and listen for any activity.

geraldw3210

You may try to pick up the National Weather service. This is a station that transmits continuously and so is a 'quick check' of your receiver. It looks like the station covering your area is on 162.475 Mhz. If you can hear that (and it should be "full quieting") I would say your receiver is ok.

Other than that, getting with the local club is a good idea- someone can walk you through troubleshooting and get you on the air.

hello again

well i can get the weather station just fine, i also let the radio scan and i did hear some transmissions, dont know what or who they were but i was picking up stuff.

been 3-4 days and no replies from the local club??

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Well darn- hoped you could get some local help. OK knowing you are receiving something, my next step would be to program your local repeaters and simplex into memory 'channels'. making sure that you do not have any receive tone squelch programed (RX-CTCS is OFF). 2 meter simplex is 146.52 and 440 Mhz simplex is 446.000. Do you have a list of the local repeaters? Once they are all in 'channels, you can go into channel mode and scan them all. when you hear someone, give them a call after they complete their contact or they may just give their call to indicate they are listening. you may want to switch to frequency mode to 'work' a machine if you are not sure how to program a repeater into a channel.

Sadly a lot of the time no one is monitoring the repeater. If you hear conversations but no one answers you, see if you get a 'squelch tail' or beep from the repeater after transmitting. you should be using FM not narrow FM mode.

let us know if this helps-wish I could drop by and get you going.

Last edited:

geraldw3210

Hello again everyone

well still nothing but i think i did get some kind of transmission my receive light comes on ,screen turns blue for receive, but i hear nothing.???

heres what im trying too contact: all within my town i program tthese and save , i can scan them, scan will stop like im receiving but i hear nothing.

. . Fairless Hills 147.30000 + W3BXW BEARS o (t=3B=131.8) L RB WX e R A O

. . Fairless Hills 447.12500 – WA3BXW BEARS o (t=DPL) L RB WX (ca) R A O (what is DPL settings???)

. . Fairless Hills 53.03000 – W3BXW BEARS o (t=3B=131.8) RB WX (ca) R A O

. . Falls Twp. 927.65000 – WB0YLE WB0YLE o (t=4A=141.3) L

these are a little bit farther away: next town

. . Morrisville 145.25000 – WB0YLE WB0YLE o (t=1A=103.5) (ca) e LiTZ SNP

. . Morrisville 224.54000 – WB0YLE WB0YLE o (t=4A=141.3) L e

im getting close to getting something,

Many thanks for the help folks i really appreciate it.

geraldw3210

Hello again

YAAAAA!!!! i hit a repeater this morning, Found another amateur radio club site from a few towns away, they had listing of repeaters i plugged in the info and got an automated response from the repeater, but nothing else?? i did CQ a few times but no responses

im getting the hang of things, (this isnt really that difficult) and when i get mt programming cable i should be able too get a lot done on theese radios.

thanks everyone

geraldw3210

HI

Hilarious note here: i finally received a reply from the local club they will review my application, invited me too the next meeting and a fieldday coming up.

Then the guy tells me he lives 4 doors away just up the street from me , i pass his house almost every day HAH how about that, ill take a walk over soon to meet him and get my radios setup.

how cool is that

Status
Not open for further replies.