Status
Not open for further replies.

tip

Premium Subscriber
I am faced with a 'deaf' Home Patrol -

Firmware version: 2.02
Database version: 01/15/2012
Sentinel: 2.02 Rev4

Tried stock antenna as well as a Diamond SRH789.

First time in front of it, loaded up zip code (01464), Squelch set to 2 bars, Atten off, Range 15 miles (about 325 channels selected).

I see it running through channels selected from the full database, but it never sees a signal, no hits. Dept and Channel never highlight. Scanner sitting next to it is very active, I also entered a quick frequency, weather channel, and heard nothing.

Anything else to walk through here? At wits end. What am I missing??

Thanks.

Tom

Tramagod

This is just a shot in the dark Tom, but I had a similar situation a few months ago, I just turned off the attenuator all together and it statrted working just fine. You might try that.

rwier

Anything else to walk through here? At wits end. What am I missing??
Thanks.
Tom

Hi Tom, a dead HP-1 is a rare bird. Assuming the things you mentioned were done correctly, then guesses at
" What am I missing?:" would seem to be in order.

You did not mention "Select Service Types".

Menu
Select Service Types
How many are yellow, how many grey?

Also, did you try outdoors. Can you (for testing) find a rooftop, high tree (lol), hill top with trail to, or (even better) a road to the top?
Have you heard anything at all since you got the radio?
Rob

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It does not sound good since you also tried a direct WX frequency entry with no good results.

I agree with rwier's comment that a "dead HP-1 is a rare bird". That is very true indeed.

Is this a brand new HP-1? I hope so and maybe you can return it for replacement where you bought it rather than sending back to Uniden.
That would sure speed things up in getting you going.

I cannot think of anything else other than removing the batteries and trying the reset button inside the battery compartment.

Good Luck!

rwier

Tom

Hi Tom,

I just noticed that you have been an RR member since 2002, and this was your 5th post? Up until now, you must have been experiencing a run of unbelievable good luck, lol.

tip

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies all... some answers and a surprise ending:

tramagod - Atten was set to off (double checked).

kruser - did try the reset and battery removal early on before I sent request for help.

rwier - there were 20 yellow, and 11 grey (customs are not setup/grey as well. yes 2002, up till now have always been able to solve issues myself!! I know, lurking is a bad thing. I will do better.

Now for the surprise ending. Without doing anything else, and while surfing for answers, 15 minutes after I left my request for help, the thing came to life. I didn't touch it, had already gone through troubleshooting. Just left it on and all of a sudden it woke up! Honest!

Does the DB take a while to load?

Thanks all again.

Tom

rwier

Thanks for the replies all... some answers and a surprise ending:

tramagod - Atten was set to off (double checked).

kruser - did try the reset and battery removal early on before I sent request for help.

rwier - there were 20 yellow, and 11 grey (customs are not setup/grey as well. yes 2002, up till now have always been able to solve issues myself!! I know, lurking is a bad thing. I will do better.

Now for the surprise ending. Without doing anything else, and while surfing for answers, 15 minutes after I left my request for help, the thing came to life. I didn't touch it, had already gone through troubleshooting. Just left it on and all of a sudden it woke up! Honest!

Does the DB take a while to load?

Thanks all again.

Tom

Wow, that's great, if it ain't dead, we got a lot of answers on many functions of that nice radio.

Oh yeah, the question, no long delay that I can remember, but I went to FavLists right away.

rwier

Not many use the word "whisker" on a radio Forum, you must have been around a while, lol.

Going deep into the memory banks here, but "cat's whisker" seems to ring a bell, and I associate the word with the "Cub Scouts", lol, I must be dreaming.

rwier

OK, did a full RR Forum search on "whisker", and it showed up a bunch. Must be a whole lotta oldies here, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.